Junior 145 and 170 brackets

AJ

There are 3 High School State runner-ups in the bottom bracket. I know its freestyle but wow those are all studs:

Josh Farrell

Cody Lecount

Vinny Corsaro

Lecount and Corsaro wrestle in the quarters.....

After Jared blanks Corsaro, I can't help but wonder how close he could have kept it with Tsirtsis.  I know it probably wouldn't be real close, but...I guess we will never know unless they both wrestle 141 at some point in college.

After Jared blanks Corsaro, I can't help but wonder how close he could have kept it with Tsirtsis.  I know it probably wouldn't be real close, but...I guess we will never know unless they both wrestle 141 at some point in college.

It wouldn't be close at all!

After watching (or seeing results) this spring, I doubt it would be close also.  But I heard Jared mentioned wanting to wrestle him to see where he would measure up.

Admirable for sure but Tsirtsis is on another planet talent-wise.  A lot of guys with 2 and 3 yrs of Big 10 varsity experience will find it difficult to contend with Mr. Tsirtsis. 

Most people, myself included, believe Jason to be a "can't miss prospect" as was, I'm sure, his brother Alex upon entering college (we missed Alex' run here in Indiana).  What is the greatest difference between these two individuals as far as being able to bring their dominance to the next level?  Perhaps the Iowa room wasn't the best fit for Alex, etc.  I'm curious to read people's opinions.

Admirable for sure but Tsirtsis is on another planet talent-wise.  A lot of guys with 2 and 3 yrs of Big 10 varsity experience will find it difficult to contend with Mr. Tsirtsis. 

Most people, myself included, believe Jason to be a "can't miss prospect" as was, I'm sure, his brother Alex upon entering college (we missed Alex' run here in Indiana).  What is the greatest difference between these two individuals as far as being able to bring their dominance to the next level?  Perhaps the Iowa room wasn't the best fit for Alex, etc.  I'm curious to read people's opinions.

I don't know the two personally at all, so these are just my observations from afar:

1. Alex wasn't nearly as polished as Jason is at this point in their careers.  Alex was an elite prospect, but not a 'no-doubt' prospect in terms of competing for national titles.  He had some tough off-season matches after his senior year of high school.  With Jason, you almost wonder if he'll rest during Fargo because it might not bring many challenges.  If I was coaching for one year only and had to win right now, I honest-to-goodness would choose Jason to be on my team as a true freshman next year over Alex at his absolute college best.  I think he's that much better than Alex was.

2. Jason will brawl against guys on his level.  In my humble, humble opinion, Alex was always tentative--even in a few Indiana high school matches--if he had a match against someone on his level.  Jason just keeps coming at you, in that Howe sort of way, where you know his development won't stop because he won't stop taking chances and improving.  I was worried when Alex entered college because I thought there was a chance his ceiling would be limited by his unwillingness to go after it when there was a chance of losing during that more developmental state of his career.  He won some impressive one-to-zero-in-double-overtime-type of matches against tough guys as a freshman in college, then just never got a whole lot better.

3. Jason is a beast on top in folkstyle in a way that Alex never developed.  In Jason's first couple years in high school, I don't think he always got the techs that Alex may have, but he meanwhile developed excellent mat skills that put him steps ahead for the next level.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know the two personally at all, so these are just my observations from afar:

1. Alex wasn't nearly as polished as Jason is at this point in their careers.  Alex was an elite prospect, but not a 'no-doubt' prospect in terms of competing for national titles.  He had some tough off-season matches after his senior year of high school.  With Jason, you almost wonder if he'll rest during Fargo because it might not bring many challenges.  If I was coaching for one year only and had to win right now, I honest-to-goodness would choose Jason to be on my team as a true freshman next year over Alex at his absolute college best.  I think he's that much better than Alex was.

2. Jason will brawl against guys on his level.  In my humble, humble opinion, Alex was always tentative--even in a few Indiana high school matches--if he had a match against someone on his level.  Jason just keeps coming at you, in that Howe sort of way, where you know his development won't stop because he won't stop taking chances and improving.  I was worried when Alex entered college because I thought there was a chance his ceiling would be limited by his unwillingness to go after it when there was a chance of losing during that more developmental state of his career.   He won some impressive one-to-zero-in-double-overtime-type of matches against tough guys as a freshman in college, then just never got a whole lot better.

3. Jason is a beast on top in folkstyle in a way that Alex never developed.  In Jason's first couple years in high school, I don't think he always got the techs that Alex may have, but he meanwhile developed excellent mat skills that put him steps ahead for the next level.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with your analysis of the two.  I do have a question for you, regarding Jason.  Is he more polished in terms of scoring from bottom, against high level competition?  Alex was great on his feet, as a college Freshman, but struggled from bottom against anyone who was good on top.  Can Jason score from bottom, no matter how good his opponent is on top?  My guess would be yes, but I haven't seen him in those situations enough to say for sure.

I agree with your analysis of the two.  I do have a question for you, regarding Jason.  Is he more polished in terms of scoring from bottom, against high level competition?  Alex was great on his feet, as a college Freshman, but struggled from bottom against anyone who was good on top.  Can Jason score from bottom, no matter how good his opponent is on top?  My guess would be yes, but I haven't seen him in those situations enough to say for sure.

I'm with you.  I really don't know.  As you said, my guess would be yes; but it would just be a guess.

I agree with your analysis of the two.  I do have a question for you, regarding Jason.  Is he more polished in terms of scoring from bottom, against high level competition?  Alex was great on his feet, as a college Freshman, but struggled from bottom against anyone who was good on top.  Can Jason score from bottom, no matter how good his opponent is on top?  My guess would be yes, but I haven't seen him in those situations enough to say for sure.

It's worth understanding that Alex and Jason while they share some characteristics are not the same exact type of wrestler.  Jason's created a slightly different style and Alex (and some others) have helped him in refining his techniques.  I'd say having the guidance of a DI brother (and other former college wrestlers)  for the last few years has probably been a big help to him being aware of what needs to be worked on to make an impact at the college level.

Lots of high level wrestlers coming out of high school struggle from the bottom. College is a different world - every match in the big ten is tough. Add the travel and weight cut it could be a rude awaking.  No doubt big brother has prepared Jason. It shall be interesting to see how he will fare. I really hopes he redshirts- not that he won't do well enough to AA. I think he can hang with anyone on his feet - but we will see how he does from the bottom position.

I agree with Maligned's assessments, and I would add the following:

1. His losses as a freshman to Napules and Quiroga were highly beneficial. They quickly took away the pressure of an unbeaten high school career and he used them as fuel to improve constantly.

2. Alex has admitted that he didn't process losses well and would get down on himself. In this case, Alex's misfortune has aided Jason, as Alex is a constant and consistent training partner and coach. The lessons of Alex's career are something Jason can learn from. Granted, it's not something as simple as Alex saying "don't do what I did", but the issue is almost undoubtedly something they have discussed and worked on.

He does seem to be a rare prospect--some of the insane physical gifts of Hump, the technical superiority of Angel and Alex and the iron will of Howe. I'm not saying he's definitely going to be more successful than any of those guys, but he has a chance

I think Alex was his own biggest enemy.  He made many poor decisions off the mat that I think Jason will learn from. 

That might be part of the reason Jason wanted to stay closer to home.  Not only for a great education, but to have those relationships so close. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.