Home school athletes bill

decbell1

I'm not arguing the fact about education vs education, socialization skills or any of that.

My questions/concerns are #1) will they be held to the same academic testing and eligibility that their public counterparts are? 2) Schools get money off of enrollment numbers, will these students count towards enrollment figures or be ghost students? 3) What about classing, schools are classed based off enrollment, sometimes it's a matter of 2-3 students, will home school numbers count towards those numbers.

Before I answer these, I do want to point out that I have not read this specific bill, and therefore I do not know if I support it.  What I am arguing in favor of is the general principal of allowing homeschooled kids to compete in IHSAA sanctioned sports.

That said, I move on to the specific objections raised above.

1) They should be.  That's easy.  While I am generally opposed to compulsive standardized testing, I think I would be fine requiring a test for eligibility, so long as the standard is equally enforced in the public schools (which I suspect it would not be, given the high number of public high school graduates who can barely read and write).

2) It seems to me that some provision could be made to either allow some percentage increase in funding for athletic participation.  It would not be the same as if the child was enrolled, but set at some lower percentage. After all, as has been pointed out by others already, homeschoolers still have to pay taxes to support the public schools. The funding question seems relatively easy to solve.  Worst case scenario, require a small participation fee. 

3) For the purposes of classing, I don't think it would be terribly difficult to include the homeschooled athlete in the numbers for purpose of classing the school?s athletic teams.

Did I leave anything out?  Or perhaps create more questions? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.