Lots of forfeits

18 hours ago, AnonymousLeprechaun0125 said:

I’ve been a fan of not having forfeits in HS tournaments, If a team doesn’t enter a wrestler in a weight they should just treat it as a bye.

allowing team to enter 20 wrestlers as well would cut down in this as well.

What about the small schools who don't even have 20 kids on their team?

Edited by Play Wrestler

Not a fan of entering more than one kid per weight from a school.  What's the point if it is a non-scoring wrestler?  The elite schools that can fill these spots will just take spots from the smaller school kids.  I'm sure BB, CP, CG and MD could have had multiple kids at some weights advance to regionals by knocking out smaller school kids or kids from programs that aren't very good that would love to have a chance to advance to regionals.

Not a fan of allowing JV entries or schools having multiple kids at the same weight. However, I would be in favor of moving a 5th place finisher from the corresponding sectional into the regional in situations where the other sectional didn’t have 4 placers. This would fill the 8 man brackets and make everyone win a match to advance to semi state. 

28 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

Not a fan of entering more than one kid per weight from a school.  What's the point if it is a non-scoring wrestler?  The elite schools that can fill these spots will just take spots from the smaller school kids.  I'm sure BB, CP, CG and MD could have had multiple kids at some weights advance to regionals by knocking out smaller school kids or kids from programs that aren't very good that would love to have a chance to advance to regionals.

I am conflicted whether we should be able to allow 16 or 14 entries, but feel if we would allow 2 entries at a weight class that it would be great for our sport.

For simplicity sake, allowing 14 wrestlers with up to 2 per weight will help small schools more than hurt them. That would mean if they have 14 or less wrestlers they would likely be able to enter all of them at sectional. Many times those small teams have a couple JV kids that can't make the lineup due to being blocked by others. They get very limited matches and it is very hard to keep them engaged when they get limited matches. Coaches would be able to dangle the carrot of being able to wrestle at sectional which should help with retention and building their programs. 

Obviously this would lead to come interesting discussions at the top schools also. For instance we all know Center Grove has two very talented big guys. Would Swain insert Schott into the lineup and leave someone else at home? As a coach this would mean some uneasy conversations, but would be great for those teams to be able to insert their top 14 guys.

I believe that Y2 has offered one of the best responses to this topic that generally appeals after every Sectional. I’ve been at small, medium and large schools and we need to continue to be creative in recruiting and retaining wrestlers. We all know about unfortunate circumstances that happen between Sectional and Regional but not having 8 wrestlers in a bracket needs to be remedied.

5 hours ago, bravegrappler1992 said:

Condense Sectional/Regional into a 2 day event - Friday PM, Saturday. Double Elimination.

I do believe most states have 3 levels of state rather than 4.

I also cannot emphasize enough how much I hate forfeits. Treat it like a bye and stop giving kids fake wins. In a dual is makes sense since there is a team score, but in an 8 team bracket just throw in byes rather than a FFT.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousLeprechaun0125 said:

I do believe most states have 3 levels of state rather than 4.

I also cannot emphasize enough how much I hate forfeits. Treat it like a bye and stop giving kids fake wins. In a dual is makes sense since there is a team score, but in an 8 team bracket just throw in byes rather than a FFT.

It's for team scoring. If there are only 6 wrestlers then the top 2 seeds would only receive 2 advancement points IF he wins the next match aka the semi-finals, while the 3 and 4 seeds(if they win) would get advancement plus bonus. This would mean if the 1 or 2 seeds lose in the semi-finals they will get zero points in the championship side while the 3 and 4 got at least 2 advancement points. In those cases it would be beneficial for your team to have 3-6 seeds instead of a top seed.

I am a newbie fan-- not a coach, former wrestler or wrestler's parent. So please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I followed 2 sectionals online & printed the brackets when released on Friday. Before action started up Saturday morning, 19 of 28 brackets in those 2 sectionals changed due to forfeits/replacements. In general, why so many? Illness, practice injuries, overweights? All of the above? It seems like wrestlers & coaches fight so hard all year to be in that Sectional lineup whether your individual record is 40-0 or 4-20.

24 minutes ago, slice6060 said:

I am a newbie fan-- not a coach, former wrestler or wrestler's parent. So please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I followed 2 sectionals online & printed the brackets when released on Friday. Before action started up Saturday morning, 19 of 28 brackets in those 2 sectionals changed due to forfeits/replacements. In general, why so many? Illness, practice injuries, overweights? All of the above? It seems like wrestlers & coaches fight so hard all year to be in that Sectional lineup whether your individual record is 40-0 or 4-20.

Not knowing specifics but things do happen. On top of that if you have a kid that is questionable you MUST put him in the bracket at the seed meeting if you don't have a backup. You cannot insert a wrestler for a forfeit on Saturday morning.