Micic vs Boston

unknown wrestler

Thanks for that info, and I did read that.  That 5% is the percentage of applicants that were accepted.  Now how many go to college, but cannot even waste their time to apply to Harvard? Those low percentages, and combined with the low percentage of beings a D1 wrestler make the odds very low. 

Someone who could speak to this experience is JT Young from Bloomington South.  I believe he went to Harvard starting in 2001.  I guarantee that degree stands out more than his 2 state championships, and D1 wrestling experience.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestlers who attend Ivy League schools for the most part submit their application during the early acceptance period.  So technically, getting admitted early can increase by almost 3 folds for some schools. 

Harvard 2013 early acceptance rate 18.43%

Stanford 2013 early acceptance rate 11.90%

Below is the acceptance rate.  I know for a fact that Harvard wrestling team gets 7 recommendation to submit to admission but that doesn't mean those 7 get accepted.  Also, if a athletics gets injured or decides not to wrestle after being accepted, the Ivy League schools can't reduce or revoke your financial need award money. 

Stanford University, 5.69 percent

Stanford reports that it received a record 38,828 applications from around the world and accepted 2,210. Of those, 725 applicants who were accepted in December through the early action program. The Stanford Daily reports that another 813 students are on a wait-list. This year’s admit rate of 5.7 percent is the university’s lowest yet and makes it slightly more selective than Harvard.

Harvard University, 5.79 percent

Harvard reports that it received 35,023 applications for the Class of 2017 and accepted 2,029 students. This year’s acceptance rate of 5.8 percent is slightly down from last year’s 5.9 percent. For those accepted, about 10 percent are international students, and 53.4 percent are men. Outside of class and test-taking, 42 percent cited involvement in “music and other expressive and performing arts,” 35 percent have been involved with “debate and political activities, including student government, and 54 percent plan to participate in recreational, intramural or intercollegiate athletics.”

Couldn't agree more Bob. My parents made it clear that a DI school while attainable would mean less time for family stuff and just free time in general, including school work. It's easy in those big schools to get caught up in it all and fall behind in class. When this happens in most colleges they don't care and wont help you. Some kids need that small school community feel to be successful.  I am no Harvard grad, but I was able to graduate from a good School and was lucky enough to be able to wrestle for 5 extra years. Both these guys will have schools clawing for them but the most important factor is that you choose a school that will help you be successful academically. The wrestling will come on it's own.

With such a low acceptance rate, do they even take into account if you are a great athlete being they don't give out athletic scholarships? I would think that it is strictly grades and your resume of accomplishments and standing in the community. How much does athletics play into it?

With such a low acceptance rate, do they even take into account if you are a great athlete being they don't give out athletic scholarships? I would think that it is strictly grades and your resume of accomplishments and standing in the community. How much does athletics play into it?

Your question was answered in an earlier post, they get to recommend student-athletes for acceptance.

I think we've all seen Boston wrestle enough to know that he wrestles very close matches and slows the pace down, I just don't see him getting majored.

I wouldn't see a major either, but I think Micic would control it. Close score, but maybe not that close of a match.

I am hearing grumblings that round three may be in the works...... might know more this weekend.

Round three may have been in the works. The Micic's expressed their interest in the 120# slot. Then mysteriously after Micic returns from the worlds he discovers he's been moved from 120# slot to the 126# slot. Kind of odd eh? Even more odd considering he made it clear prior to making the trip to Serbia that he was walking around at 126-127# and 120# would not be a problem. Inquires have gone unanswered.

Round three may have been in the works. The Micic's expressed their interest in the 120# slot. Then mysteriously after Micic returns from the worlds he discovers he's been moved from 120# slot to the 126# slot. Kind of odd eh? Even more odd considering he made it clear prior to making the trip to Serbia that he was walking around at 126-127# and 120# would not be a problem. Inquires have gone unanswered.

What 120# spot are you referencing?

Oh Boy, here we go...

What 120# spot are you referencing?

I'm going to read between the lines and assume your talking about the Who's #1 dual that flowrestling is hosting.  If that's the case, then round 3 wouldn't have happened because Sean Russell is ranked higher than Nathan Boston.  I think a Russell vs Micic match would be more exciting than a Micic vs Boston.  I would pick Russell over Micic in folkstyle.  Micic is an animal when it comes to freestyle but not convinced that he's as competitive in folkstyle.  I think Russell beats Boston at the Who's #1 dual.

I'm going to read between the lines and assume your talking about the Who's #1 dual that flowrestling is hosting.  If that's the case, then round 3 wouldn't have happened because Sean Russell is ranked higher than Nathan Boston.  I think a Russell vs Micic match would be more exciting than a Micic vs Boston.  I would pick Russell over Micic in folkstyle.  Micic is an animal when it comes to freestyle but not convinced that he's as competitive in folkstyle.  I think Russell beats Boston at the Who's #1 dual.

You are correct about the tournament. I understand your reservations concerning the folkstyle vs freestyle issue. Micic has obviously been more focused at the national level on freestyle. There may be some things happening soon that might cloud that perception even more. I agree that Russell vs Micic would be a more competitive match. I've not seen Russell on the mat so I can't honestly make a pick.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.