IHSAA rule change rumor

TripleB

The rumor I've heard is that the IHSAA might impose a 25% varsity participation rule in order for a competitor to be eligible for the post season.

Anybody else hearing that?

I guess I am unclear on what a varsity participation rule is?

It did pass at the last meeting, here is the rule

14. Rule 50, Section 4 Page 82

In order for a student to qualify for participation in the IHSAA tournament series in an

individual sport (cross country, golf, tennis, swimming & diving, track & field and

wrestling) the student must have participated, during the regular season in a minimum of

25% of the authorized season contests in that sport. This requirement can be waived

provided the student can demonstrate that he did not participate in the minimum number

of season contests because of illness, injury, ineligibility or because of circumstances

beyond the control of the student, such as the cancellation of a contest(s) or the failure to

qualify for a spot on the roster.

Rule 101, Section 4 Page 98

In order for a student to qualify for participation in the IHSAA tournament series in an

individual sport (cross country, golf, gymnastics, tennis, swimming & diving, track & field

and wrestling) the student must have participated, during the regular season in a minimum

of 25% of the authorized season contests in that sport. This requirement can be waived

provided the student can demonstrate that she did not participate in the minimum number

of season contests because of illness, injury, ineligibility or because of circumstances

beyond the control of the student, such as the cancellation of a contest(s) or the failure to

qualify for a spot on the roster.

Basically it says they must participate in 25% of the allowable matches, UNLESS there is illness, injury, ineligibility or failure to qualify for a varsity spot. 

If that is the case, I will probably be forced to waiver in or pull out of the IHSAA altogether.  Way to stick it to small schools again.

Just a question, how does this stick it to the small schools?

Y2,

Garrett HS

Supt: Dennis Stockdale

Prin: Keeman Lobsiger

AD: Steve Rhoades

Head Wrestling Coach: Lucas Fielden

Tell me again how you are pulling out of the IHSAA?

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Is there a logical explanation as to why a wrestler should have 25% varsity participation?  If a jv wrestler beats out someone at the end of the season, what harm would it do if he wrestles in the postseason ?  I just don't get the IHSAA on this one.

From the text of the rule

This requirement can be waived provided the student can demonstrate that she did not participate in the minimum number of season contests because of illness, injury, ineligibility or because of circumstances beyond the control of the student, such as the cancellation of a contest(s) or the failure to qualify for a spot on the roster.

I am guessing that means earning the varsity spot.

A better question is who does this actually effect since the wavier covers almost every reasonable reason for being out?   Not sure why the rule was made if the wavier basically overrides most reason for being out.

The next question then would be when does the wavier need to be in by so that you can insert a wrestler into the event?

TripleB posted the rumor about the 25% varsity participation rule. This is not what the IHSAA rule (which is also posted in this thread) says. The IHSAA rule says they must participate in 25% of the  authorized season contests in that sport. The IHSAA does not care if it is varsity or JV or freshman matches. They count the JV and freshman meets against your total allowed for the season.

A better question is who does this actually effect since the wavier covers almost every reasonable reason for being out?   Not sure why the rule was made if the wavier basically overrides most reason for being out.

The next question then would be when does the wavier need to be in by so that you can insert a wrestler into the event?

One example of who this would cover would be if your team is in a sectional that has less than six teams with a 103lbs wrestler. If you did not have a 103 and you know that there are less than six teams in your  sectional with a 103 you could get a kid to come out for the team to just wrestle at the sectional. He could get beat two times but would get forfeits and place at the sectional and score at least six team  points.  At the Southridge sectional this year there were only two 103lbs wrestlers. A team could have a wrestler come out for the team two weeks before sectionals, get his/her ten practices in, and wrestler his/her first match ever at the sectional. That wrestler could have won by forfeit, lost two the 2nd seed, won by forfeit, and won by forfeit to place 3rd and score 20 team points.

Why was the rule made?  Probably so coaches can have another piece of paper to fill out and file away.

In the long run this does not affect anyone unless there is a situation in the "beyond the athletes control" area which they get to interpret.  It gives them the latitude to determine that it was not such a situation if they so choose.

Probably of greater significance was the clarification concerning "open mats (gyms)."  With the clarification, anyone who is running an "open mat" with wrestlers from schools other than those who feed into their High School is in violation of the Rules and the school/kids could be subject to penalty.

Coach Peck, Not quite sure how to read that rule.  Does that mean no RTC's?  Also,  would that mean no camps at schools as well if its open to all wrestlers?  Need clarification!!

This rule could hurt those small school teams who end up having to wrestle JV meets for competition.  This is theoretical in terms of hands-on affect at the moment, but it could hurt schools with the lowest numbers, as we well know that those who are doing well like to wrestle others who are.

If that is the case, I will probably be forced to waiver in or pull out of the IHSAA altogether.  Way to stick it to small schools again.

Just a question, how does this stick it to the small schools?

Coach Peck, Not quite sure how to read that rule.  Does that mean no RTC's?  Also,  would that mean no camps at schools as well if its open to all wrestlers?  Need clarification!!

RTCs during the RTC scheduled season are fine.  Camps are fine as long as they follow the IHSAA Rules where Camps are concerned.  As I understand it "Open rooms" are fine as long as they are not called RTCs or Open Room.  I guess it is just a matter of nomiclature at least until the IHSAA decides they want to come down on someone by interpreting what they are doing as a violation because most of what people are doing in terms of workouts with kids from multiple schools is illegal if the Ruels are interpreted as they read.

This is all just my opinion derived from all of the information I have.

is there a certain percentage of matches a wrestler must wrestle at a certain weight class throught the season in order to wrestle that weight come sectional?? for example if a wrestler wrestles 135 all year but the last couple matches he wrestles 130 and sectional time he wants to wrestle 130 cuz he feels he has a better shot at state, but the majority of his matches were at 135 throught the year not 130

is there a certain percentage of matches a wrestler must wrestle at a certain weight class throught the season in order to wrestle that weight come sectional?? for example if a wrestler wrestles 135 all year but the last couple matches he wrestles 130 and sectional time he wants to wrestle 130 cuz he feels he has a better shot at state, but the majority of his matches were at 135 throught the year not 130

NO

One example of who this would cover would be if your team is in a sectional that has less than six teams with a 103lbs wrestler. If you did not have a 103 and you know that there are less than six teams in your  sectional with a 103 you could get a kid to come out for the team to just wrestle at the sectional. He could get beat two times but would get forfeits and place at the sectional and score at least six team  points.  At the Southridge sectional this year there were only two 103lbs wrestlers. A team could have a wrestler come out for the team two weeks before sectionals, get his/her ten practices in, and wrestler his/her first match ever at the sectional. That wrestler could have won by forfeit, lost two the 2nd seed, won by forfeit, and won by forfeit to place 3rd and score 20 team points.

I thought there was already a rule that prevented this from happening. doesn't each wrestler have to make 6 weigh ins before sectionals? The only thing I can think of is if you had a freshman JV wrestle less than 25% of the matches cause they're not ready and forfiet that weight class more than 75% of the time. I don't think any thing like that would ever happen. one year my team had a guy wrestle jv at 171 all year with no one at 189 and wrestled him at 189 in sectionals because he became the 7th wrestler and we were hoping he would get atleast one win and get atleast 6th. I think the new rule would have affected that cause he could have wrestle 189 all year but didn't because he was a first year freshman that weighed 168ish and didn't think he was ready to wrestle 20 pounds up. He had no vasity matches until sectionals but he weighed in at at every meet. but other than that i don't see how this rule makes a difference.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.