IHSWCA Rankings in 3 Classes, Released 11-27-2013

ADAMS CENTRAL, YORKTOWN, PERRY MERIDIAN LEAD RANKINGS BY CLASS

Longtime Adams County rivals Adams Central and South Adams stand 1-2 in the Class A (small school) rankings released by the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association.

The season's first rankings by class were released Wednesday by the IHSWCA.

In Class AA (medium-sized schools), Yorktown is alone at the top after receiving all first-place votes.

Defending state champion Perry Meridian is the No. 1-ranked team in Class AAA (large schools).

The rankings:

IHSWCA CLASSED WRESTLING POLL

Nov. 27, 2013

(First place votes in parenthesis)

CLASS A

1, Adams Central (3)          48

2, South Adams (1)            39

3, Fremont (1)                  36

4, Bremen                        34

5, Clinton Central              30

6, Churubusco                  24

7, South Putnam                22

8, Woodlan                        12

9, Lewis Cass                    11

10, West Central                6

Also receiving votes: Prairie Heights 5, Fountain Central 4, Triton Central 2, Central Noble 1, North Knox 1

CLASS AA

1. Yorktown (9)                90

2, Danville                        70

3, Leo                              51

4, Twin Lakes                    39

5, Peru                            34

6, Western                        33

7 (tie), Heritage Hills        27

7 (tie), Jimtown                27

9, North Montgomery        22

10, New Prairie                  17

Also receiving votes: Evansville Memorial 16, Bellmont 15, Culver Academies 11, Hanover Central 10, Lebanon 9, Delphi 7, Fairfield 7, New Haven 5, Muncie Southside 4.

CLASS AAA

1, Perry Meridian ( 8 )              95

2. Penn (2)                              66

3 (tie), Indianapolis Cathedral  65

3 (tie), Evansville Mater Dei      65

3 (tie), Merrillville                    65

6, Warren Central                    60

7, Franklin                              56

8, East Noble                          18

9, Crown Point                        17

10, New Palestine                    14

Also receiving votes: Mishawaka 10, Carroll (Fort Wayne) 8, Bloomington South 5, Portage 2, Lowell 1.

2A Rankings are a joke. Even with their down year last year, Bellmont beats probably 8 out of those 10 teams. And even this year with a stronger lineup probably takes 9 out of those 10 teams. Look at the competition that was beating Bellmont last year. They wrestle one of the toughest schedules in the state.

Team rankings first month will fluxuate im sure, not enough data to really make a solid rankings but its a good start

1A ill say NW will compete will all those teams, we get to wrestle WC, lewis cass, fountain central, & twin lakes in the next month so it will be good to see how we matrch up. Out of those 4 teams TL is prolly the best on paper, anything can happen on the mat

Really wish team state was towards end of the season instead of middle but I understand the scheduling conflicts, hoping to see the Vikings earn an invite in the coming years! Only time will tell, but glad we have a team state duals in a classed system, giving all teams an opportunity

PERRY MERIDIAN, MERRILLVILLE, PENN ARE 1-2-3 IN SEASON'S FIRST WRESTLING POLL

Defending state champion Perry Meridian holds down the top spot in the first high school wrestling poll of the season.

The Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association (IHSWCA) released its first Top 20 ranking of all teams Wednesday, Nov. 27.

Perry Meridian garnered eight first-place votes and 195 total points.

The only other school to receive a first-place vote was Penn. The Kingsmen got two.

Merrillville edged Penn for the No. 2 spot, however, 165-158.

Franklin and Evansville Mater Dei round out the top five.

The poll:

IHSWCA TOP 20 WRESTLING POLL

Nov. 27, 2013

(First-place votes in parenthesis)

1, Perry Meridian ( 8 )                        195

2, Merrillville                                    165

3, Penn (2)                                      158

4, Franklin                                        155

5, Evansville Mater Dei                      153

6, Warren Central                              151

7, Indianapolis Cathedral                    143

8, Yorktown                                      117

9, East Noble                                      98

10 (tie), Crown Point                            97

10 (tie), New Palestine                          97

12, Mishawaka                                    80

13, Carroll (Fort Wayne)                      68

14, Bloomington South                        67

15, Portage                                          56

16, Lowell                                            37

17, Danville                                          34

18, Lake Central                                  25

19, Westfield                                        24

20, Jasper                                            21

Others receiving votes: Twin Lakes 15, Hamilton Southeastern 14, Lawrence North 14, Lebanon 14, Avon 12, Bremen 12, Evansville Reitz 12, Fremont 12, South Putnam 10, Clinton Central 9, Leo 6, Evansville Central 5, Western 5, Adams Central 4, Jennings County 4, Carmel 3, South Adams 3, Harrison (West Lafayette) 2, Ben Davis 12, Jeffersonville 1, Peru 1.

