Word from the IHSAA on Randolph County Wrestlers

Y2CJ41

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Media/MediaReleases/IHSAANewsRelease2810/tabid/772/Default.aspx

RANDOLPH COUNTY WRESTLERS OFFERED ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE

The IHSAA has announced that due to the severe road conditions that prohibited some Randolph County wrestlers from attending the Jay County individual wrestling regional on Saturday, those student athletes will be afforded another opportunity to advance in the IHSAA individual wrestling tournament series.  ?While we continue to support the decision to contest the Jay County regional on Saturday, it seems contrary to our purpose to exclude qualified participants through no fault of their own?, commented Assistant Commissioner Bobby Cox.  ?Extreme conditions sometimes require extreme measures and while I?m not 100% comfortable with this solution, it appears to be the best option for those student athletes in Randolph County and in the best interest of the tournament series.?

The Woodlan individual wrestling semi state will be modified to include ?pigtail? matches prior to the round of 16.  Those wrestlers that qualified to participate in the Jay County regional from the Delta and Jay County sectionals, but were unable to attend, will now be paired against semi state qualifiers from the Jay County individual regional.  The pigtail matches have been set and are listed below:

103              Gavin Cox, Winchester vs. Jacob Girod, Bellmont

103              Trevor Phenis, Randolph Southern vs. Benjamin Fiechter, Southern Wells

119              Angel Rascon, Winchester vs. Phillip Gerber, Bluffton

140              Kevin Dines, Winchester vs. T.J. Burnfield, South Adams

145              Zach Boyd, Winchester vs. Kyle King, Bluffton

152              Jordan Simmons, Winchester vs. Caleb Smith, Yorktown

160              Dylan Holcomb, Winchester vs. Trent Fuller, Blackford

171              Zach Anguiano, Union City vs. Anthony Stebing, Bellmont

171              Taylor Mock, Winchester vs. Ben Pfister, Bluffton

171              Steve Phillips, Randolph Southern vs. Nick Taylor, South Adams

189              Steven Thomas, Monroe Central vs. Kyle Garringer, Jay County

215              Andrew Chalfant, Winchester vs. Matt James, Jay County

215              Taylor Morris, Monroe Central vs. Andrew Bultemeier, Bellmont

285              Justin Hersberger, Winchester vs. Elijah Justice, Blackford

The Woodlan individual wrestling semi state will be held at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne on Saturday, February 13, 2010 beginning at 9:00 a.m.

Bobby Cox

Assistant Commissioner

Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.

I am very happy for this turn of events. I want to thank Mr. Cox and the coaches association for this.

The one question I would have is about the 112 pounder from Union City. Is he out because of not making weight after being told he could not wrestle? Jsut curious in light of everything else I would hope he could have his shot as well.

I don't like Chalfant's draw at 215. He gets Matt James 1st round and if he wins he gets Green... Chalfant pretty much handled Neff at sectional and because they couldn't show up, he gets a bad draw.

I'm still glad they did this, but Chalfant had a good chance of coming in the #1 from Jay County.

I don't like Chalfant's draw at 215. He gets Matt James 1st round and if he wins he gets Green... Chalfant pretty much handled Neff at sectional and because they couldn't show up, he gets a bad draw.

I'm still glad they did this, but Chalfant had a good chance of coming in the #1 from Jay County.

Or we can go with option number two and him not wrestle at all.

It's tough, because you have to put him against the weaker of the two qualifiers from the regional--which draws him in against a stronger semi-state opponent if he wins.

Biberstine handled Neff earlier in the season also, but Neff showed up ready to wrestle that day and earned his Regional Championship. With that being said  I am glad to see Chalfant get the chance to wrestle this week.

Wow! I did not expect such a quick resolution at the beginning of the week--with such a positive result, considering all the circumstances.  You have to give credit where credit is due: you got this one right, IHSAA.

Everything looks great except for the fact that they aren't letting Connor Wyatt wrestle.

That's a shame. I do not see how his situation is any different than the others. I guarantee you he was under weight when more than half the kids weighed in before weigh-ins were supposed to start.

Other than that, I can't complain.

what a great decision.  although the pigtails matches aren't the greatest draws, the opportunity to compete was giving back to these young men.

hats go off to the friends and families of randolph county wrestling.  i'm guessing some people helped sway mr. cox with his decision based on his statement.

Assistant Commissioner Bobby Cox.  ?Extreme conditions sometimes require extreme measures and while I?m not 100% comfortable with this solution, it appears to be the best option for those student athletes in Randolph County and in the best interest of the tournament series.?

what a great decision.  although the pigtails matches aren't the greatest draws, the opportunity to compete was giving back to these young men.

hats go off to the friends and families of randolph county wrestling.  i'm guessing some people helped sway mr. cox with his descion based on his statement.

Assistant Commissioner Bobby Cox.  Extreme conditions sometimes require extreme measures and while Im not 100% comfortable with this solution, it appears to be the best option for those student athletes in Randolph County and in the best interest of the tournament series.

Agreed!  wahoo for you!

Everything looks great except for the fact that they aren't letting Connor Wyatt wrestle.

That's a shame. I do not see how his situation is any different than the others. I guarantee you he was under weight when more than half the kids weighed in before weigh-ins were supposed to start.

Other than that, I can't complain.

Thank You decbell1 for the support and i beilive that when i got their i was lighter than every other kid in this weight class.. Yet as of now even if they would decide to let me wrestle in a pig tail i would be unable to make the weight i now weight 125..  i have thought this over and if i were granted the chance to wrestle i pig tail match i am not going to cut 11 lbs in 4 days.. the reason behind this is i feel this could be a danger to my health.

?Extreme conditions sometimes require extreme measures and while I?m not 100% comfortable with this solution, it appears to be the best option for those student athletes in Randolph County and in the best interest of the tournament series.?

Bobby Cox

Assistant Commissioner

Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.

I wonder if he's 86% satisfied with this solution.  ::)

Thanks to all who made this happen, BUT why not wrestle their regional first round opponent? They should have qualified! I thought three schools missed the Jay County regional, from the matchup it looks like four????

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.