Former Wrestler turned MARINE killed in Afganistan

navy80

Greg Stultz from Northview High school wrestled was a senior in 2006.  Prayers to his family, heres the story from Tribstar.com

The body of a Clay County Marine killed last week in Afghanistan arrived back in the United States Sunday.

Cpl. Gregory Stultz, 22, of Brazil was one of three Indiana fallen Marines to arrive over the weekend from Afghanistan.

The military didn?t immediately release details on the deaths of Stultz and 24-year-old Lance Cpl. Joshua Birchfield of LaPorte. Their bodies arrived Sunday at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

Friends say Birchfield attended Westville and South Central high schools in northwestern Indiana before graduating in 2004. Stultz was a wrestler at Northview High School, advancing to the regionals as a senior in 2006.

A third Indiana Marine ? 27-year-old Sgt. Jeremy R. McQueary of Columbus ? was killed during combat in Afghanistan on Thursday. His body arrived at Dover on Saturday.

Thanks to all those who have remembered Greg.  He came to wrestling as a Sophomore, my first year as Northview's head coach.  He was "thrown" into the varsity line-up and did the best he could.  He never backed down from anyone even when he knew he didn't have the experience to match his opponent.  I remember that first year in Greco watching him get thrown for Five and thinking he would hate the sport now....but he didn't he came back for more and eventually was a thrower himself.....He worked really hard to learn the sport and spent a ton of weekends wrestling.  Myself as well as many others spent those weekends with him.  He always helped coached the little kids in the club and would sit in corners when needed or help officiate or run tables.  (the motivation of the hospitality room was always on his mind)  He was never bashful when we went to other schools and always made friends with opponents and wrestlers from other schools.  By the time he was a senior he was a good wrestler winning the prestigious Mooresville Holiday classic.....that was the highlight of his career for me.  But more important than that, I got to see him grow up to be a fine young man.  Words can't express how I feel for his family.... 

Here is the article from the local paper:

Brazil Marine dies in Afghanistan

Sunday, February 21, 2010

By JASON MOON, Managing Editor

Marine Cpl. Gregory Scott Stultz was killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan Feb. 19, 2010. 

Clay County is mourning the loss of one of its own.

On Friday, Marine Cpl. Gregory Scott Stultz was killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan. He was 22-years-old.

Cpl. Stultz is the first serviceman from Clay County to die in the War on Terror and the first soldier from Clay County to die during combat in more than 30 years.

According to Brazil Concert Band Director Matt Huber and American Legion Post 2 member Wayne Parkins, the last county soldier to die in combat was Gary Boyce, who died Jan. 1, 1973, during the Vietnam War.

In addition, former Brazil Times' Editor Jim Dressler told The Times former Air Force pilot David Eberly was shot down during the Gulf War in Iraq and was captured before eventually being released.

According to information from www.facebook.com, where family members set up a page honoring Cpl. Stultz, he was shot in the abdomen area. Cpl. Stultz died while being airlifted to a nearby hospital.

Family members flew to Dover, Del., Saturday, as his body was flown back to the states.

According to the page set up on facebook, Cpl. Stultz was born June 7, 1987.

While attending Northview High School, Cpl. Stultz wrestled for the Knights. He advanced to the regional as a senior in 2006.

NHS wrestling coach Dan Mikesell said he remembered Cpl. Stultz as a grappler who made tremendous improvements throughout his career, both in wrestling and in life.

"He got on the straight and narrow because of wrestling," Mikesell said. "It's something that kept him focused."

Mikesell said when he learned the news of Cpl. Stultz' death, he was "pretty shook up."

"He was on one of my first teams," Mikesell said. "It was pretty tough for me. I was pretty close to Greg."

Mikesell said while he wrestled for the Knights, Cpl. Stultz also enjoyed working with younger grapplers in the Wabash Valley Wrestling Club.

"He always helped the kids," Mikesell said. "He liked helping with the kids."

Mikesell said Cpl. Stultz recently attended a NHS wrestling practice and the two had a chance to catch up and reminisce.

"I told him how proud I was of him," Mikesell said, adding Cpl. Stultz said he missed wrestling, but his training helped him through boot camp.

Former NHS Principal Jim Church told The Times he remembered having many discussions with Cpl. Stultz while he was a student at Northview.

"He was a neat kid," Church said. "We got pretty tight during the years he was there. I really, really liked Greg. He and I clicked. I really liked him a lot.

"If I was going to ever recruit what I feel like what would be the perfect Marine, Greg would fit that kind of a mold. Hard-nosed, yet strong character; someone you can really count on."

Cpl. Gregory Stultz

Cpl. Stultz' guidance counselor while at Northview was Scott McDonald.

On Sunday, McDonald told The Times he had talked with Cpl. Stultz approximately three or four months ago.

"He was out at the school and I talked to him for a bit," McDonald said. "He looked great. He was pretty much the same kid, except for a lot of, 'yes sirs' and, 'no sirs.'

McDonald said he was out of the area this weekend when he received a phone call learning about Cpl. Stultz' death.

"My first thought was how proud he was that he was in the military," McDonald said. "He was so excited about how he was doing and being able to defend his country.

"He was doing great things and, unfortunately, something like this has happened. He was a great kid with a great heart. It's just tragic."

Funeral arrangements are being handled by French Funeral Home. A time and date for a funeral has not been set.

Greg was a great young man...he had that unique ability to leave a lasting positive impression on all those with who he came in contact with...Greg wrestled for a conference rival(Northview) of ours and then spent a season as a volunteer asst. for us(Sullivan)....Our kids and staff truly enjoyed the time we got to spend with him....as a competitor he was fierce and as a person he was a class act....To his family I send our condolences and prayers and to Greg I hope he knows just how much we appreciate the life he lived and the sacrifices he made....

Skip Walker-Sullivan Wrestling

My prayers today will definitely include the family of a fallen hero. 

Much gratitude and respect to those men and women serving our country.  You have not been forgotten.  Many of us still believe in your efforts to protect this country. 

Guest Super Nova

Greg,

You will be missed buddy!!  Always enjoyed the RTC's and seeing you and Dustin messing around all the time. 

All our prayers go out to his family and the Northview wrestling communtiy...

Forever your friends..

Coach Roy Bruce and Dustin Bruce

May his family and friends gather together in strength during these trying times.

As a person with a younger brother in active duty, Marine, this is something I dread.  My brother goes back to Afghanistan next month. 

I would like to thank Greg Stultz, and everyone in the military, for what they do day in and day out.  He paid the ultimate sacrifice for his country. 

Much love and respect to these Heros.  We would not be able to enjoy our freedoms without thier service.  My prayers go out to all the families who have lost a loved one in service of our country. The sacrifices they make are unequaled.  Please remember that they will never be forgotten by a grateful public!!! God bless the fallen. God bless the families. God bless America.

I did not know Greg and I wish that I did. I will pray for Greg and his loved ones.  I pray that you all will pull through this and carry on.  Greg did his thing for a reason only a few of us will ever know why.  I am sure that he fought for God,  Family and Country....What a Noble thing to do....I know that he was Brave and HE IS ONE OF OUR COUNTRY'S HEROS...

GOD WILL BLESS HIM AND GOD BLESS HIS FAMILY.......

CARRY ON SOLDIER.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.