NPSmith

We have topics on several weights already.  Lets have one on each and hear everyone's thoughts on the weight class.

IMO, there are several comparable kids at the top of this one.  At team state last week, the #7 Elliott gave #1 Smith all he could handle.  Not counting Pepple or Crary out either for sure. Several other guys who will be right in there. 

Ferguson from Reitz should be a name to consider, very tough kid who just had a bad draw last year at the Semi-State. I'm sure he is looking forward to a rematch with Smith this year.

i agree.  franklin has one of the best schedules in the state; smith has pretty much wrestled anyone/everyone of consequence. 

has ferguson had any marquee match-ups?

both have improved over last year.  this one should be a real donnybrook.

I think that is what hurt Ferguson last year, he didn't to my knowledge have any competition up until the Semi-State ticket round match with Smith. He doesn't have anyone in there practice room either that will push him unless he goes up to Davis, its not like there practice rooms back in the day with Kuhn, Johns, VanHook, etc.

Hopefully this year will be a different story for Ferguson, would like to see more Southern Indiana wrestlers on the podium.

My boy Elliott "Corney" is making me proud he's going to be right there in the mix for sure. He won his 1st Iswa state title last year. Learned he can wrestle with the best kids. He busted his tail all summer long at Indiana Pride

kinda hard to name top 8 until the draw comes out the Sunday before state, but I would say to get a good idea of the top 8 would be to go take a peek at the ind. rankings and I would say ontherise will get at least 6 of the top 8 right....but as far as a champ I would have to go with DJ Smith or Crary, would make for a great match under the lights...I will say Smith 7-3

kinda hard to name top 8 until the draw comes out the Sunday before state, but I would say to get a good idea of the top 8 would be to go take a peek at the ind. rankings and I would say ontherise will get at least 6 of the top 8 right....but as far as a champ I would have to go with DJ Smith or Crary, would make for a great match under the lights...I will say Smith 7-3

mathewsz7 is right It's tough to predict the top 8 but semi state champs I would guess merrillvile/Crary ft. Wayne/pepple new castle Elliot Evansville/ T. Ferg or Smith there is 5 I would guess Garza will place also

Not everyone knows that Ferguson hurt his thumb last year at regionals and wrestled semi-state basically with one arm. I look for him to be standing high on the podium,  how high is the question. He lost to Smith by 1-2 in ticket match without the use of his dominant right hand last year. Look for him to place!

I've heard a lot of people saying things were wrong with T-ferg but the bottom line is Smith beat him hurt or not.... Let's not take anything away from DJ he's a great kid and great wrestler.  And smith looks great this year I expect it to be a very close match but I'm taking smith because of the tougher schedule and better workout partners.

I've heard a lot of people saying things were wrong with T-ferg but the bottom line is Smith beat him hurt or not.... Let's not take anything away from DJ he's a great kid and great wrestler.  And smith looks great this year I expect it to be a very close match but I'm taking smith because of the tougher schedule and better workout partners.

I'm not knocking DJ, he is a very, very good wrestler and did beat Ferguson last year no doubt. I would've loved to watch it with Ferguson healthy tho. And I didn't say he would have last year or would beat DJ  this year. I just made a prediction that Ferguson would place and a statement he was hurt last year. Best of luck to DJ and I wish himthe best of luck on his run this year.

My boy Elliott "Corney" is making me proud he's going to be right there in the mix for sure. He won his 1st Iswa state title last year. Learned he can wrestle with the best kids. He busted his tail all summer long at Indiana Pride

Elliot is solid don't get me wrong. I think Skylour Turner of Cathedral shocks folks on wednesday night though.

Didn't Ferguson beat Sinko at IHPO before the season? That's a solid win.

Ferg was up 5 points and then pinned him. It was a great win. He has looked great all year and has wrestled better competition this year. Reitz has definitely lost some kids in the room over the last 3 years but there are still quality kids left.

Ferg was up 5 points and then pinned him. It was a great win. He has looked great all year and has wrestled better competition this year. Reitz has definitely lost some kids in the room over the last 3 years but there are still quality kids left.

T ferg looked like he was on another level at indianamat. I wish reitz wrestled a little tougher schedule so I could add some notable wins in so everyone could know how tough this kid is. I'm sure he will have a deep run in Indy

Gotta like Skylour Turner at 113. Wrestled 8 of the Top 16 this year already. Probably the hardest schedule of any 113lber in the field and is peaking at the right time. His 2 losses to the state's top 2 ranked wrestlers (Smith and Crary) were in his first 6 high school matches ever. With a nice win versus Elliott last night at Perry, I think he might score some points at ol' Bankers Life for the Irish. 

Gotta like Skylour Turner at 113. Wrestled 8 of the Top 16 this year already. Probably the hardest schedule of any 113lber in the field and is peaking at the right time. His 2 losses to the state's top 2 ranked wrestlers (Smith and Crary) were in his first 6 high school matches ever. With a nice win versus Elliott last night at Perry, I think he might score some points at ol' Bankers Life for the Irish.

I think Cathedral bumped Turner up (away from Smith) to wrestle Franklin's Wilkerson (who won anyway), at the Traicoff.

Had he wrestled Smith, that experience might have come in handy for him entering the individual tournament. However, it was probably sound strategy for Cathedral in the dual meet setting with Franklin, because that bump may have kept Franklin from getting bonus points in both the 113 and 120 class.

when its all over said and done garrett pebbles will be at the top of that podium! him losing earlier in thw season was the best thing that could of happened too him and i would bet my last dollar on this kid. his attitude has completely changed since the loss and i for one have wrestled with the kid and knows what hes got ! doo work garrett and quiet up all that doubt your skills

[/qu ote

Ferguson did not pin sinkovics.  He was up 6-0 In the second, period, then sinkovics took him down twice and when the third period ended it was my opinion that Ferguson was in danger of being turned. Also the second and third periods where only 1min long. I mean no disrespect to Ferguson he wrestled great all day and deserved the win, just stating what happened.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.