Incoming Freshman for 2011-2012 Season

MOGILLIS

I'm telling you right now that I am holding my 4 year old grandson back right now....As his coach says....4 year olds have the attention span of a pencil..How do them little Ellis' and McGinley's get it so quick???...I am tired of this crap....At this rate he will be about 35 when he gets to High School....He should be ready to wrestle at Conseco by this time in his short career....He keeps tumbling and running around like he is having fun..  Good God I hope he doesn't become a cheerleader.......Laughing, crying and then asking Papaw if we can go to Taco Bell after practice....I keep telling him hell no....Not until you wrestle.....He is getting it though, he wrestles for :15 seconds and his dumb ass Papaw takes him to Taco Bell afterwards....Who is the smart one here??????

There is a little redhead from Avon that will be pretty good coming up next year along with Conner James from the Southside.....James is one of the most advanced technicians for his age that I have seen in a long while.....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from an age standpoint, you should be turning 18 sometime during the summer before your senior year, or during your senior year.....that puts you in the appropriate age group as 99% of the other kids.....my youngest son's birthday is in august so he is one the "older" kids in his class in relation to where his birthday is at.....now from a puberty standpoint, he is behind compared to some kids a year or two younger....you just don't know where they are going to fall from a development stage.....this is a very tender and volitile time for young boys.....alot of pressure to deal with from sports, girls, grades, that funny feeling of puberty, parental pressure, etc.....i think there are very good reasons in some cases to hold kids back....but that has to be decided by the parents and i think , by the young man also.....being held back will also bring some unneeded pressue from other kids as to why he was held back...alot to think about for sure.....hopefully all parents will think it out before making a decision, a decision that will effect the rest of the kids life in many ways....good luck to all.....

The things people do in this sport border on insanity.  Will winning a state title or two in wrestling lead to infinite wealth and wisdom in the future?  If this were a sport where the kid could make millions professionally I could at least see the parent's reasoning, but this is wrestling.  Parents would be better off getting their kids a high level academic instructor than holding a kid back for this sport.

With all the transferring and holding back, we are losing the best qualities this sport teaches. 

What is the rule regarding age limits?  Years ago, it was an athlete could not turn 20 years old prior to sectionals.  Is the rule still the same?

On average, I am against holding kids back.  But I honestly can understand holding back an 85-90 lbs. kid who has not even went through puberty.  That seems like common sense because he would be so out of place in high school.

The things people do in this sport border on insanity.  Will winning a state title or two in wrestling lead to infinite wealth and wisdom in the future?  If this were a sport where the kid could make millions professionally I could at least see the parent's reasoning, but this is wrestling.  Parents would be better off getting their kids a high level academic instructor than holding a kid back for this sport.

With all the transferring and holding back, we are losing the best qualities this sport teaches. 

I agree with you regarding 99.8% of kids.  You are just dead on accurate.  However imop, there are a few exceptions for severely physically underdeveloped boys/girls.

Holding a kid back for athletic reasons and especially wrestling is not going to help a kid in the long run.  Do you really think winning a state title or two is going to help junior get a job when he's 30?  Invest in a good academic instructor and that will pay off more in the long run.

We held our youngest boy back from kindergarten not due to wrestling or any other sports hell one day he likes sports the net day he doesn't.  We held him back due to the fact he was small in stature and his social skills were terrible.  Instead of talking it out everything ended with a fight.  He has gotten a lot better in the last 3 years, but we sometimes fight the same battle .  He has 0 tolerance for bullies, its ironic and he searches them out to fight them.  We tell him to be friends with those kids and maybe that will in itself change their behavior.

It's tough to decide as  a parent what to do. 

As far as weight cutting to each his own.  I do not advocate it if your child is already on the small side for his age. 

Tommy Cash isn't going to just make it there next year. He will likely be on the podium.

there is a very good chance that you are correct......tommy is a step above everyone i have seen him wrestle.....he never seems to get in a bad position.....very much in control......and seemingly emotionless at that.....you never see him get rattled or overjoyed with a victory.....like his mind is always as much in control as his body is......he will be a name we hear alot in the next 4 years.....

As expected opinions very greatly on this subject. Just for fun I asked both mine if they consider staying back. Both said no way. I think that might be the single biggest factor for me. Is the kid okay with it? They are the ones who will be left to deal with the social aspect of being "a hold back". The enigma will always be there. If they understand it and no rules are broken in the process. To each his/her own. I consider you guys good friends. I have no doubt the families will take the proper steps to ensure their kids safty and well being.

Good luck guys!!

On a similar vein?? How about 8th graders being allowed to petition the IHSSA to wrestle at the HS level, on and individual case by case basis?

1. Set a cut off date just after the state finals for paper work(petition) to be submitted.

2. Create a set of rules and standards to govern the process and make it fair to all.

3. The IHSSA reviews each case on it's own merit and approves or rejects the petition based on rules governing the process. (This would keep coaches from using 8th graders that are not prepared, to "fill out" their rosters).

