Team State...

mykidgrapples

The state draw is definitely horrible. I know other elite wrestling state such as New Jersey seed their team state tourney. I think this would be a better way to distribute the best teams through the whole bracket. This years bracket is loaded on one side with Perry, Cathedral, Mish, and CP. Yorktown may be a tough team, but it seems that their way to the finals is paved for them cause of the draw.

The state draw is definitely horrible. I know other elite wrestling state such as New Jersey seed their team state tourney. I think this would be a better way to distribute the best teams through the whole bracket. This years bracket is loaded on one side with Perry, Cathedral, Mish, and CP. Yorktown may be a tough team, but it seems that their way to the finals is paved for them cause of the draw.

Every year someone has to whine about the draw.  The team that is meant to win will win. Back in 2002 and 2003, Bellmont was clearly probably the second best team in the state behind Mater Dei.  But both years they met in the Semi-Finals round.  Really don't remember any of the Bellmont wrestlers or coaches whining about the draw. They took their Final Four medals and went home.

In 2002, Bellmont and Perry Meridian would have been a good match. Saying Bellmont was clearly probably the 2nd best team in the state is a reach.  Perry Meridian has also had a couple of years that could have been better losing close 1st round matches to eventual champs Mater Dei in 2006 and Mishawaka in 2008.           

In 2002, Bellmont and Perry Meridian would have been a good match. Saying Bellmont was clearly probably the 2nd best team in the state is a reach.  Perry Meridian has also had a couple of years that could have been better losing close 1st round matches to eventual champs Mater Dei in 2006 and Mishawaka in 2008.           

Everyone has their bad draws, but I bet Perry Meridian didn't make excuses or whine about the draw. They still had very successful seasons, but in the end the State Champ won.

I believe that the IHSAA has stated that the whole point of Team State is to declare a champion, nothing more.  With that goal, there is no reason to seed the tournament.  That being the case, it is really hard to declare a true runner up.  I would prefer it to be seeded and have a 3rd and 4th place match, but I can see how the IHSAA might say that is asking too much.  Plus, you would have a hard time seeding the tournament.  Take this year for example, who would be the #2 seed?  There are at least three teams that have a good argument for it.  The way it is right now isn't perfect, but it avoids a lot of problems.   

I love that we are still arguing about who was better in 2002, Bellmont or Perry Meridian, I feel like every year I get into an argument with someone about this, and it was 10 years ago.

This just shows you how much fun the state tournament is and the excitement that it creates.

Complaining about the draw truly is a fruitless endeavor. It will not change anything and will only frustrate the complainer. Perry Meridian has benefitted from good draws (2004 with Portage, Mater Dei and Lawrence North in the opposite bracket), but has had its share of bad luck as well. I will say this: in our 8 previous trips to team state we were beaten by the state champion 7 times. In 2000, 2003 and 2006 we lost to eventual champ Mater Dei in the first round. In 2008 we lost to eventual champ Mishawaka in the 1st round. In 2002, 2004 and 2009 we lost in the championship match (to Mater Dei, LN and Crown Point). I definitely think we were of championship timbre in 2006 and 2008 losing very close matches. In 2000 and 2003 I think we could have placed. And then there's 2007...I don't want to talk about it.

This is a one-horse race, Gents. The draw shouldn't mean much this year unless Mishawaka has a mental lapse like they did last year losing at least 2 of their strong weights to injury or suspension. I see them winning it going away. We will all give them hell, but I would handicap them at -12.5 in all matches. I think the better question is: Who matches up best with Mishawaka?

This is a one-horse race, Gents. The draw shouldn't mean much this year unless Mishawaka has a mental lapse like they did last year losing at least 2 of their strong weights to injury or suspension. I see them winning it going away. We will all give them hell, but I would handicap them at -12.5 in all matches. I think the better question is: Who matches up best with Mishawaka?

Yorktown has an outside shot at taking 7 matches against Mishawaka, so I would say that they probably would match up best with them.  However, I could see them losing all of the swing matches, and only winning 3 matches against Mishawaka.

Complaining about the draw truly is a fruitless endeavor. It will not change anything and will only frustrate the complainer. Perry Meridian has benefitted from good draws (2004 with Portage, Mater Dei and Lawrence North in the opposite bracket), but has had its share of bad luck as well. I will say this: in our 8 previous trips to team state we were beaten by the state champion 7 times. In 2000, 2003 and 2006 we lost to eventual champ Mater Dei in the first round. In 2008 we lost to eventual champ Mishawaka in the 1st round. In 2002, 2004 and 2009 we lost in the championship match (to Mater Dei, LN and Crown Point). I definitely think we were of championship timbre in 2006 and 2008 losing very close matches. In 2000 and 2003 I think we could have placed. And then there's 2007...I don't want to talk about it.

yeh...this problem wont every go away....still have that sour feeling in my stomach from beating Mater Dei then losing to Lawrence North in another nail biter......just sucks not having a really good final match....

Yorktown has an outside shot at taking 7 matches against Mishawaka, so I would say that they probably would match up best with them.  However, I could see them losing all of the swing matches, and only winning 3 matches against Mishawaka.

No team in the state will take 7 matches against Mishawaka . I could see 5 , but not 7.

I believe that the IHSAA has stated that the whole point of Team State is to declare a champion, nothing more.  With that goal, there is no reason to seed the tournament.  That being the case, it is really hard to declare a true runner up.  I would prefer it to be seeded and have a 3rd and 4th place match, but I can see how the IHSAA might say that is asking too much.  Plus, you would have a hard time seeding the tournament.  Take this year for example, who would be the #2 seed?  There are at least three teams that have a good argument for it.  The way it is right now isn't perfect, but it avoids a lot of problems.   

I believe I made this point last year under the "Lucky Duck" Post. Point is some of us like to use the Runner Up title for boasting and strapping on a blue ring. There is a great deal of hypocricy here. We all have a very good idea of who is the second through 20th best team in the state is and that is how seeding should work. Why does the Indiana Mat have a team ranking system if it doe not really mean anything. We just keep the system of "chance" in play year after year. It is the same with individual state. Who will get screwed this year? Who will get lucky? The only reason teams accept the RunneUp award is because they never get it when they are suppose to. Example well made Mr. Thornton 2006 and 2008. If those years had been seeded Perry might have even won state. Weight starting spot and momentum could have been on your side. The excuse that this could not be seeded is a load of political crap.

I believe I made this point last year under the "Lucky Duck" Post. Point is some of us like to use the Runner Up title for boasting and strapping on a blue ring. There is a great deal of hypocricy here. We all have a very good idea of who is the second through 20th best team in the state is and that is how seeding should work. Why does the Indiana Mat have a team ranking system if it doe not really mean anything. We just keep the system of "chance" in play year after year. It is the same with individual state. Who will get screwed this year? Who will get lucky? The only reason teams accept the RunneUp award is because they never get it when they are suppose to. Example well made Mr. Thornton 2006 and 2008. If those years had been seeded Perry might have even won state. Weight starting spot and momentum could have been on your side. The excuse that this could not be seeded is a load of political crap.

runner-ups get pretty red rings

Bud if  and i hope  that Yorktown over looks Castle, they are in for a world of hurt(paved WOW)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.