Home school athletes bill

decbell1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this goes through, and the School Choice Program also goes through, I wonder how that would work.  Would a home-schooled athlete be able to "choose" the school he played athletics for? 

To me, that is the big question. If you follow the logics of the two bills separately, I would sure think that someone out there will propose exactly what you just did.

And if the school voucher program passes, what would stop them from allowing home school kids to play for the private schools?

As far as I am concerned....If a parent chooses to bypass a traditional educational experience for their child and homeschool, then they should also understand that their children are also not able to participate in extra-curricular activities for the school.

My kids attended a catholic school from k-5 before transferring to the public school system.  We had parents in the Catholic school also elect to homeschool.  Some because they they did not think the dress code was "appropriate", others because the dress code was too "restrictive".   Some parents did not feel there was enough emphasis on Catholic education, while others thought it was too focused on Catholic teachings.

A few of the parents had no formal training in education and one even held a full time job while "homeschooling" their children.

Someone above made in insightful comment about the kid who actually attends the school being "behind" the homeschooler in the roster.  Man talk about opening a can of worms with that one.

It's hard to please everyone! But if you choose to homeschool...tough luck in my opinion.

formerwrestler

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20110208/NEWS07/302089962

ol' booby cox has to be the most laughable person of authority ever.

"Bobby Cox, commissioner of the IHSAA, testified against the bill, noting it sets up an uneven playing field for students. Public school students must meet certain grade requirements between three and six times a year while a home-schooled student would only have to pass one annual test. ?There is no other accountability during the year,? he said.

Thompson said public school students would not be afforded the same once-a-year-testing option.

Cox also had questions about recruiting problems in larger districts with multiple high schools, such as Fort Wayne. He noted that Fort Wayne Community Schools has open enrollment and students can choose the high school they want to attend.

Thompson said that the student would follow whatever rules their local district has for other student-athletes. He also noted he would work on the grading inequity."

so if hes so worried about playing by the rules, why set such a bad precident and example this past weekend at new castle? doesnt help his case.

I wish somebody would give Bobby Cox and annual test.

Question #1: Why do you enjoy insulting all of northwest Indiana by sending them to tiny Merrillville for the semi-state?

Feel free to add your own test questions.

I wish somebody would give Bobby Cox and annual test.

Question #1: Why do enjoy insulting all of northwest Indiana by sending them to tiny Merrillville for the semi-state?

Feel free to add your own test questions.

Question #2: Who do the rules apply to? Are there special exceptions?

I don't think the homeschooling bill would be bad for Indiana. Often it's not the choice of the child to be home schooled. So if they want to be in team sports I don't see why they shouldn't be able to.

I  do not feel that homeschooled students should become public school athletes.  Public school students have grade requirements to meet which may not be the same requirements that the homeschool students' scale is.  Their parents have made the choice for whatever reason to homeschool, so they should not be able to choose which public school activities they want to participate in. 

I see this as a way for student-athletes with poor grades to essentially drop out, get all A's from mom and dad, and still get to compete athletically. This doesn't help anyone, it doesn't save money, it's just another attack on public education by Mitch and the Superintendent of Private Education.

I  do not feel that homeschooled students should become public school athletes.  Public school students have grade requirements to meet which may not be the same requirements that the homeschool students' scale is.  Their parents have made the choice for whatever reason to homeschool, so they should not be able to choose which public school activities they want to participate in. 

I would challenge you to read reports of the average GPA's of homeschooled kids oppossed to public school. I hate to tell you that they are doing far better than public school kids.

Other States already have this law and seems to work well. I was in Florida and several kids where we lived did this and the rules of transfering applied to them. The yhad to play in the area they lived...and actually it was better regulated than what the IHSAA is presently doing.

I would challenge you to read reports of the average GPA's of homeschooled kids oppossed to public school. I hate to tell you that they are doing far better than public school kids.

Other States already have this law and seems to work well. I was in Florida and several kids where we lived did this and the rules of transfering applied to them. The yhad to play in the area they lived...and actually it was better regulated than what the IHSAA is presently doing.

Of course the GPA's were higher, a less biased indicator would be standardized test scores and eventual college graduation rates.

My opinion is the fact that these kids have been pulled because there is something about the public school system so why in the world would they want them to play sports with them.  As I said before its just another way for Mitch to put one over on public schools.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.