No video until finals of team state

Y2CJ41

Just thought I would bring this up as I have been notified that the IHSAA will not allow anyone to do video of the team state this year until they have their people do the finals.  There will be no video of the first two rounds of action including the highly anticipated match between Mater Dei and Crown Point in the first round.  The IHSAA will allow for audio broadcast, but that is it.  If you cannot make it to team state, this would be a great time to email the IHSAA and tell them that this is not right and they need to step up to the plate and allow someone to broadcast video of the first two rounds.  Many people complained of the quality of the feed from individual state and I fear that this will be the same as last week.

Just thought I would bring this up as I have been notified that the IHSAA will not allow anyone to do video of the team state this year until they have their people do the finals.  There will be no video of the first two rounds of action including the highly anticipated match between Mater Dei and Crown Point in the first round.  The IHSAA will allow for audio broadcast, but that is it.  If you cannot make it to team state, this would be a great time to email the IHSAA and tell them that this is not right and they need to step up to the plate and allow someone to broadcast video of the first two rounds.  Many people complained of the quality of the feed from individual state and I fear that this will be the same as last week.

Any ideas as to why they will not allow showing of the first two rounds?  Or is it simply the reason that they are the IHSAA and do whatever the hell they want?

Wasn't their video Of Indiana Team State by some video broadcast network last year. I believe there was video of all three rounds last yr, but not this year, why? Why would the ISHAA  allow video last year but not this year?

I do remember watching the first round last year...

From IHSAA website.

Please note that due to the volume of e-mail messages that we receive on a daily basis, our first priority is to respond to our member schools and registered officials, so we may not be able to respond to every message in a timely manner.

The IHSAA will not respond to e-mail messages that do not include the sender?s full name, affiliation, mailing address and telephone number.

Nothing surprises me anymore especially where the IHSAA is concerned and Bobby Cox, was he voted as Commissioner or whatever he calls himself.  What is the difference between the last four weeks in which people were able to broadcast the matches and this coming Saturday?  Someone please tell me why he would not allow this, because everybody knows that he is personally responsible for this nonsense.  It is not like the IHSAA would lose any dollars over this.

I will Skype it to an address to be posted 20 minutes before the start if enough people are interested.

*Curiously - by the same token - what is the official rule - does it actually say recording the match ? Because Skype isn't recording anything; simply transmitting. Of course if it mentions broadcasting my dastardly plan will be thwarted.

Ehh, I'll still do it if enough people are interested.

I received this from the IHSAA in response to my message asking that the early rounds be permitted to be broadcast (it seems my inquiry was misunderstood as a request for the IHSAA to broadcast them).  The final WILL be broadcast live, but on the site below.  At any rate, here's the message:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the 2011 IHSAA Team Wrestling State

Finals.  While one of our goals in the future is to provide additional

coverage of each round of the finals, at this present time it is not

possible.  It would be very difficult for each match to be covered

equally given the venue, space, personnel and technology assets needed

to cover (4) dual meets simultaneously and still meet our broadcast

quality standards.  I appreciate your passion and love of the sport and

agree that some of the early matchups would make great broadcasts.

The IHSAA Champions Television Network broadcasts a variety of team and

individual IHSAA championship events for both television and web

streaming.  Since the inception of the team wrestling state finals, the

preliminary rounds have not been televised or video web streamed by the

IHSAA.  The championship event will be broadcasted as we have always

done.  In the past, we have occasionally had interested media outlets

from across the state who have streamed live audio on the internet or

broadcasted on the radio some of the preliminary rounds of the team

wrestling state finals, but they have never been video web streamed in

their entirety.

As has always been the case, the team wrestling state championship match

will be video streamed live.  In addition, for the first time we will

also air a tape-delayed broadcast on the IHSAA Champions Television

Network.  Derek Shultz and Mike Goebel will bring you all the action.

Our intent is not do less coverage but rather more coverage and exposure

for wrestling along with the other 19 championship events at the IHSAA.

Due to the fact that the IHSAA will also be streaming the boys swimming

state finals at the same time, the team wrestling state championship

match will be video streamed live at www.hometownsportsindiana.com while

boys swimming will broadcasted on www.ihsaatv.org .

Thank you for your years of service as an IHSAA official and I hope you

are able to watch our broadcast of the finals.  Please let me know if I

can be of any further assistance.  Thank you.

Chris Kaufman

Director of Communications

Indiana High School Athletic Assn., Inc."

If you ask me this is kinda of a double edge sword for us.  We are complaining about this at the same time that the IHSAA says attendance is down.  Seems to me like we are making a good case for them.  Maybe they feel without it being broadcasted this will boost attendance, which from a business point of view is not a bad idea.  This in turn can be a blessing in disguise for us seing that is the issue apperantly.

To be perfectly honest, I think this is a moot point because it seems as if the IHSAA has already made their mind up.  I do not think one year of us bolstering the attendance is going to get the job done. 

Good Luck to all participating Schools this weekend.

I hope the IHSAA has not already made up their mind to stop Team State. I made a suggestion to class team state tourney. Hold one of the three classes at different locations like ! North, 2 Central, 3 South and then rotate each year. This would increse attendance as many people that love wrestling would go to the closer State finals as apposed to making a 3- 4 hour trip. IMO

Wonderful. I just ran out to wal-mart after working from 6pm last night to 8 this morning to buy hdmi cable so we could watch on tv from our laptop. I have been to all but 3 Team State Finals, and will attend in the future. There is nothing like watching Bellmont Wrestling and listening to my young golf coach A.J. Kalver and his sidekick Rex Brewer on WZBD!

Jeff Sheets

If you ask me this is kinda of a double edge sword for us.  We are complaining about this at the same time that the IHSAA says attendance is down.  Seems to me like we are making a good case for them.  Maybe they feel without it being broadcasted this will boost attendance, which from a business point of view is not a bad idea.  This in turn can be a blessing in disguise for us seing that is the issue apperantly.

To be perfectly honest, I think this is a moot point because it seems as if the IHSAA has already made their mind up.  I do not think one year of us bolstering the attendance is going to get the job done. 

Good Luck to all participating Schools this weekend.

I am with XCard on this. While I am disappointed I will not be able to see it (I think the 22 hour round trip would be a bit excessive), I think if those devoted to our beloved sport want to see these great matchups they need to head to Center Grove and support it. This is going to be one helluva good day of wrestling, and everyone within 3 hours drive would do well to head to the gym! Sadly, if it were broadcast, I think it would effect attendance.

I hope the IHSAA has not already made up their mind to stop Team State. I made a suggestion to class team state tourney. Hold one of the three classes at different locations like ! North, 2 Central, 3 South and then rotate each year. This would increse attendance as many people that love wrestling would go to the closer State finals as apposed to making a 3- 4 hour trip. IMO

As someone who grew up in the southernmost corner of the state, I can't say that you would want to be on the receiving end of wrath you would face were you to move Mater Dei's team state (whatever class that would be) further north than Indianapolis. Unlike those of you in the north who can get to indy fairly easily, we have no north-south interstate access. So going from the west side of Evansville to Greenwood is already over 3 hours. Move it to Fort Wayne or Lafayette, and I don't think you would want your address getting out. That's a lot of fans, and a lot of anger.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.