If, in the opinion of the IHSSA the kid has the experience behind him and is prepared for the challenge(not undersized and academic standards are met),they are approved to wrestle.This would be a huge development advantage for our state. Min, Texas, Oklahoma and Iowa currently have this option.

What do ya think?  ;D

Is it true that Cody Phillips was a red-shirt? (held back or repeated 8th grade?)

I know that Jon Morrison, the OK ST starter for Coach John Smith was a red-shirt in 8th grade. There are many, many more examples...

The bottom line is...it's a family decision, each parent has to make decisions based upon their own situation.

RE: Incoming Freshman

I think Tommy Cash will be on the podium next year at 103lbs as a Freshman.

Holding a kid back for athletic reasons and especially wrestling is not going to help a kid in the long run.  Do you really think winning a state title or two is going to help junior get a job when he's 30?  Invest in a good academic instructor and that will pay off more in the long run.

Bingo. Exactly why the US has fallen so far in the world in terms of education, parents go out of their way for athletics but don't support their kids academically. Being a smart, hard working kid gets you more money for college too, which gets you out with less debt and helps you in many more ways than being able to beat younger kids when you were in high school.

I can't entirely tell if you're being sarcastic or just over the top...

The lack of education and motivation has definitely contributed to jobs moving overseas, why pay someone more here if you can get someone with a better education who will work cheaper in India and China.

I have a hard time telling people what is right for their kids but we all know some parents go overboard. I have heard that a 7th grader from IN is currently going to Apple Valley and training while the parents live in Indiana. A Mom ran on the mat after an official this weekend at New Castle? Why have we became so infactuated with our kids being the best and what are we teaching our kids when we act like this?

Y2 saying hire an academic counselor is right on. I have two kids that are scholarship athletes and they would have never gotten the money they did if not for good academics to go along with athletic talent. Very few kids are going to get an athletic scholarship, and one in wrestling is even less likely. People need to let their kids be kids and holding them back as late as the 8th grade for athletic purposes is going overboard(IMO).  I currently have a 3rd grader that is the youngest in his class and unless the school came to me and said it would be in his best interest to be held back I would never consider it.

Look at Mitch Sliga..a very young(15) Sophomore that is still competing at the highest level. Push them hard and give them all the chances you can afford but let them be well rounded kids!!!

There is still roughly 12 weeks of schooling left, and the ISTEP test.  It seems early to be discussing holding a child back for academic reasons with so much time left.  If the child already knows he/she will be held back, then what exactly is the point of the rest of the school year...academically speaking of course.  Why work hard and improve of it has already been stated that you can not do the work?

When I lived in Michigan and I guess where I lived in Michigan you were expected to have your child (especially boys)  do the K1- K2 kindergarten program.The thinking is 2 years of kindergarten gives kids the chance to "mature" a bit more physically and emotionally. This had nothing to do with athletics but of course there were advantages if your child was involved in athletics as they got older.I think it is a terrific idea for so many reasons.Then of course you don't run into this athletic redshirting in 8th grade and any attendant stigmas associated with it.The kids are all "redshirted" in kindergarten.Of course the school district has to be able to afford it but for all I know it may be a mandate throughout Michigan .Just giving a different perspective.

I have a hard time telling people what is right for their kids but we all know some parents go overboard. I have heard that a 7th grader from IN is currently going to Apple Valley and training while the parents live in Indiana. A Mom ran on the mat after an official this weekend at New Castle? Why have we became so infactuated with our kids being the best and what are we teaching our kids when we act like this?

Y2 saying hire an academic counselor is right on. I have two kids that are scholarship athletes and they would have never gotten the money they did if not for good academics to go along with athletic talent. Very few kids are going to get an athletic scholarship, and one in wrestling is even less likely. People need to let their kids be kids and holding them back as late as the 8th grade for athletic purposes is going overboard(IMO).  I currently have a 3rd grader that is the youngest in his class and unless the school came to me and said it would be in his best interest to be held back I would never consider it.

Look at Mitch Sliga..a very young(15) Sophomore that is still competing at the highest level. Push them hard and give them all the chances you can afford but let them be well rounded kids!!!

Do you understand the type of education a child can get at Apple Valley, wrestling is just a bonus.  It's no different then sending your kid to Culver Military Academy.

There is still roughly 12 weeks of schooling left, and the ISTEP test.  It seems early to be discussing holding a child back for academic reasons with so much time left.  If the child already knows he/she will be held back, then what exactly is the point of the rest of the school year...academically speaking of course.  Why work hard and improve of it has already been stated that you can not do the work?

In the case of the kids in question, academics aren't an issue they are all good students I know one for sure is an honor student.

Ok..so there are no schools in the Indianapolis area that match Apple Valley's Academics? Or maybe none with a great wrestling program. I hate to think of my senior leaving for college let alone a 7th grader going away.

Depends on where you fall in the public/private debate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.