How would class wrestling work in Indiana?

decbell1

Participation ribbons to all, and free cokes after it's over.

Thank you for your participation in this thread. We will take your comment in the highest regard.

In your response, I really think we should just take the champions from each level of the tournament. Why are we letting losers into each step of the tournament? If we make it even harder to qualify that will be better for everyone.

Thank you for your participation in this thread. We will take your comment in the highest regard.

In your response, I really think we should just take the champions from each level of the tournament. Why are we letting losers into each step of the tournament? If we make it even harder to qualify that will be better for everyone.

It will be taken in as much as your repetitive posts about making wrestling more fair in Indiana.  Other states have class wrestling so they must be right.  You get extremely defensive when someone else disagrees with you on this topic.

Fact: If Indiana goes to a class system, fans will be lost!

It will be taken in as much as your repetitive posts about making wrestling more fair in Indiana.  Other states have class wrestling so they must be right.  You get extremely defensive when someone else disagrees with you on this topic.

Fans will be gained too.

Lets just have one weight class then.  Ohhh yes I said it! That way more fans will come watch just 4 kids battle it out for supreme wrestler of Indiana. If Colten Cummings works hard he can beat Shawn Streck, I 100% believe it.

Fans will be gained too.

Lets just have one weight class then.  Ohhh yes I said it! That way more fans will come watch just 4 kids battle it out for supreme wrestler of Indiana. If Colten Cummings works hard he can beat Shawn Streck, I 100% believe it.

And posts like that show that you just want to argue.  That comment is no more relevant than my post about participation ribbons.  Not one person on this thread has said a word about having 1 overall champion.  There should be 14 champions. 

How do you lose fans when participation level increases? Mom and dad gonna skip juniors match because it is classed?

How do you know participation levels are going to increase?

You are correct Y2 fans will be gained and fans will be lost.  You are just hearing the voices of the fans that will be lost.  No one is saying that Cummings can beat Streck, I just think we like to see a clear cut champ.

The classed system will undoubtedly pull in more wrestler participation, which in turn brings in more fans.  So I can't really argue that point.  The fact that people enjoy the current system shouldn't be an absurd idea.

And posts like that show that you just want to argue.  That comment is no more relevant than my post about participation ribbons.  Not one person on this thread has said a word about having 1 overall champion.  There should be 14 champions.

Because you comment wasn't meant to argue....right?

How do you know participation levels are going to increase?

Look at the increase in attendance at semi-state by adding 56 more wrestlers. Ohh wait it is watered down now and now we just give participation ribbons out since it's so easy to qualify for semi-state.

Again, I ask how is a single class individual tournament good for the sport of wrestling in our state?  I love the current tournament, but only because I like to watch it.  I like watching the Lakers and Knicks lose, too...but it isn't good for the NBA. 

We have proposed some hypotheses on how a two-class system would benefit Indiana wrestling.  So far, I have seen no posts that say how a single class system is beneficial. 

IF we went with 2 classes for the individual tournament, would we keep 3 classes for the dual tournament? It seems odd to have different classes for individual/team.

Why? The "team" tournament is a regular season tournament not sponsored by the IHSAA. Two separate events.  

We have proposed some hypotheses on how a two-class system would benefit Indiana wrestling.  So far, I have seen no posts that say how a single class system is beneficial. 

Playing devil's advocate, because I have no dog in this fight, where's the proof that a multi-class system benefits wrestling?  Have other states done studies on this?  Is there actual data to confirm or deny this? Or is it purely conjecture?  

Weight classes get reduced every weekend from sectionals to state. Double the numbers of kids still in the tourney series.

How hard is it to see that there would be 32 state qualifiers rather than 16?

And what evidence is there to support a drop in fan levels?

Check the gate numbers for surrounding states with class wrestling. I know Ohio isn't hurting any.

Again, I ask how is a single class individual tournament good for the sport of wrestling in our state?  I love the current tournament, but only because I like to watch it.  I like watching the Lakers and Knicks lose, too...but it isn't good for the NBA. 

I would respectfully disagree.  You believe it would benefit Indiana wrestling and I do not.  There have been just as many valid points as to why it would not benefit the state.  I believe a single class benefits by showing the best our state has to offer for the next level. 

Weight classes get reduced every weekend from sectionals to state. Double the numbers of kids still in the tourney series.

How hard is it to see that there would be 32 state qualifiers rather than 16?

And what evidence is there to support a drop in fan levels?

Check the gate numbers for surrounding states with class wrestling. I know Ohio isn't hurting any.

Going from 32 state qualifiers from 16 does not double participation. It doubles the amount of wrestlers allowed to compete at the state championship, it does not double the amount of wrestlers in the state.  

I would respectfully disagree.  You believe it would benefit Indiana wrestling and I do not.  There have been just as many valid points as to why it would not benefit the state.  I believe a single class benefits by showing the best our state has to offer for the next level. 

Going from 32 state qualifiers from 16 does not double participation. It doubles the amount of wrestlers allowed to compete at the state championship, it does not double the amount of wrestlers in the state.  

So by your reasoning if I have a super dual with 6 teams it will draw more fans than if we had 10 teams?  Is that correct?

[/quote

Double the numbers of wrestlers in the system is the same as participation rate in the state series. Individual numbers in the various programs are not what I am talking about.

You don't think our state would be benefited recruiting wise by showcasing additional wrestlers?  It's better for Indiana recruiting to have less individuals make it to the state level? 

Fact:  Putting the word fact in front of a statement does not make it a fact.  Any fans that would be lost would be more than made up for with more kids qualifying for deeper tournament runs.  Anyone that would not continue to support high school wrestling if we went to a class system isn't really that big of a fan anyways.

So by your reasoning if I have a super dual with 6 teams it will draw more fans than if we had 10 teams?  Is that correct?

That's not what I said at all.  If all you are looking to do is put more butts in the seats at Bankers life, then allow every wrestler on every team to compete at the state finals.  The point single class proponents are trying to make is the point of the state tournament is not to have as many fans there as possible, it is to find the best wrestler at each weight class.

That's not what I said at all.  If all you are looking to do is put more butts in the seats at Bankers life, then allow every wrestler on every team to compete at the state finals.  The point single class proponents are trying to make is the point of the state tournament is not to have as many fans there as possible, it is to find the best wrestler at each weight class.

So as long as we have one TRUE champion you could care less if there are 100 fans watching or 15,000...is that what you are saying?

Do you think the IHSAA cares who wins state or do you think they care about butts in the seats?  You should stop looking at it through rose colored fan glasses.  This isn't about appeasing fans!

Edited by tspray1

Do you think the IHSAA cares who wins state or do you think they care about butts in the seats?  You should stop looking at it through rose colored fan glasses.  This isn't about appeasing fans!

I absolutely agree with you there. The IHSAA doesn't care who wins.  Its definitely financial for them which is why I think eventually we will probably see multi-class, I just hope we don't.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.