Evansville fans! Best wrestlers in the history of Evansville?

Jayruss

Who is up to the challenge at listing the best wrestlers in the history of evansville at each weight?

not sure what weights you would put them at but i'm guessing blake maurer, matt coughlin, craig weinzapfel, craig macke, greg schaefer, jared williams, james brimm

Sam Lamb, John Jeske, Bobby Claybrooks, Alan Grammer, Roger Reis, Darren Grimwood, Steve Noriega, Anthony Williams, Marlon Flemming, Darren Happe, Levi Grant, Bobby Stone, Sam Lahonis, Matt Powless... just to name a few non MD guys  :)

Stole my thunder. Good call on Sam Lamb Chuck...blast from the past! One tough (mean) dude!

Having taken a few losses from Craig Macke I will def vouch for his place on this list.

For the sake of arguement I will also vote for:

Conner Zuber- 3x SQ, 2 x State Placer (I took too many bumps and bruises from this standout!)

Stein is from Princeton.

Correct. i was just assuming, from this area.

But i think blake ruegar may be on the list as well. just for the pure fact that with the way the 152 weight class went down, he may have won state if it hadn't been for Farmer beating him. i think if ruegar would have made it to state, he would have won.

I am assuming you would count Castle wrestlers here? They do wrestle in the same conference as all the Evansville schools. If so, I would add the Welch twins, Thad Oldham 2x State champ, Pat Mayes State champ and runner-up with maybe one of the most dominant senior years ever, and Matt Deters.

Greg Schaeffer -MD, John Dehaven -MEM, Craig Macke - MD, Dustin Nosko - MD, Craig Weinzapfel - MD, Blake Maurer - MD, Matt Coughlin - MD, Clint Happe - MEM, Anthony Williams -Central

Im not sure we could break them down by weight with the changes but i would take these 14 in a reasonable order by weight up against any team.

I did a little more homework (not much more), and here would be my All Evansville (SIAC) team with current weight classes.

106- Alan Grammer (Reitz)

113 - Craig Macke (MD)

120 - Greg Schaeffer (MD)

126 - Anthony Williams (Central)

132 - Darren Grimwood (Harrison)

138 - Craig Weinzapfel (MD)

145 - Thad Oldham (Castle)

152 - Dustin Nosko (MD)

160 - Matt Coughlin (MD)

170 - Doug Welch (Castle)

182 - Chad Welch (Castle)

195 - Blake Maurer (MD)

220 - James Brimm (Central)

285 - Pat Mayes (Castle)

I would throw Caleb Schmitt up there. Deters and Mayes are a definite. Doug and chad welch wrestled at 152 and 160 btw

The problem is that some guys won titles at a couple different weights. I feel like blake maurer would've rolled over some guys no problem, so where do you list him?

I would throw Caleb Schmitt up there. Deters and Mayes are a definite. Doug and chad welch wrestled at 152 and 160 btw

The problem is that some guys won titles at a couple different weights. I feel like blake maurer would've rolled over some guys no problem, so where do you list him?

I made some minor adjustments in order to fill the roster. This would be more of a dream team, rather than the best at their respective weight(s). I have Maurer at 195. He obviously didnt wrestle there but I would suspect he would be just fine.

I may be a little bias but, one addition to the list would be Alex Johns Reitz grad 2009. At the time of graduating he was 8th all-time in the state in career wins. 197-16.  Three-time state placer ( 6th, 3rd,3rd) Two of his losses at state were in the semis to two-time state champ Brandon Wright. Three-time Semi-State finalist and a two time champ. Three-time regional,sectional, and SIAC  champ. NCAA DII Nat'l qualifier his freshman year, redshirting this season and has two more years of elgibility.    8)

Sam Lamb, John Jeske, Bobby Claybrooks, Alan Grammer, Roger Reis, Darren Grimwood, Steve Noriega, Anthony Williams, Marlon Flemming, Darren Happe, Levi Grant, Bobby Stone, Sam Lahonis, Matt Powless... just to name a few non MD guys  :)

You just brought back my childhood!  Let me see how many I can remember....

Lamb - Bosse?

Jeske - North

Claybrooks - North?

Grammer - Reitz

Reis - can't remember, when did he wrestle?

Grimwood - Harrison

Noreiga - Central?  memory is foggy on him, but I remember the name

Williams - Central

Fleming - ?  no idea

Grant - ? no idea

Happe - Central?

Stone - ? no idea

Lahanis - Bosse

Powless - Memorial

Roger Reisz, Reitz, 1978-82.  2x runnerup to David Palmer.

Steve Noriega, Central, 1977-81.  State champ at 98, I think.

Happe was Central I think - permanent opponent of McDonald, MD.

Bobby Stone, Reitz, 1973-77.  3rd at 105.

I did a little more homework (not much more), and here would be my All Evansville (SIAC) team with current weight classes.

106- Alan Grammer (Reitz)

113 - Craig Macke (MD)

120 - Greg Schaeffer (MD)

126 - Anthony Williams (Central)

132 - Darren Grimwood (Harrison)

138 - Craig Weinzapfel (MD)

145 - Thad Oldham (Castle)

152 - Dustin Nosko (MD)

160 - Matt Coughlin (MD)

170 - Doug Welch (Castle)

182 - Chad Welch (Castle)

195 - Blake Maurer (MD)

220 - James Brimm (Central)

285 - Pat Mayes (Castle)

This list would be fine for the last 10-15 years but history no. 

There were wrestlers in SIAC that beat some of the people on this list, there are a couple of of old timers that should be on this list, Chip Elderkin should be on this list at 106, Harp from Reitz Tom Zenthoefer a couple of Boots from 70's, Reitz had more than I can remember Brady French comes to mind Central had a few.

Someone needs to find someone that kept the newspaper articles from over the years and we can sit down drink a beer(if you are old enough) and make a list of the top three for each weight class.I think the list would be different then what is posted because there have been some really good wrestlers out of this area that are forgotten due to the recent influx of good wrestlers to come through.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.