NCAA tournament chat

Frustrating that schools like Rider, Little Rock (x2), Campbell, and Columbia can put people on the podium, but both our B1G schools are shut out again.  

I know IU is getting better, and Purdue had success last year, but still frustrating nonetheless.

Edited by matts

8 hours ago, wrestleman101 said:

Also interesting side note, possible 8-9 year age gap between true freshmen and some of these seniors. 

Personally not a fan of this at all. Hopefully this doesn't become a common trend. 

Covid years die out this year or next year. 

8 hours ago, wrestleman101 said:

Also interesting side note, possible 8-9 year age gap between true freshmen and some of these seniors. 

Personally not a fan of this at all. Hopefully this doesn't become a common trend. 

Glad you brought this up.  Makes qualifying or AA’ing at D3, D2, or D1 all that more impressive for those that graduated high school in 2021 or after.  They have had to deal with this extra Covid year their entire college careers if they were not red-shirted.

12 hours ago, Beamaker said:

Mendez to the finals. Hard fought win to get there. B1G championship rematch here we go.

That match was SCARY as a Mendez fan. I hadn't seen Echemendia. That dude is physical and on you. He wore Mendez down in a way that I haven't seen. I can't believe he took 5 losses coming into nationals.

4 hours ago, maligned said:

That match was SCARY as a Mendez fan. I hadn't seen Echemendia. That dude is physical and on you. He wore Mendez down in a way that I haven't seen. I can't believe he took 5 losses coming into nationals.

I think he was the reason Swiderski went to 149.  Echemendia is the real deal.

4 minutes ago, busstogate said:

I think he was the reason Swiderski went to 149.  Echemendia is the real deal.

It's funny, too, how matchups matter. Woods controlled Echemendia twice, Mendez pushed Woods around--but Echemendia was such a handful for Mendez. 

2 minutes ago, maligned said:

It's funny, too, how matchups matter. Woods controlled Echemendia twice, Mendez pushed Woods around--but Echemendia was such a handful for Mendez. 

I have sorrow for Woods going forward.  He was right there all through college, but just missed the big one.  An all-time bada$$.

18 minutes ago, busstogate said:

I have sorrow for Woods going forward.  He was right there all through college, but just missed the big one.  An all-time bada$$.

So true. And if you're a Woods guy, I think last year was the real "rip your heart out" year. Compared to this year, I think he was just slightly back up the hill at his true apex then. And a once-in-a-lifetime throw by a guy who's never hit a throw took what was so nearly his.

7 hours ago, maligned said:

Echemendia is every bit as physical as Mendez, wrestles a very similar style and is perhaps just as quick as Mendez. Watching that match as a Mendez fan myself, that 3rd period was bad for my health; but boy was it something to behold as a fan of the sport. That match literally could have gone either way in an instant. Just glad it went Mendez way this time.

On 3/22/2024 at 10:02 PM, Beamaker said:

Davison really opened up the offense in the semi.. been waiting for that kind of action from him, so capable…off to the finals!
Well done!

Davison definitely deserves some love. That was one heck of a tournament run. Unfortunately Kerkvliet stood in the way of a story book ending.

But hey he gave us Indiana boys two NCAA D1 finalists & fun ride.

Hats off to Mr. Lucas Davison!