Austin McCloskey

rebels4life

Kid, I hope you are doing fine this morning. What you did yesterday for my son will never be forgotten. You are first class. Most kids would have had him DQ. I know he would of never tried to hurt you, he felt terrible. It was one of those things where it got extremely scary. When I seen the way your body was in such a compromised position as you both were falling to the mat my, heart dropped.  When I seen movement in lower and upper body parts I was just so thankful you were ok.  Your parents have raised  you right, I hope nothing but the best for you. Good Luck, I will be cheering for you whenever I see you wrestle.

He is doing fine, just a little stiff and a little bummed. Austin would have continued if we would of let him. But as you could see he was in no condition to do so, but it is what it is, and we ( austin, me his father, and coach  loge) all know it was not intentional. im not saying it would of changed the outcome of the match at all, he just would of liked to have gotten to wrestle justin to measure what level we are at, but he's got 3 more yrs to hopefully make his mark on the sport. justin is a good kid, and we wish you the best of luck next week. we will be there watchin!!!

Hey kid...glad your doing good...hope u recover soon and get back in the room...wasnt able to watch your match cause we had our own issues to attend to, but we expect to see you VERY VERY soon on the mat.....take care of yourself...

The Borta's

Austin and family...I have known since the days at Team Champion with you. You were good people. What you did yesterday showed, you all are a class act. I have seen others in a similiar situation, where the coach or parent told the wrestler to stay down so they could get the DQ. Top notch in my book...

I am very glad you are OK...Good luck in all your future match`s.

TBD

awesome gesture.. sounds like a great kid and family.. i just have one question.. i have heard before that, though noble, it is in fact against the rules per the nfhs' rulebook to restart a match and immediately stop it just to avoid the dq situation.  can any referees confirm/deny/point me to the section in the rulebook.. i personally am glad that this situation played out like it did, but by the letter of the law, i believe that it could have come out much differently.

They didn't restart the match.  Once Recovery Time is used, the wrestler can continue, stop, or go into injury time.  MCCloskey did the latter, this made ita default instead of the dq.

Rule 8-2-2

If a contestant is injured as a result of an illegal hold/maneuver, unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike conduct (during the match) to the extent the contestant is unable to continue following a maximum of two minutes recovery time, shall be awarded the match by default. In case of an intentional attempt to injure an opponent, the offender shall be disqualified. Recovery time for injury because of an illegal hold/maneuver is not deducted from the injured wrestler's injury-time allowance and coaching is allowed. A contestant cannot take injury time immediately following recovery time.

Rule 6-4-4

Any coach of the contestant or the contestant has the prerogative to default a match to the opponent at any time prior to the conclusion of wrestling by informing the referee.

Thank you for clearing up the legality of what we did Saturday.

Austin is a great kid, and it has been a pleasure to coach him this year.  He was at school today and is sore but doing fine.  This was a scary situation, as he landed directly on his head.  It was obvious to us (Austin, his father, and myself) that what happened was not intentional.  We were excited to wrestle Justin, and had been preparing for it very hard.  We knew it would be a good test for where we were competitively.  It was tough to go down that way, especially for a kid as tough and competitive as Austin.  However, we in no way would want to take an opportunity away from a wrestler because of an accident.  Therefore, the decision was made to default the match.

I've been asked a lot about this in the last couple days, and it's given me time to think through it thoroughly.  Questions ranged from, "Why did you make that decision?" to "What would you have done had it happened in the ticket round?"  There are no simple answers to these questions.  

I wasn't going to post about this, as I didn't think anything needed to be said about it further.  However, after reading some comments regarding other situations and matches Saturday at New Castle, I felt it necessary.  Wrestling, at least in my mind, carries a certain nobility.  For those of us who have had the opportunity to compete with and against some of the greats, we understand this.  For a wrestler, a true wrestler, there is a swagger, an understated confidence that exudes from them on the mat.  You can see it when you look in their eyes.  They are confident in their abilities, and they are confident in their ability to win or lose.

