Disney Duals Legal or Not?

Y2CJ41

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So all the kids that are at jrob camp and all the other camps going on should be shut down.  And, are you making up the spirit of the rule or did you read that somewhere.  My interpretation of the rule is that exaclty what it says.  No contact from the coaching staff.  Do you want to take a poll and see how many kids will be at a camp, at an academy, training for Fargo...do you think the kids training for Fargo are taking 7 days off.  Really??  a few weeks before?  I doubt it. Maybe we should not have Fargo since it puts a strain on the kids that want to win since they have to train all summer.    

So all the kids that are at jrob camp and all the other camps going on should be shut down.  And, are you making up the spirit of the rule or did you read that somewhere.  My interpretation of the rule is that exaclty what it says.  No contact from the coaching staff.  Do you want to take a poll and see how many kids will be at a camp, at an academy, training for Fargo...do you think the kids training for Fargo are taking 7 days off.  Really??  a few weeks before?  I doubt it. Maybe we should not have Fargo since it puts a strain on the kids that want to win since they have to train all summer.   

I am asking what the spirit of the rule is?  The rule actually reads no contact between coaches and athletes during that week.  I find it hard to believe that there will be ZERO contact between athletes and coaches on July 2nd and 3rd. 

I think the state just wants them to take 7 days off from being coached.  I am sure plenty of kids who go to Fargo observe the moratorium

I would guess you are right in the regards of kids needing time away. In fact we have a policy in place where we tell our kids we don't want to see them for three weeks(actually if they don't go to Fargo it's about 4 weeks). But I would beg to differ that the serious Fargo AA candidate is taking a full week off two weeks prior to leaving or a week prior to their team camp. No way!!  And you are speculating as to who is going to coach their kid on July 2nd or 3rd. Why?  Is this topic of importance to you?  Or do you just try and create topics of a questionable nature. You are setting people up prior to any wrong doing for what reason?

And you are speculating as to who is going to coach their kid on July 2nd or 3rd. Why?  Is this topic of importance to you?  Or do you just try and create topics of a questionable nature. You are setting people up prior to any wrong doing for what reason?

I am speculating nothing.  I am saying that if they is ANY contact between coaches and athletes on July 2nd and 3rd or any athletic contest conduced, then the athlete and/or coaches are in violation of IHSAA bylaw 15-3.4.  This is of course my interpretation of the bylaw.  It is not questionable in my opinion, it is an out and out violation.  For what reason?  Oh I don't know, maybe I just think folks should follow the rules?  Again, this is just my interpretation of the bylaw. 

Jim,

According to the letter of the rule there is no violation, but there is more to it than that which is the spirit of the rule. 

Tell me this, you have a rule in your classroom that says no gum allowed.  Joey brings in M&M?s and starts munching on them.  What do you do?  It technically isn?t gum, but you surely don?t want everyone bringing in food.  He is not violating the rule, just finding a way around it.

Another example, you assign a paper to the students and tell them it is a solo project and they cannot work on it with another student in the class.  However Joey decides to work on it with his friend who had your class two years ago.  What do you do?  He isn?t violating the rule, just finding a way around it.

Now tell me if this is the same kid and there are repeat offenses of this nature week in, week out.  How do you perceive this kid?  Do you do anything special for this kid?  If you have a choice between helping this kid and another student who gives you no trouble, who do you help?

I assume that they mean paid high school coaches and/or volunteer high school coaches. If left in the care of parents or somebody not involved with the High School program, I would think that this would be out of their realm.

Maybe you, Y2, and I can just go to Disney and be coaches for hire!

I assume that they mean paid high school coaches and/or volunteer high school coaches. If left in the care of parents or somebody not involved with the High School program, I would think that this would be out of their realm.

Maybe you, Y2, and I can just go to Disney and be coaches for hire!

But still skirting the intent of the moratorium I think you would agree

Umm, I wouldn't use words like skirting or anything like that.

You are giving your wrestlers a once in a lifetime opportunity. You do everything by the book. Then when the clock runs out, you bow out and head back to Indiana. They aren't recieving instruction from you or your staff.

Umm, I wouldn't use words like skirting or anything like that.

You are giving your wrestlers a once in a lifetime opportunity. You do everything by the book. Then when the clock runs out, you bow out and head back to Indiana. They aren't recieving instruction from you or your staff.

If the interpretation of "left in the care of parents or some one not involved with the High school program" is ok with the IHSAA then it seems kosher but the way the rule reads to me is no contact and no contests, including conditioning .  That doesn't leave much wiggle room.  I would think some parents might be leery of having kids supervised by someone "not involved with the high school program".  Don't they become involved with high school program as soon as they start coaching or supervising them?  

Hey. Batman and Robin. I gotta go to practice and try to win a state title but I will see you in the batcave later to discuss the rules that nobody broke that you are so sure are skirted. Whatever that means.

If your not worried why the attempt to deflect the issue by name calling.  I believe they are being broken.  That has been my contention from the start. 

IHSAA bylaws 15-3.4 Moratorium

Each member school shall observe a moratorium week starting on Monday of the week which includes July 4th, either IHSAA calendar Week 52 or Week 1. During this seven day period, there shall be no contact between athletes and coaches, and no athletic activities, including conditioning, conducted.

Joe or Chad

If during a wrestling tournament a wrestlers (who went 0-2) parents tell you Li'l Johnny is riding home with his grand parents or an aunt and uncle. Do you still have responsibility for that wrestlers safe return? 

If during a wrestling tournament a wrestlers (who went 0-2) parents tell you Li'l Johnny is riding home with his grand parents or an aunt and uncle. Do you still have responsibility for that wrestlers safe return? 

At both school corporations that I have worked it has been athletic dept policy that in order for Lil' Johnny to be taken home by anyone but his parents it needs to be prearranged and approved by the AD.  Not sure this answers the question but that is how it always worked.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.