Disney Duals Legal or Not?

Y2CJ41

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing which bothers me is that the IHSAA would not look at the Disney Duals date and change the moretorium so it does not effect the duals or a wrestlers preperation for Fargo. The fact that the IHSAA does not consider this tells me they are out of touch with the wrestling community.

So this got way off topic from what I had origionally planned. And Karl I am still upset at you for picking me to finish 5th at state especially since I was the only one to beat Harvey last year. It kind of hurt me lol

I apologize,  I will say I picked you in other pick 'ems to win.  Harv's a big sissy anyways.  Congrats and good luck at Indy.

After all this discussion I hope that the kid who started this thread and the others that responded saying they would like to be on a Disney team find one.  I also hope that there is a paid high school coach that is willing to coach them all the way up until 11:59 pm on July the 1st.  Then I hope that coach takes the last 59 seconds to say to that kid that he won't be able to coach the kid the next day because that is the rule and rules are made to be followed period.  I hope that coach says I coached you up until this point because I want you to get everything you possibly can out of the best sport on the face of the earth.  If you want to put as much time and effort as you possibly can into wrestling I will be right here with you doing everything I can to help you achieve your goals.  After Fargo I want you to take 3 weeks off and go fishing, spend time with your family or do whatever makes you happy.  I think that is how the spirit of the rule should be intrepreted.  This intrepretation is probably why some programs like Perry, Penn, Mishawaka and Mater Dei have been so successful and others have not.  

No. No team yet. im tryin tho. didn't realize how hard it would be just to find a team to take me.

Brendon,

It won' t be hard, trust me. It's just a lot of teams haven't started prepping yet. Some are still focused on next week and some are just taking a breather.

Registration isn't even open yet on the AAU website.

Okay. I just didn't wanna wait and miss some deadline or have the spots filled or something like that.

Thank you though.

Karl and Y2... at the risk of getting uncool points I will add to this conversation... if you pick your nose long enough you will find a booger!!  Let it go already.  Just because you yourself do not want to go to disney or take a team doesn't mean that other people are skirting the rules by allowing parents to bring kids home. 

What if the coaches son is on the team and they decide to have a family vacation in Florida after it is over and his son's best friend is on the team and he wants to hang with them for the week?  I guess dad and son can't go to dinner, play catch at the beach or even have a few takedown tourney in the pool according your strict interpretations???  You could what if this moritorium rule to death. 

The rule is in place so that parents can have a specific week to plan vacations in which the coach can not interfere with those family plans.  That is the "spirit" of the rule.  Your interpretation would limit kids opportunities for camps, national competition and other special events that happen to fall during that week.  That is Indiana's week not the rest of the nations week.  I know of tennis players, golfers and even football players who have traveled and competed in events during this week.  and shhhh don't tell anyone, but their coaches were there watching and sometimes maybe even giving advice....

Maybe, just maybe some of us are concerned that the wrestling coaches have a horrible reputation with the IHSAA and want to eliminate that.  Ask Robert Faulkins or Bobby Cox what they think of the wrestling coaches and after five minutes of laughter they will tell you that they are a bunch of renegades who at every turn try to circumvent the rules.  Just as I said earlier the IHSAA gave "permission" for the IHSWCA to hand out a coaches trophy to the state champion at the individual finals....yet has now used that as an excuse to get rid of team state.  If we want things like wrestle-backs or team state to return the coaches need to clean up their acts and not try to find every loophole possible with every rule. 

Some of us are concerned about the sport as a whole and not just our own team.

Maybe, just maybe some of us are concerned that the wrestling coaches have a horrible reputation with the IHSAA and want to eliminate that.  Ask Robert Faulkins or Bobby Cox what they think of the wrestling coaches and after five minutes of laughter they will tell you that they are a bunch of renegades who at every turn try to circumvent the rules.  Just as I said earlier the IHSAA gave "permission" for the IHSWCA to hand out a coaches trophy to the state champion at the individual finals....yet has now used that as an excuse to get rid of team state.  If we want things like wrestle-backs or team state to return the coaches need to clean up their acts and not try to find every loophole possible with every rule. 

Some of us are concerned about the sport as a whole and not just our own team.

I think that the issue is more with the IHSAA than us. If your teacher tells you that you can eat M&M's in class, then suddenly writes you up. Did you really do anything wrong?

If you have a kid that tells you he is going out of state for three days for Christmas you grant him the leave.  That doesn't mean you necessarily endorse what the athlete is doing.

The IHSAA is saying that a volunteer coach can be at Disney coaching during moratorium, does that also mean that the volunteer coaches can run football/track/baseball/wrestling practices during moratorium week at the school?

I think that this is where the IHSAA police come into play. That's there job to sort that out.

My opinion is that if a club coach is running open mats at the Y, and that club coach has no affiliation with the high school program (meaning he doesn't attend their practices, comes to meets and pays to get in and sits in the stands, etc) and kids aren't being forced to go then it is fine and it's not skirting the rules, finding loopholes, or anything like that.

Dang it... you went from 19 cool points to 11..... but here goes maybe i'll go to 0 .... I have had several conversations with Bobby Cox and Robert Faulkins.  I have never heard them refer to wrestling coaches as "renegades"  

I do however know what they think of this message board and how it seems to always stir controversy.... maybe we should shut it down to help our relationship with them. ????

Dang it... you went from 19 cool points to 11..... but here goes maybe i'll go to 0 .... I have had several conversations with Bobby Cox and Robert Faulkins.  I have never heard them refer to wrestling coaches as "renegades" 

Really?? I have had the exact opposite response.  They must be able to play to their audience.

You guys find  "legal" place to run practice for the kids going to Fargo over the no contact days and I will do it. I was a coach long before I was a referee so I can probably manage to run a practice or two.

I'm not affiliated with any school or club. That wouldn't be cheating or a loophole or skirting....unless the kid has a hot mom and then skirting might be on the agenda....after practice of course.

Tom Clark

If the state says I can't contact athletes I usually coach on a given day, and I set them up with another coach to work with on that day, how is that not trying to work around the rule?  If you think it is OK to work around the rule, then say so and we can agree to disagree on that.  But if you are trying to say that in this case, I am not attempting to find a way around the moratorium rule, then I don't see the logic.

You guys find  "legal" place to run practice for the kids going to Fargo over the no contact days and I will do it. I was a coach long before I was a referee so I can probably manage to run a practice or two.

I'm not affiliated with any school or club. That wouldn't be cheating or a loophole or skirting....unless the kid has a hot mom and then skirting might be on the agenda....after practice of course.

Tom Clark

Try the Magic Kingdom, it is legal for volunteer, unpaid coaches to work with their athletes there. :)

Sounds like a good plan Coach Zebra!!   When it is over we can take them bowling as long as its not on Shabbas.

Am I Wrong?!?

You know Walt, I try to stress the importance of rehydration after competition to these young coaches and referees. It's very important for the coaches and referees to rehydrate and carbo load after a competition. Following my simple plan leads to better recovery after a long day of wrestling.

I'm confused Y2 -- did you seriously just delete the comments from the kids who started this thread looking for a team in favor of making this completely about what you deem "skirting the rules?" Please tell me that I'm missing something here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.