Best wrestler never to get to State...

NavyGonzo

Now that the season has ended, its time for this discussion again simply because I believe we have a new front-runner for the title of "Best wrestler never to get to State"

My pick would have to be:   

Curtis Smith from Jeffersonville High School @ 112

Won 4 regional titles but never could quite get past the ticket round. Great job on a great career! Good luck in what ever it is you are going to do beyond High School. I'm sure all of the Jeffersonville coaching staff was proud to have you around the last four years!!!

Does anyone else have any nominations?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrestled with Anoine Neal in college.  What an athlete!   He wrestled at Purdue for a year and then made the football team and went to four bowl games. 

He was a freestyle/greco machine.

He lived next to me in the dorms our freshman year.  He cracked everyone in the Quad up.  He was quiet at first, but once you got to know him he was hilarious.

I remember being on Team Indiana trips with Antoine back when we were schoolboys.  He was a lot of fun and an outstanding athlete.

Another name to throw (pun intended) out there would be Jade McCammon from Sullivan.  He placed at Fargo multiple times, and was an amazing Greco wrestler.

Justin Cooper from Whiteland

Sophomore year got beat beat by Hasseman in the regional finals and drew Maurer in the round to go.  He beat the 3rd place finisher at state that season. Hasseman and Maurer got 1st and 2nd

Junior year lost to Orrin Klienheinz from Columbus North 6-5 in the round to go.  Orrin went to to win state and beat his finals opponent 11-5

Senior year 32-0 ranked #2 and got DQ'd the match before sectionals and couldn't wrestle.  Beat many state place winners from that year including Barnhizer who placed 3rd.

He was also a Fargo All American

Jade McCammon lost 4x in the ticket round, his losses were to Matt Coughlin, Joel Jeffries, Joe Lehman, Craig Macke

Joe Arthur comes to mind although i dont know who his losses were to, last year he was in a stacked semistae where all four eville hwts placed

Adam Thompson from Franklin county graduated in 03 I dunno what his records was his frosh and soph year but he was undefeated as a jr and sr going into the ticket round and lost both times to James from pike. I think he was a regional champ as a soph though but not sure.

Josh Lovejoy of FW Luers has to be in the discussion.  As a freshman, he lost a ticket round match (119) to a kid who placed 5th in the state that year, 18-13.  As a sophomore, he beat Bobby Howard of Lowell, who would win state the following year.  Josh was upset the first round of regionals by a Carroll wrestler who would go on to be a state qualifier that season.  He was a regional champ the next two years, only to lose in the ticket round both times.  His junior year he beat Brownlee of Snider, who would place 3rd at state the following year, during the season.  His senior year he lost to a wrestler he had beaten a month earlier.  Not many non-state qualifiers have beaten as many placers as Josh did.

Jeremy Hill from Jimtown

At the Hill household we call it the semi-state jinx.  Jeremy is 0 for 6 in the semi-states. 3 loses in football and didn't get out of Fort Wayne 3 times. Twice lost in the ticket round, and last year broke his collar bone in the first round. Wrestled for about a minute and a half with the broken collar bone before he just couldn't go anymore.  Brother Matt, 2 semi-state loses in football and 1 in wrestling. So Matt is 0-3 at semi-states.  I'm hoping Matt can brake the jinx next year.

Buddy Riggs from Gibson Southern - 143 career wins - only 1 behind DJ Radnovich for the most ever at GS.  He was quite a character also - loved the cowboy boots!

I think he won ISWA folkstyle state his Senior year?

Now there is a name I haven't heard in a while...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.