This is why we have young men wrestle.  We want them to learn that quiet confidence that will aide them in life.  We want them to develop that ability to know that they have prepared wholeheartedly and left nothing on the mat.  That's why Cody Phillips could get up and calmly walk away Saturday.  That why Mason Todd could act with class in his win.  That's why we could choose to default.  That's why we all value wrestling.

Wrestling can teach a lot of things.  We preach discipline, toughness, intensity, focus, and fortitude.  My favorite lessons in wrestling though, those come from the people:  brotherhood, commitment, and most importantly, integrity.  Most coaches understand that.  Most parents want that.  Most wrestlers learn that.

In closing, I wish the best of luck to all the wrestlers this weekend at Conseco, including and especially Justin Kieffer.  I know we'll all be there rooting for our favorites.  I also know there will be controversial calls, unsportsmanlike actions, and ignorant comments.  Let us keep in mind why we are there in the first place.  There truly isn't a better sporting event in Indiana.

Thank you for clearing up the legality of what we did Saturday.

Austin is a great kid, and it has been a pleasure to coach him this year.  He was at school today and is sore but doing fine.  This was a scary situation, as the landed directly on his head.  It was obvious to us (Austin, his father, and myself) that what happened was not intentional.  We were excited to wrestle Justin, and had been preparing for it very hard.  We knew it would be a good test for where we were competitively.  It was tough to go down that way, especially for a kid as tough and competitive as Austin.  However, we in no way would want to take an opportunity away from a wrestler because of an accident.  Therefore, the decision was made to default the match.

I've been asked a lot about this in the last couple days, and it's given me time to think through it thoroughly.  Questions ranged from, "Why did you make that decision?" to "What would you have done had it happened in the ticket round?"  There are no simple answers to these questions.  

I wasn't going to post about this, as I didn't think anything needed to be said about it further.  However, after reading some comments regarding other situations and matches Saturday at New Castle, I felt it necessary.  Wrestling, at least in my mind, carries a certain nobility.  For those of us who have had the opportunity to compete with and against some of the greats, we understand this.  For a wrestler, a true wrestler, there is a swagger, an understated confidence that exudes from them on the mat.  You can see it when you look in their eyes.  They are confident in their abilities, and they are confident in their ability to win or lose.

This is why we have young men wrestle.  We want them to learn that quiet confidence that will aide them in life.  We want them to develop that ability to know that they have prepared wholeheartedly and left nothing on the mat.  That's why Cody Phillips could get up and calmly walk away Saturday.  That why Mason Todd could act with class in his win.  That's why we could choose to default.  That's why we all value wrestling.

Wrestling can teach a lot of things.  We preach discipline, toughness, intensity, focus, and fortitude.  My favorite lessons in wrestling though, those come from the people:  brotherhood, commitment, and most importantly, integrity.  Most coaches understand that.  Most parents want that.  Most wrestlers learn that.

In closing, I wish the best of luck to all the wrestlers this weekend at Conseco, including and especially Justin Kieffer.  I know we'll all be there rooting for our favorites.  I also know there will be controversial calls, unsportsmanlike actions, and ignorant comments.  Let us keep in mind why we are there in the first place.  There truly isn't a better sporting event in Indiana.

I enjoy reading the funny and witty comments, but THIS is hands down...The Post of the Year!  It should be anyway.

To BizzyCoach

Great post!! My wife and I both had tears in our eyes as I read the posting aloud.We truly appreciate what you did for our grandson Justin on Sat.It was a class act indeed!!

I look forward to following Austin next year and thru out his wrestling career.

I hope we can meet you some day!

Rule 8-2-2

If a contestant is injured as a result of an illegal hold/maneuver, unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike conduct (during the match) to the extent the contestant is unable to continue following a maximum of two minutes recovery time, shall be awarded the match by default. In case of an intentional attempt to injure an opponent, the offender shall be disqualified. Recovery time for injury because of an illegal hold/maneuver is not deducted from the injured wrestler's injury-time allowance and coaching is allowed. A contestant cannot take injury time immediately following recovery time.

Rule 6-4-4

Any coach of the contestant or the contestant has the prerogative to default a match to the opponent at any time prior to the conclusion of wrestling by informing the referee.

