Disney Duals Legal or Not?

Y2CJ41

Jim,

According to the letter of the rule there is no violation, but there is more to it than that which is the spirit of the rule. 

Tell me this, you have a rule in your classroom that says no gum allowed.  Joey brings in M&M?s and starts munching on them.  What do you do?  It technically isn?t gum, but you surely don?t want everyone bringing in food.  He is not violating the rule, just finding a way around it.

Another example, you assign a paper to the students and tell them it is a solo project and they cannot work on it with another student in the class.  However Joey decides to work on it with his friend who had your class two years ago.  What do you do?  He isn?t violating the rule, just finding a way around it.

Send Joey to law school

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good plan, the bad part of that plan is it could cost your son IHSAA eligibility if you choose the wrong "stupid" rule to not follow.

I never said there are not consequences for not follow Stupid rules.

"Mama says Stupid is as Stupid does"

If the state says I can't contact athletes I usually coach on a given day, and I set them up with another coach to work with on that day, how is that not trying to work around the rule?  If you think it is OK to work around the rule, then say so and we can agree to disagree on that.  But if you are trying to say that in this case, I am not attempting to find a way around the moratorium rule, then I don't see the logic.

Wahoo 4 U! 

You know Walt, I try to stress the importance of rehydration after competition to these young coaches and referees. It's very important for the coaches and referees to rehydrate and carbo load after a competition. Following my simple plan leads to better recovery after a long day of wrestling.

We always appreciate the advice and mentoring Mr. Clark!! ;D

Thinking about running a camp starting july 2nd if any coaches or athletes would like to participate...practices will be held @ the ihsaa headquarters from 8am to 3pm.....if were quiet, they wont even know we exist....but if were loud, they'll have no choice but to listen to us!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Is it possible that the moratorium dates be moved? Has the IHSSA given any consideration to the fact that Disney and Fargo both take place in the first two weeks of July, and a week off for a serious wrestler is just not an option?? I don't think a blackout week is a bad idea, and it should be observed for the health of the athlete. But placing the moratorium in the first week of July seems ridiculous. I want my kids to compete at these events when they are of age. But I'd also like to follow the rules. This puts the wrestlers and their families in a bad spot.

With the relationship that wrestling coaches have with the IHSAA, I would say there is about zero chance.

Fargo is in late July and therefore they can attend the event.  What I tell the kids I coach during that week is to get workouts done on your own.  If they are motivated they should be doing that anyway.

I would want and advise them to take the week off.  Let the body rest and the mind refresh.  Of course I coach football and track and would rather see kids be healthy and ready to rock and roll in mid august.  I also know that our athletes are in a comprehensive summer weights/agility/speed development program. 

Couldn't the coaches appeal to the IHSAA to clear participation in the Disney Duals since it doesn't actually occur during the official wrestling season?  I understand what I believe to be the idea behind the moratorium week, but Disney is a great opportunity for our young wrestlers.

Giving families an opportunity to schedule vacations in advance is critical.  For families with multiple athletes in various sports it makes an otherwise impossible task - very easy.

I agree with family vacations, but if the family is all in for the wrestling how many take their vacation to Orlando and Fargo due to the wrestling? I would say their is a really good chance those two events eat up a lot of parents summer vacation time. I again say it is crazy to not move the moretorium date. It is a reflection of the relationship between the coaches association and the IHSAA if a simple thing like moving of dates is not possible.

Suggesting a kid keep in shape and do things on his own is different than organizing a trip and then having volunteer coaches come in and coach them.

That is your interpretation. Who's to say the IHSAA doesn't interpret it different?

I guess I'm having a hard time latching on the idea that IHSAA gives us an okay, we do it, they come back on us, and it's our fault??

That's like asking mom and dad to drive the car, then getting arrested for G.T.A. Insane!!

A quote from Bobby Cox:

"The wrestling club set-up and the regional training center model allows high school coaches to somewhat circumvent some rules but regardless of their outside affiliations, they may not have contact with any student athletes from their school during this time period."

They can give you permission and say it is within the "rules," but they don't have to be happy about it.  Just as when you daughter brings one of tskin's sons home you let her go out with him, but don't necessarily approve of it.

Or when a kid schedules a dentist appointment during practice.  You obviously let him go, but aren't going to be overly enthused that he is missing vital practice time.  

Couldn't the coaches appeal to the IHSAA to clear participation in the Disney Duals since it doesn't actually occur during the official wrestling season?  I understand what I believe to be the idea behind the moratorium week, but Disney is a great opportunity for our young wrestlers.

Don't you think there are opportunities during moratorium in other sports?  The fact is, the moratorium is there.  I know that there are a lot of things that our football, basketball, soccer, etc. teams could accomplish during that time that would be very valuable to their cause.  We can't expect an entire calender (or even part of a calender that is to impact all sports) to be based around  the things that the sport of wrestling wants to accomplish in the off season.  If our IHSAA calender were altered to accommodate basketball, there would be a huge out crying of "foul" from the wrestling community.

They can give you permission and say it is within the "rules," but they don't have to be happy about it.  Just as when you daughter brings one of tskin's sons home you let her go out with him, but don't necessarily approve of it.

Or when a kid schedules a dentist appointment during practice.  You obviously let him go, but aren't going to be overly enthused that he is missing vital practice time.  

And further more, you are going to be less flexible when that same kid needs something tailored to his/her needs in the future.

Some IHSAA penalties for Sunday and after deadline offences

ABC High School ? Commissioner Ress reported the following action as a result of a violation of

Rule 15-2.2a

(Seven softball players participated on same team after deadline).

1. The ABC High School softball program is issued a warning.

2. The student athletes involved in this violation shall be suspended from participation in three softball games at the start of the 2011 softball season. It is the school?s prerogative to stagger these suspensions over the first ten games of the season.

DEF High School ? Commissioner Ress reported the following action as a result of a violation of Rule 9-

13  (Assistant girls? golf coach had a Sunday session with a member of the girls? golf team).

1. The DEF High School girls? golf program is issued a warning.

2. The IHSAA supports and accepts as appropriate the suspension of the assistant girls? golf coach that was

involved in this violation for the remainder of the season.

3. Due to the suspension of the assistant coach, the student athlete involved in this rule violation shall not be

Penalized

GHI High School ? Commissioner Ress reported the following action as a result of a violation of Rule

15-2.2a (Eight softball players participated on same team after deadline).

1. The GHI High School softball program is issued a warning.

2. The student athletes involved in this violation shall be suspended from participation in three softball games at the start of the 2011 softball season. It is the school?s prerogative to stagger these suspensions over the first ten games of the season.

Some of us have been busy working and missed this whole thread but a little birdie the size of big bird told me to check out this thread and all I have to say is I have a bad feeling one of my two boys is going to end up with TripleB daughter....or Little B will give the pouty face to my Maylie and sweep her off her feet, then back salto her.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.