Stalling....

Bash513

Watching Penn State v. Iowa last night and the announcer made a comment about one wrestler taking all of the shots throughout the match so he was afforded the right to stall to defend his lead in the final minute or so.  Not saying he is right or wrong, but what is everyone's opinion on this?  Is stalling a cumulative thing throughout the entire match or is it "in the moment"? 

I will throw out my 2 cents worth:  Stalling is "in the moment" as you put it.  It does not or should not matter what has happened throughout the match.  However, with that being said, probably more cases than not if you can leave an early impression in the officials mind that you are the one pushing the action you are more than likely going to get a "pass" on a later stall.... everyone is human.

I will throw out my 2 cents worth:  Stalling is "in the moment" as you put it.  It does not or should not matter what has happened throughout the match.  However, with that being said, probably more cases than not if you can leave an early impression in the officials mind that you are the one pushing the action you are more than likely going to get a "pass" on a later stall.... everyone is human.

I would agree with that.  :)

why be satisfied with winning by stalling i say keep working for the pin or points for a tech the better wrestler should not have to stall

I have seen very good wrestlers in all levels of the state tournament who have continued to work for the pin, with 30 sec left and been caught in a crap move the other wrestler threw in desperation to try and win. I taught my sons to wrestle hard, aggressive and look for the ultimate win with a pin. But when it comes down to the last of the third period, you have a small lead and you have given all to get where you in the match, STALL YOUR BUTT OFF.  Both boys have been caught in the last ditch effort of their opponent to win.

After having said this, I hate stalling especially when one wrestler gets a small lead and then does nothing for the rest of the first two periods. If some one were to tell me that my son is stalling and the ref should call it, I won't disagree with them.

However to me the worst part about stalling is how it gets called these  days or does not. You can see a man ride with the crab or legs and move from side to side banging on the head, puling a arm  but never leaving the hips. Wrestlers know that it is almost impossible to turn some one with out getting to a side, yet it will be the bottom man who gets hit with the stalling, becuase if he opens up to much it could be bad for him.

In the confernece tourney this weekend I watch one wrestler take lots of shots through out the 3rd and the 1 min of OT, and the other wrestler backing out and riding the edge. The ref called both for stalling becuase there was no action. I personally think he knew the one wrestler was stalling but did not want to have to argue with his coach, so he made a "no call"

But when it comes down to the last of the third period, you have a small lead and you have given all to get where you in the match, STALL YOUR BUTT OFF.  Both boys have been caught in the last ditch effort of their opponent to win.

I call it match management and agressive stalling (oxymoron).  There are things you can do that aren't putting yourself in jeopardy and, at the same time, making it look like you are working for something be it top or bottom.

I have seen very good wrestlers in all levels of the state tournament who have continued to work for the pin, with 30 sec left and been caught in a crap move the other wrestler threw in desperation to try and win. I taught my sons to wrestle hard, aggressive and look for the ultimate win with a pin. But when it comes down to the last of the third period, you have a small lead and you have given all to get where you in the match, STALL YOUR BUTT OFF.  Both boys have been caught in the last ditch effort of their opponent to win.

After having said this, I hate stalling especially when one wrestler gets a small lead and then does nothing for the rest of the first two periods. If some one were to tell me that my son is stalling and the ref should call it, I won't disagree with them.

However to me the worst part about stalling is how it gets called these  days or does not. You can see a man ride with the crab or legs and move from side to side banging on the head, puling a arm  but never leaving the hips. Wrestlers know that it is almost impossible to turn some one with out getting to a side, yet it will be the bottom man who gets hit with the stalling, becuase if he opens up to much it could be bad for him.

In the confernece tourney this weekend I watch one wrestler take lots of shots through out the 3rd and the 1 min of OT, and the other wrestler backing out and riding the edge. The ref called both for stalling becuase there was no action. I personally think he knew the one wrestler was stalling but did not want to have to argue with his coach, so he made a "no call"

So you agree with stalling or you don't?

Bottom line is if a wrestler has earned a lead and is stalling to try to protect that lead. So be it. He didn't take the mat to not get called for stalling he took the mat to defeat the other wrestler. So you might say he has earned the right to stall to secure the victory

I call it match management and agressive stalling (oxymoron).  There are things you can do that aren't putting yourself in jeopardy and, at the same time, making it look like you are working for something be it top or bottom.

I agree that it's match management

Mayor, I hate stalling. But as another soul said "match management" much like two min drill in football, or slowing down the game in basketball by using all the shot clock, or fouling to stop the clock and hope your opponent can't hit free throws.

