Wrestling not important to IHSAA

Just spoke with a friend of mine who informed me that the IHSAA Basketball State Championship is postponed until next weekend because of the NCAA having games on Friday and Sunday in Indianapolis.  Why did they make us go to Evansville this year?  We could have waited a week while the NBA All Star Game was over to have our State Championship in Indianapolis.🥵

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

They had the girls basketball state finals the week after wrestling. 

The way I saw some kids eat at Evansville, they would have made more money in wrestling than they would have made in ticket sales for 4 games for girls.  Plus more tickets being sold to the northern as well. Their loss on knowing the wrestling community! 

12 hours ago, Mitchell1993 said:

The way I saw some kids eat at Evansville, they would have made more money in wrestling than they would have made in ticket sales for 4 games for girls.  Plus more tickets being sold to the northern as well. Their loss on knowing the wrestling community! 

Good luck with the backlash of moving the girls finals. 

On 3/21/2024 at 8:02 PM, julio said:

Just spoke with a friend of mine who informed me that the IHSAA Basketball State Championship is postponed until next weekend because of the NCAA having games on Friday and Sunday in Indianapolis.  Why did they make us go to Evansville this year?  We could have waited a week while the NBA All Star Game was over to have our State Championship in Indianapolis.🥵

THE BLASPHEMY!!!

So this year's state tournament was "fine" and you are no less a state champ, placer, or qualifier if you went to this one than if it was held at indy or somewhere else. 

However blindly acting like it was all sunshine and roses is silly. 

Evansville as a city did great. Most people found criticism with the IHSAA leadership. They could have moved the state tournament. Do it the same time as swimming. Ncaa does it all the time especially at the D2 level. It's a great atmosphere. . . It's also cheaper for most schools. 1bus, better hotel rates, AD only has to be in one place. Communities love it.

Ihsaa leadership wanted to be at all the state events.  Even came out and stated travel to and from the different sites on competition day was not something they were interested in doing.

I think some of you would feel differently if your loved one was competing in this tournament for possibly their first and/or only time.  Easy to blow off poor planing and tickets problems if you already have a "hookup" or you don't mind spending $102 on tickets. 

moving wrestling was the path of least resistance.  Wrestling is a second class citizen in Indiana. It probably won't change until we get a "wrestling guy"  on the ihsaa staff.

So was this year's state tournament perfect? ? ?  No... is it time to move on?

Definitely

Ps. Shout out to this 2024 class,

Guys like May, Leavell, Ison, and Myers only got one "normal" year

2021- no fans present

2022- split parade of champions

2023- Normal year****

2024 moved tournament 

5 hours ago, formercollegekid said:

So this year's state tournament was "fine" and you are no less a state champ, placer, or qualifier if you went to this one than if it was held at indy or somewhere else. 

Evansville as a city did great. Most people found criticism with the IHSAA leadership. They could have moved the state tournament. Do it the same time as swimming. Ncaa does it all the time especially at the D2 level. It's a great atmosphere. . . It's also cheaper for most schools. 1bus, better hotel rates, AD only has to be in one place. Communities love it.

Ihsaa leadership wanted to be at all the state events.  Even came out and stated travel to and from the different sites on competition day was not something they were interested in doing.

I think some of you would feel differently if your loved one was competing in this tournament for possibly their first and/or only time.  Easy to blow off poor planing and tickets problems if you already have a "hookup" or you don't mind spending $102 on tickets. 

moving wrestling was the path of least resistance.  Wrestling is a second class citizen in Indiana. It probably won't change until we get a "wrestling guy"  on the ihsaa staff.

Definitely

2021- no fans present

2023- Normal year****

2024 moved tournament 

If they move the weekend then you also have to try to get venues like the coliseum or Ford Center for a different date. On top of that moving the season to one less week would cause lots of other scheduling issues with 300+ schools. Do you understand what kind of undertaking that would be for the season? Do you think 300+ athletic directors want to fix their wrestling schedules for one off year?

Keeping the date and moving the event was the most logical and easiest thing to do with the season. 

17 hours ago, formercollegekid said:

Definitely

2021- no fans present

2023- Normal year****

2024 moved tournament 

I did feel for the kids on Saturday night.  I thought the crowed was small compared to what I think it would have been in Indy.  But, it was still a great weekend and much better than I thought it was going to be.  

On 3/21/2024 at 8:03 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

They had the girls basketball state finals the week after wrestling. 

On 3/24/2024 at 8:25 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

If they move the weekend then you also have to try to get venues like the coliseum or Ford Center for a different date. On top of that moving the season to one less week would cause lots of other scheduling issues with 300+ schools. Do you understand what kind of undertaking that would be for the season? Do you think 300+ athletic directors want to fix their wrestling schedules for one off year?

Keeping the date and moving the event was the most logical and easiest thing to do with the season. 

My vote is to just keep it the same weekend and have it in Evansville or Fort Wayne.