How long until the Doherty record is broken?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its just brothers (and  sisters) so it will be tough to top that. If dads and sons maybe or cousins then yea but alot of families don't have that many kids involved in the sport let along that many successful.

Hard to find a large enough set of brothers to accomplish the task of beating a talented family like the Doherty's.  Not sure what number they will end up at but I know the Tsirtsis brothers should be moving near the top of the list after this year though.  Both Alex and Jason having huge numbers of wins plus their older brother Michael also added a solid number to the total too.

its just brothers (and  sisters) so it will be tough to top that. If dads and sons maybe or cousins then yea but alot of families don't have that many kids involved in the sport let along that many successful.

That's true, but there are a few families that I've heard of, one in NWI, and they got a lot of kids, 6 or 7 I think, and I hear they are pretty good, and the other somewhere down near Indianapolis.

The Blanton's (Alexandria). I think that they have a lot more wins than that. I believe that there are 10 brothers that have all wrestled. I know it has been difficult for them to find documentation on records though and I'm not positive how hard anyone has tried.

Is that Varsity 1, Varsity 2 or Varsity 3? Does anyone even have a "JV" anymore...lol

We struggle to put together a complete Varsity team.  I cannot fathom what a Varsity 2 or 3 would be like.

I have two boys who have wrestled and one that is a freshman now.  They have never wrestled JV because they were needed varsity no matter how good or bad they were.

The FAMILY LIST that Mat Burns has been adding too , reflects brothers and sisters who have wrestled in VARSITY competition in the State of Indiana.

The Schurg Family - Crown Point , may challenge the Doherty total when they ALL finish their High School Careers.

If the BLANTON Family of Alexandria can e-mail me the Boys Names and Year of Graduation and what Totals they have , I'll start digging up all I can.

If we started taking Dad's and cousins , The Maldonado  and the McGinley Families would probably take in 30-40% of the State.  (an old joke from years ago up in the region , : If you wrestled , you were somehow related to a Maldonado- by Birth or by marriage)

The Bakers of Bellmont are related , but some are cousins.

If you know of 2 or more Brothers or Sisters that have a combined Varsity Total of 100 Wins or More . Send me their Names - School - Grad.Year - and Varsity Totals in the State of Indiana.

Thanks - See me at the State Meet

Richard Jay , editor 

Mat Burns Wrestling News & INformation

e-mail:  matburnswn@sbcglobal.net

Being from Indianapolis I know if it was all family cousins involved and everything the McGinleys would put up a staggering #. The head coach at Cathedral is Sean McGinley. I know his set of brother had the all time wins record until being passed a few years back. Brian's kids Tom, Tim, Gavin and Charlie will put up a big # to. At one of the duals for Cathedral someone said from like 72' to 2009 there was a McGinley or cousin on varsity for CHS every year outside of maybe 3 or 4.

Being from Indianapolis I know if it was all family cousins involved and everything the McGinleys would put up a staggering #. The head coach at Cathedral is Sean McGinley. I know his set of brother had the all time wins record until being passed a few years back. Brian's kids Tom, Tim, Gavin and Charlie will put up a big # to. At one of the duals for Cathedral someone said from like 72' to 2009 there was a McGinley or cousin on varsity for CHS every year outside of maybe 3 or 4.

I think that you are missing some of  them and I know that there are a lot more coming up.  LOL.  I don't think that it will ever end....

The Fiechter brothers from Southern Wells have a good start!

Vince - 118 (Graduated  2004)

Troy - 121  (Graduated 2009)

Darin - 134 (Graduated 2010)

Benjamin - 87

Total wins 460

Benjamin still has the rest of this season and his Senior year next year to add to the list. Also the youngest, William is

in the 4th grade at Southern Wells and plans on adding some wins in the future!

The Brescher's from Jasper have a pretty good record and the youngest is just a Sophmore this season. Kade the oldest, Jace (2X State Qualifier), Sean (2x State Qualifier finished 4th Senior year at 140) and Grant the youngest and still wrestling.  I will have to get with Rick Stenftenagel on their wins and losses total.

The FAMILY LIST that Mat Burns has been adding too , reflects brothers and sisters who have wrestled in VARSITY competition in the State of Indiana.

The Schurg Family - Crown Point , may challenge the Doherty total when they ALL finish their High School Careers.

If the BLANTON Family of Alexandria can e-mail me the Boys Names and Year of Graduation and what Totals they have , I'll start digging up all I can.

If we started taking Dad's and cousins , The Maldonado  and the McGinley Families would probably take in 30-40% of the State.  (an old joke from years ago up in the region , : If you wrestled , you were somehow related to a Maldonado- by Birth or by marriage)

The Bakers of Bellmont are related , but some are cousins.

If you know of 2 or more Brothers or Sisters that have a combined Varsity Total of 100 Wins or More . Send me their Names - School - Grad.Year - and Varsity Totals in the State of Indiana.

Thanks - See me at the State Meet

Richard Jay , editor 

Mat Burns Wrestling News & INformation

e-mail:  matburnswn@sbcglobal.net

I thought all of the Schurg's had graduated... but apparantly not, can someone send me their progress, I'd like to follow up on them.

There is Darden, a freshman who should put together at least 120-160 wins if he stays healthy and continues on this year's pace and I want to say that there is a 7th or 8th grade brother.  He's not as accomplished as Darden, but will eventually add to the total.

I am familiar with the Schurg Bros from Crown Point.

Dallas Class of '10  (wrestles 141-149lbs for Milwaukee School of Engineering)

Dustin Class of '13  (11th gr)

Denton Class of '14 (10th gr)

Darden Class of '15  (9th gr)

Daylan Class of '16  (8th gr)

Rumor has it the 8th grade Schurg brother may only need 80 (+ or -) Varsity wins in 4 years to beat the Doherty Bros record of 539 wins.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.