But let me be as honest as possible here, I hate stalling when has adverse effect on my team and the ref does not or wrongly calls it against us. However if my team is using it to our advantage then it "works for me"

I agree that I see wrestlers with the lead getting called for stalling just because they seem to have the lead, and I understand stalling is stalling but I would like for the officals to make the other wrestler start opening up instead of forcing the wrestler thats in the lead to make mistakes. If a wrestler for instance is not riding the hips and the bottom is not attempting to get away I do not want to see a stall call just because he is on top with a lead. It is as if the bottom wrestler who is loosing is being rewarded, the rule does read he has to attempt to get away but alot of officals call the match according to the score!

I agree that I see wrestlers with the lead getting called for stalling just because they seem to have the lead, and I understand stalling is stalling but I would like for the officals to make the other wrestler start opening up instead of forcing the wrestler thats in the lead to make mistakes. If a wrestler for instance is not riding the hips and the bottom is not attempting to get away I do not want to see a stall call just because he is on top with a lead. It is as if the bottom wrestler who is loosing is being rewarded, the rule does read he has to attempt to get away but alot of officals call the match according to the score!

;D :-X

A lot of what some people consider stalling is just a different style of wrestling... some coaches teach their kids to be aggressive all the time and constantly look to score. Others teach to look for their opponents mistakes, and only be aggressive if they need to.

I think the 2nd style is often what some people call stalling. I'm not gonna lie i'll be one of the first people complaining about not being aggressive and looking to score. Even if its the kids i'm coaching

Stalling is and will continue to be the contraversial call in wrestling.  I have heard Coach A yell at the refs to call stalling when the opponent is riding the hips then yell at the Ref during the same match for calling stalling on his kid for riding the hips. 

That being said, if a kid is pushing the action for 5 mins and gets the lead and in the last min the other wrestler starts to push the action I have to wonder if there shouldnt have been a stalling call on the kid losing during the first 5 mins of the match. 

That being said, if a kid is pushing the action for 5 mins and gets the lead and in the last min the other wrestler starts to push the action I have to wonder if there shouldnt have been a stalling call on the kid losing during the first 5 mins of the match. 

Thats what i was going to say. I have s een it happen a lot this year where wrestler A is pushing the action the whole time where wrestler B backed up, wrestlef the line, going out when about to be taken down. Then later in the match wrestler A is tired, stopped taking shots but was the only person to take a shot the whole match, get hit with 2 stalling calls and loses the match. Its contraversial, but seriously you just awarded a kid for stalling for 4 min with the win

Call it whatever you want, stalling is stalling.  It is a violation of a rule and should be treated as such when it occurs.

Have the testicular fortitude to call it whenever.  Seen a kid get dq'd recently with 1 second left in the match and up by 1.

It is always going to be a tough call for an official and a frustrating call for a coach when it is made.  Especially when officials are calling match after match and may not know a particular wrestlers "style".  It is easy to assume that as a match starts wrestler A is "agressive" and wrestler B is just defending.  Truth is that in many cases wrestler B has a style that does not include offense at all.  These guys will refuse to put themselves in danger on their feet.  Couple that with riding legs and these guys will win a ton of matches as they are "fresh" on bottom and work extremely hard to get the E or T2 and thats all they need to win.  If wrestler A happens to get the E from bottom, he is often much more fatigued and hence easier to stop when taking a shot and score a T2 (again from a defensive position)

On a personal note, I have found the consolation rounds (1-2-2) are much more advantageous to my older son!  He can go out and push the action hard for 1 min. and "expose" a defensive wrestler as wanting nothing to do with offense without working a full 2 mins "chasing" a guy.  Starting the 2nd pd. he is ready to ride a guy hard and work to turn him OR get his E or R and work again to score.  At this point the "defensive" style has to go out the window.

Well, I personally think that stalling is horsecrap! The object of wrestling is not to score until you get a lead and then dance and parade around the mat. The object of the sport and the reason we all love it is because it is 6 minutes of hard grueling work for 2 guys that are trying to prove their superiority by putting their opponent in enough pain that he will roll over to his back and lay there! I've never told my kid to "stall his butt off" nor do I believe I would ever be able to respect a coach who said that to my kid or any other! You dance in a SQUARE and you better work your butt off in the CIRCLE! You have 6 minutes to show everyone you are a contender and if you work your butt off and win by 1 GREAT! But if you got the lead and then ran faster then the other guy maybe you should join the cross country team! You got 6 minutes... Go hard or go home! Win or lose... When you walk off that mat you better have left everything there on it! I'm just saying!

Whether we want to believe it or not, stalling actually helps people win matches.  I think it goes too far when it is a constant occurrence during the match, but none of us can deny that stalling actually saves you for example when you are ahead by 1 point with 25 seconds left. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.