2A IHSWCA State Duals qualifying scores (unofficial thru STATE)

maligned

Quote-  "the coach screwed his team and my son"

So some people did not pick up on my sarcasm in my first post when I said our coach screwed my son and the team.  It was suppose to shed light on the fact that the current way we decided who the best high school teams in the state are, is flawed. NP is being highly under rated because they have a strong senior class. It is my belief there has to be a better way to choose the best teams in the state.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So some people did not pick up on my sarcasm in my first post when I said our coach screwed my son and the team.  It was suppose to shed light on the fact that the current way we decided who the best high school teams in the state are, is flawed. NP is being highly under rated because they have a strong senior class. It is my belief there has to be a better way to choose the best teams in the state.

Please shed light on how to determine this process

Any suggestions?

the system that is currently in place has a projected replacement score, so if your seniors produce and advance to semi-state/state your replacement points will be higher and your team score should be more accurate at that point.  your score also is adjusted by a multiplier based on the strength of your sectional, if the wrestlers advance this multipliers effect changes.  so if your seniors do well your team could still be in contention.  i cant speak to all of the in and outs of the points system, maligned is your guy to ask on that, but i can tell you that the system was designed with situations like that in mind.  this happened to an extent to busco last year as we lost six seniors all of whom moved on in the tournament so our replacement score made a big difference in us getting invited this year.

New Prairie will get 8-10 kids to semi state and they should get a few of those to state.  I hope those kids do well.  I know at least half of the kids.  New Prairie will be good next year.  Please don't take my posts the wrong way.  This set up isn't ideal.  My school is barely in the 2a division.  We're almost in the 1a.  The old system where the top two at sectionals battled it out at team regional with the other top two out of the other sectional was the best, but we don't have that.  At least we have a system!!!  We should be thankful that there is something in place.  If people just let it go as it was we wouldn't even have an IHSWCA Team State.  Go Cougars!  Go Railroaders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give full support to our coach and my son lost his wrestle off to the now sectional Champion. I would just like to point out the fact that New Prairie is on the bottom half of the projected team state post season qualifying team scores. This is beyond bad, it is disrespectful.

I'll just say 2 things quickly on this:

1. You have to let the scoring play out over the next couple of weeks.  There are always significant changes in the final 2 weeks as teams with a lot of guys still active accrue big points.  People panic every year when they see the scores after sectional because they think these scores work the same as team tournament scores.  They don't.  Let it shake out and we'll see the top teams where they belong.

2. History has shown that almost every time a team has 9+ seniors there is a big dropoff.  An exception would be the Bellmont team of this year, of course.  But, by in large, even large schools with huge talent pools see huge dropoffs with a lineup that skewed.  NP can prove us all wrong next year, but I'm going to place a guess that there will be a dropoff.

Wow, great to see 3 Southern Indiana teams atop this list!! I am surprised to see Mt.Vernon on top, but they do have a great young team and with the freshman class they have could be a dangerous team for the next couple years.

What are the odds that all 3 (MV, Memorial, and Gibson Southern) qualify for Team State next season?

Wow, great to see 3 Southern Indiana teams atop this list!! I am surprised to see Mt.Vernon on top, but they do have a great young team and with the freshman class they have could be a dangerous team for the next couple years.

What are the odds that all 3 (MV, Memorial, and Gibson Southern) qualify for Team State next season?

Very good odds...with 2A, the first few scores are meaningful after sectional, but the ones after about the top 4-5 are not as meaningful because some lower teams with a lot of remaining kids will come up.  but the odds that 8+ teams pass any of those 3 is not very good, considering what they have left in the tournament.

Maybe using an additional multiplier based on data from JV team or individual events might be of some utility in the process.

There are a number of JV events already.  If teams know that this data will be used for placement, that might encourage the proliferation of more JV events (which is certainly good for the sport a a whole).

Maybe using an additional multiplier based on data from JV team or individual events might be of some utility in the process.

There are a number of JV events already.  If teams know that this data will be used for placement, that might encourage the proliferation of more JV events (which is certainly good for the sport a a whole).

You have to be kidding me. There is no way you can throw in JV stuff. It is a night and day comparison.

You have to be kidding me. There is no way you can throw in JV stuff. It is a night and day comparison.

Not to mention that many JV teams compete against varsity teams at invites, or wrestle a significant number of varsity matches throughout the year

And no 2 north mont team state 2A sent less kids to SS than southmont.  Nothing will be perfect north maybe a better dual team but south better tournament team.  South wasn't invinted and north finished 2nd. South had more points at regionals.  Just never gonna make anything perfect so just deal and be thankful that there are people willing to put in work to give 8 schools a chance to compete instead of ZERO!  It could always be worse.

And no 2 north mont team state 2A sent less kids to SS than southmont.  Nothing will be perfect north maybe a better dual team but south better tournament team.  South wasn't invinted and north finished 2nd. South had more points at regionals.  Just never gonna make anything perfect so just deal and be thankful that there are people willing to put in work to give 8 schools a chance to compete instead of ZERO!  It could always be worse.

I think you're suffering from a bit of amnesia there pal!!! Are you forgetting that NM beat SM at County (head to head), Confrence (tournament), and let's not forget the 50+ point win over SM at sectionals!!!!! I guess NM is a better tournament team than you think. LMAO

I think you're suffering from a bit of amnesia there pal!!! Are you forgetting that NM beat SM at County (head to head), Confrence (tournament), and let's not forget the 50+ point win over SM at sectionals!!!!! I guess NM is a better tournament team than you think. LMAO

and yet with all of those kids they both sent to Regionals they each had one champ.

and yet with all of those kids they both sent to Regionals they each had one champ.

That is true, but the OP was implying that SM is such a better tournament team and should have been at Team State this year. I believe they was there last year and finished 7th or 8th. SM has had a good team for the last few years, but the stats for this year don't lie! I wish ALL the kids that made it of the NM regional the best of luck at New Castle.

I was just using that as an example as too the fact that the team state cannot be perfect and someone will be left out who is deserving.  Instead of bitching who's better I say thank the people who let those north kids wrestle for a title!!!  That's what the point was til YOU turned it to a north/south debate.  Typical

I am thankful that they run a Team State based off of a three class system. I will also agree that there were (and still are) teams deserving of being there that didn't get the invite based off of the criteria set. I think SM has a good, tuff team also. But NM earned their invite and wrestled tuff to earn their State Runner Up place. There's no SM/NM debate, both are great teams that wrestle tuff. I was just pointing out some information that was overlooked in your origanal post.

I guess I don't understand the magic of the math. 2 trans that are way higher than us, we handily beat head to head thus year, and they lose more than we do this year. But it's what ever.

Let the scores come from this week and then next week. With 2A and 3A, the scores take time to unfold.  Once your large number of semi-state qualifiers are accounted for and you win a few matches next week, you'll get huge points while teams with high difficulty multipliers in 2A score very little at regional and semi-state.  It's not like typical tournament scoring where you can tell after the first round who will win.

I do agree with the np father a bit. It's kind of ridiculous that a team that unless they have some crazy improvements for next year are going to be on the voting ballet while new prairie isn't going to get a chance. If I were a betting man I'd say their jv could probably beat atleast one of those teams that is in contention. I understand that it's neat impossible to judge How strong a team with that many seniors on it is going to do next year but when they have double the amount of regional qualifiers,  more semistate qualifiers, and not that many less non seniors make it to regionals/semistate, then a team, I would expect them to be better next year then the other team. There should be some way to give those teams a chance at getting voted in. Worst case (if it isn't already there) let people write in a team, if they feel a team has a solid jv behind a bunch of seniors they could have a chance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.