I'm confused?

Someone please remind me why we have class rankings again? is it to help market the sport to the smaller communities? If it is anything more than manufactured marketing, we are obviously wasting our time. The IHSAA obviously won't even consider our most basic improvements, so I hope we aren't expecting something like class wrestling to ever be a consideration by the governing body for high school athletics in the state of Indiana.

PS. Cathedral is the #1 team in the state. Dual or Tournament Team. Someone show me a line-up that disproves me. .

Thornton - what say you?

Someone please remind me why we have class rankings again? is it to help market the sport to the smaller communities? If it is anything more than manufactured marketing, we are obviously wasting our time. The IHSAA obviously won't even consider our most basic improvements, so I hope we aren't expecting something like class wrestling to ever be a consideration by the governing body for high school athletics in the state of Indiana.

PS. Cathedral is the #1 team in the state. Dual or Tournament Team. Someone show me a line-up that disproves me. .

Thornton - what say you?

Class rankings help to give some notoriety/respect to some successful small school programs that otherwise get overlooked by many people.

Class rankings help with the organization of the IHSWCA Dual Event which helps showcase some of the best dual teams in the state in each of the three classes. 

I am really thinking the perry-catherdal duel is going to be awsome and tight.. i feel it could be won by either team. Definitely one eveyone needs to come and watch in person. Is it at perry this year?

Thornton - what say you?

While I do agree that Cathedral is loaded this year and that they may very well eventually win it all, I always held to notion that to be the champ you have to beat the champ. And while Perry's line-up is obviously different than last year's, they are still solid and should hold the top spot until someone takes it from them. Let's not annoint a champion, but rather let them earn it through their performance.

Thornton - what say you?

Isn't all marketing manufactured?  And just how much time have you wasted on the class rankings?

While I do agree that Cathedral is loaded this year and that they may very well eventually win it all, I always held to notion that to be the champ you have to beat the champ. And while Perry's line-up is obviously different than last year's, they are still solid and should hold the top spot until someone takes it from them. Let's not annoint a champion, but rather let them earn it through their performance.

Very diplomatic. Football season is officially over at dear Ol' Cathedral. Ready to dive in to wrestling and spice this site up a bit. Looking forward to the Perry dual as always. Should be interesting to see what football players we get in the room.

Traicoff is in two weeks!!

Thornton - what say you?

They exist so that there can be some excitement generated for the everyday average athletic fan. If a news paper can report that the #1-2 single A schools are wrestling it will attract more casual sports fans to come watch a great dual. It is the same reason we do other rankings. Personally anything to get more people to go out and support their local team is fantastic in my book.

Class rankings help to give some notoriety/respect to some successful small school programs that otherwise get overlooked by many people.

Class rankings help with the organization of the IHSWCA Dual Event which helps showcase some of the best dual teams in the state in each of the three classes.

I graduated from a HS in Iowa with 20 kids in its graduating class and am involved currently with one of the largest schools in the state.  At the time I competed, Iowa had a 3 class Individual State Championship and no Dual State Championship.  For us, having three classes certainly added more excitement to the season.  True, competing at state in one of the lower classes always seemed to have an asterisk beside it, but overall, I think it was good for wrestling as a whole.  Having the quality of competition on a daily basis in the practice room as well as the pick of the coaches, certainly gives the bigger schools an advantage even in the individual state.

I am not necessarily promoting a change, although I think an ideal situation would be to have a classed individual state tournament with a round robin with the next day or the next week to determine the overall champion.  I would also like a sanctioned by IHSAA classed dual tournament, although the IHWSCA tournament that we currently have is a reasonable accomodation.

Blasphemy

? Blasphemy? Explain. 

Iowa has had classed individual state tourneys since 1957.  Since 1928 there have been 51 state champs that have gone on to be NCAA Div I National Champs.  In 2011 they sold out their 24th consecutive state finals.  It certainly hasn't dampened interest in wrestling.  If what they are doing is so blasphemous, maybe we should learn to blaspheme.

? Blasphemy? Explain. 

Iowa has had classed individual state tourneys since 1957.  Since 1928 there have been 51 state champs that have gone on to be NCAA Div I National Champs.  In 2011 they sold out their 24th consecutive state finals.  It certainly hasn't dampened interest in wrestling.  If what they are doing is so blasphemous, maybe we should learn to blaspheme.

I'm sorry...my comment was in jest.  There are some that would see an individual classed state tourney as a sure sign of the apocalypse in the Hoosier state.  I am not among that group.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.