Coaches Attire

RegionRoyalty

I am not sure what attire has to do with behavior...Appropriate attire and appropriate behavior are separate issues. 

My point is, it is better to be classy than to just dress classy.  Sure if you can do both more power to you. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We try to go with khakis and coaching shirt most Saturdays.  Friday-Saturday deals are usually jeans since that's what I wear to school Fridays then "Khlassy" on Saturdays.  We try to avoid the wind breaker or the wind pants though.  Not too windy in the gyms and since I'm fat, it adds unnecessary perspiration to my nether regions.

We try to go with khakis and coaching shirt most Saturdays.  Friday-Saturday deals are usually jeans since that's what I wear to school Fridays then "Khlassy" on Saturdays.  We try to avoid the wind breaker or the wind pants though.  Not too windy in the gyms and since I'm fat, it adds unnecessary perspiration to my nether regions.

Keep a dry undercarriage is essential

And my point is that it is appropriate to dress professionally to meets.  This is true regardless of classiness. 

And the question is, what is appropriate and who makes those standards?  This message board?  I will wear my jeans and keep it classy.  If that is allowed.

And the question is, what is appropriate and who makes those standards?  This message board?  I will wear my jeans and keep it classy.  If that is allowed.

I didn't say classy...I said professional.  Do what you gotta do.  My opinion is, a coach should look professional at meets.

I think coaches should wear a singlet with a polo shirt like the one in Vision Quest!

Genius...lol

HOWEVER, I do feel that if we all really want wrestling to be taken as seriously as other major high school sports such as football and basketball, then it's probably worth the extra few bucks to at least have a coaches' polo or something similar.

With that said, I do realize that wrestling often takes a back seat to these sports and thus doesn't get the same kind of funding. Sometimes the extra $50 or whatever the cost is might be better spent on headgear, shoes or knee pads for kids who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it. These are hard times, people! Don't be too quick to judge.

I would rather them be in khaki's and a polo and be classy.

I completely agree.  Set an example for your kids on being professional.

On another note I believe FILA rules state coaches cannot be dressed up.  As far as I am aware they must be in athletic appearl.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Examples:

460x.jpg

bobby.jpg

Steve-Knight-Excel-Wrestling.jpg

Note: Images are just random images from a Google image search

Go back into the early 1900's when men wore suits all the time. If you went to a baseball game, you had a suit on. If you just went out you had a suit on, heck you got dressed up to eat dinner. In my trade, toolmakers of the 1950's wore black dress pants, a white shirt with bow tie and a white apron. Times have changed, dress has become way more casual. You can go to church, where when I was a kid, you always had at least a tie on.....nowadays it's damn near anything goes. At weddings and funerals you see the old timers in suits and the younger generation (for the most part) in casual dress. But to me, in most cases, it's really not what you wear, but why you're there. Be neat in whatever you do wear, think about where you're going (so you don't have your best beach wear on at a job interview) and most of all, act professional. That goes a lot further in most people's perception of you than being a a-hole in a three piece suit.

And my point is that it is appropriate to dress professionally to meets.  This is true regardless of classiness. 

Why do suits, ties, dresspants, and khakis make a wrestling coach professional. Do suits add more wins for the team? My coaching staff in high school would wear jeans. So basically this topic is saying the Bellmont staff of Coach Faurote, Coach Gunsett, and Coach Myers is unprofessional and classless. There is a difference between looking like a slob and being comfortable for an all day tournament, and being presentable and comfortable to coach.

Why does the state finals have to be different for a coach? A coach wears a polo shirt and khakis all season, and now all of a sudden people think that the coach should wear a tie, or suit. How about Billy Bob in the stands complaining about what a coach is wearing take off his camo hat and take his can of chew out of his pocket before speaking about how a coach dresses.

Should Coach Belichick not be allowed to coach a PROFESSIONAL team? He wears a hooded sweatshirt which sometimes has sleeves cut off. You don't see high school coaches in soccer, baseball, swimming, track, etc. wearing suits and ties. It is high school wrestling. A suit isn't a required attire. All a coach needs to do is present himself how he feels he can do his job to the best of his ability.  Be it nice jeans and a polo, khakis and a shirt, shirt and tie, or full out suit.

I completely agree.  Set an example for your kids on being professional.

On another note I believe FILA rules state coaches cannot be dressed up.  As far as I am aware they must be in athletic appearl.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Examples:

460x.jpg

bobby.jpg

width=500 height=390http://www.excelwrestling.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Steve-Knight-Excel-Wrestling.jpg[/img]

Note: Images are just random images from a Google image search

Good pictures but those are not of professional coaches. JK LOL

Why do suits, ties, dresspants, and khakis make a wrestling coach professional. Do suits add more wins for the team?

This is an excellent point. Moreover - and I'm sorry to break this to those of you who are basing professionalism entirely on the way one dresses - if a coach wears a suit and tie, it doesn't give him some sort of leeway to ACT less professional. I would think that wrestling fans of all people would understand that performance counts for a helluva lot more than presentation, and that includes the coaches.

Why do suits, ties, dresspants, and khakis make a wrestling coach professional. Do suits add more wins for the team? My coaching staff in high school would wear jeans. So basically this topic is saying the Bellmont staff of Coach Faurote, Coach Gunsett, and Coach Myers is unprofessional and classless. There is a difference between looking like a slob and being comfortable for an all day tournament, and being presentable and comfortable to coach.

Why does the state finals have to be different for a coach? A coach wears a polo shirt and khakis all season, and now all of a sudden people think that the coach should wear a tie, or suit. How about Billy Bob in the stands complaining about what a coach is wearing take off his camo hat and take his can of chew out of his pocket before speaking about how a coach dresses.

Should Coach Belichick not be allowed to coach a PROFESSIONAL team? He wears a hooded sweatshirt which sometimes has sleeves cut off. You don't see high school coaches in soccer, baseball, swimming, track, etc. wearing suits and ties. It is high school wrestling. A suit isn't a required attire. All a coach needs to do is present himself how he feels he can do his job to the best of his ability.  Be it nice jeans and a polo, khakis and a shirt, shirt and tie, or full out suit.

The fact is, I think coaches should dress professionally to wrestling meets.  If you disagree, then that is your prerogative, and I will not hold it against you.  I do not think how one dresses has any bearing on how one carries himself.  They are separate issues.  I am not sure why my opinion is offensive to you, but rest assured yours is not offensive to me.  And rest assured, I am not Billy Bob in the stands.  Nothing I have said is a complaint, rather a view point. 

1) Coaches, please don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself...

2) Everything looks good with a trophy or a medal around your neck!  That's all this fan/parent cares about looks.

3) ACT professional and your attire won't matter.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.