So is it true that this gesture, though noble, should not have been allowed to take place if the referees in charge had known what they were doing?

So is it true that this gesture, though noble, should not have been allowed to take place if the referees in charge had known what they were doing?

What was done is both noble and within the rules, see...

Rule 6-4-4 Situation A "2010-2011 NFHS Wrestling Case/Manual" Page 34

DEFAULT A MATCH

*6-4-4 Situation A: During a tournament, Wrestler A is in the neutral position and trailing 14-1. During a takedown attempt, Wrestler B returns A to the mat and is called for an illegal slam. Prior to the expiration of recovery time, Wrestler A realizes he/she will not be able to continue after his two minutes of recovery time and wishes to default the match to Wrestler B and so indicates to the referee.

Ruling: Wrestler B is declared the winner by default as Wrestler A has the prerogative to default a match to the opponent at any time prior to  the conclusion of wrestling by informing the referee. (10-2-3, 4, 5)

Minus the score, this is precisely what happened in this situation!

What was done is both noble and within the rules, see...

Rule 6-4-4 Situation A "2010-2011 NFHS Wrestling Case/Manual" Page 34

DEFAULT A MATCH

*6-4-4 Situation A: During a tournament, Wrestler A is in the neutral position and trailing 14-1. During a takedown attempt, Wrestler B returns A to the mat and is called for an illegal slam. Prior to the expiration of recovery time, Wrestler A realizes he/she will not be able to continue after his two minutes of recovery time and wishes to default the match to Wrestler B and so indicates to the referee.

Ruling: Wrestler B is declared the winner by default as Wrestler A has the prerogative to default a match to the opponent at any time prior to  the conclusion of wrestling by informing the referee. (10-2-3, 4, 5)

Minus the score, this is precisely what happened in this situation!

Sorry RG.  From your posts it really looks like you want this manuver to be illegal but it apparently isn't based on the rules.  Twice now somebody has refernced the rules and pointed out that nothing wrong happened but that hasn't satisfied you.  Keep questioning, I'm sure one of your minions will come to your side and point out how illegal this is.

Well said coach! In my mind this is truly the greatest high school sport. However for 99% of these kids it will only be around for them to participate in during H.S. & college. After that its real life. Keep teaching those life lessons. Its been a pleasure coaching with you and I know my son benefitted from it also.

Sorry RG.  From your posts it really looks like you want this manuver to be illegal but it apparently isn't based on the rules.  Twice now somebody has refernced the rules and pointed out that nothing wrong happened but that hasn't satisfied you.  Keep questioning, I'm sure one of your minions will come to your side and point out how illegal this is.

In RG's defense and being that I am the one that keeps citing the rules, his interpretation would have been correct prior the rule change that occurred just a few years ago. The rule change, I believe, occurred after he graduated or near the end of his high school career. Therefore, I wouldn't be to critical of him and this is an example of how easily misinterpretations can occurr and the importance of staying updated with rules. Minor and sometimes major changes take place from year to year it is easy to get left behind.

I, by no means, "want this maneuver to be illegal".. I've stated multiple times that I think the correct outcome came from this situation and I've noted how noble a gesture this is.  I simply thought that one could not default a match in order to escape disqualification of an opponent.  From how I read the rules, McCloskey or his coach would have had to given his decision to default the match prior to the expiration of recovery time, and not once recovery time had run out.. Is this accurate?  And is this how it happened?

I, by no means, "want this maneuver to be illegal".. I've stated multiple times that I think the correct outcome came from this situation and I've noted how noble a gesture this is.  I simply thought that one could not default a match in order to escape disqualification of an opponent.  From how I read the rules, McCloskey or his coach would have had to given his decision to default the match prior to the expiration of recovery time, and not once recovery time had run out.. Is this accurate?  And is this how it happened?

RG, I know someone in an earlier post, made it sound like recovery time had expired. However, I was casually watching the match, and remember being surprised at how quickly Austin was helped off of the mat and Justin's hand raised. I never looked at the clock, but I don't think more than 30 seconds could have gone by.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.