132- Hockaday vs Thrine

Jayruss

I have a few questions on this one…

Are they scheduled to face off in the regular season ?

Will one bump up (Leavell) seems silly, or down (Schaefer), no small task, but a better option than up. 
Or, will they give us a show a la Lee vs Red high school part 2.? 
And lastly, who wins ? 

My prediction: Both of those throwback type wrestlers don’t budge and stay on a collision course only to wrestle under the lights and for all of the marbles. A perfect scenario is both wrestlers entering with an insert 45+ wins to zero losses, but depending on that heavy Brownsburg schedule if Hockaday drops one, or we find out splitting time with a pigskin vs. specializing in one sport is the better of the two routes. 
If they meet once then I give the nod to Thrine because he’s an upset machine, but if twice then Hockaday days what he does and learns from his loss to get the W!

thoughts ?

Edited by Jayruss

Hockaday will be battle tested all season and has wins against top 10 national talent. I don't think he can be an underdog in any match in indiana at this point. Thrine did pull an upset last yr and is extremely athletic and talented but Jake holds position to good and has great timing on attacks. Jake will be on pace to be a top 5 nationally his senior yr. 

I don’t think we are at Red and Lee level yet: they are a Sophomore and Junior.  But I get the anticipation.  I said 3 years ago I had Hockaday winning 4.  That being said: Thrine had one of the best Freshman campaigns I’ve ever seen: and I’m old and have seen 39 years of Championships.  I’d like to toss my Homeboy Lil Vargo in the conversation.  Don’t blink is all I’m saying.  Either way take my money.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

15 minutes ago, jcs12402 said:

Hockaday may beat one or two Trine wrestlers, but no way he beats the whole team. 

I do think he will handle Thrine without a problem.  

Pump da breaks…..skeetskrrrrrt! You’re supposed to wait to sip the eggnog at Christmas.  Without a problem? You must be late to the festivities: Thrine is definitely “A” problem!

32 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Pump da breaks…..skeetskrrrrrt! You’re supposed to wait to sip the eggnog at Christmas.  Without a problem? You must be late to the festivities: Thrine is definitely “A” problem!

They're making a joke because the OP spelled his name "Trine" rather than "Thrine", they're talking about Trine U wrestlers.

I don't know if it will be as close as some people think. I do agree it will be a very exciting match up and I do think thrine can be a problem because you can't game plan to his style because he will bust out some wild stuff.  I agree with fella above that vargo kind of had a similar style to thrine so those two would be fun to watch but Jake imo at this point is at a different level. And a few months from now someone may swing back and make me eat my words. Not close to a red/Lee level yet!  Jake has great defense and great timing offense, he's a problem! 

Edited by Dailygrind86

29 minutes ago, JORVILLE said:

Come out to The Carnahan Dec 16th. Where there will be hammers at every weight classes . But I believe 126-157 will be absolutely loaded as Bishop McCort is the deepest high school team around those weights . 3 Super 32 Champs alone from there . 

That'll be a good one for sure!  Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Joe, and best to Evan on the upcoming season.

37 minutes ago, Dailygrind86 said:

I don't know if it will be as close as some people think. I do agree it will be a very exciting match up and I do think thrine can be a problem because you can't game plan to his style because he will bust out some wild stuff.  I agree with fella above that vargo kind of had a similar style to thrine so those two would be fun to watch but Jake imo at this point is at a different level. And a few months from now someone may swing back and make me eat my words. Not close to a red/Lee level yet!  Jake has great defense and great timing offense, he's a problem! 

I agree and believe Hockaday would control the match.  

In my opinion, Hockaday is Indiana's P4P #1.

I also have to admit I thought Frazier would control the match last year against Thrine and I was proven wrong.

Regardless, if the match happens, it will be fun to watch.  Good luck to both wrestlers!

• Jayruss changed the title to 132- Hockaday vs Thrine
2 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Tylin is a really good wrestler, but Hockaday is next level. Look at what happened over the summer. Tylin losing several times at U16, and Hockaday slaying at Fargo as a Junior 

8 minutes ago, jcs12402 said:

Tylin is a really good wrestler, but Hockaday is next level. Look at what happened over the summer. Tylin losing several times at U16, and Hockaday slaying at Fargo as a Junior 

I've heard it all before.  Most thought the same thing when he wrestled Frazier.  I saw Frazier mauling people last week for VT.  Freestyle is not folkstyle.  I've seen guys win Fargo 4 times and never win state.  I've seen guys win state who didn't know what Fargo was.  Head to head during the season will determine who is the champ. 

1 hour ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

I've heard it all before.  Most thought the same thing when he wrestled Frazier.  I saw Frazier mauling people last week for VT.  Freestyle is not folkstyle.  I've seen guys win Fargo 4 times and never win state.  I've seen guys win state who didn't know what Fargo was.  Head to head during the season will determine who is the champ. 

Frazier took foot off the gas and learned from it and will do great in college, but Jake has a good track record in folkstyle as well. I think he has beaten some top 5 nationally ranked in folk and seems to only be improving. Believe he beat one of those raney boys at one time in folk in the last yr. Hes pretty solid. At the end of the day its wrestling and anybody can be beat! 

I think both are great. I think and feel fairly confident barring any unforeseen events that Jake is a 4 timer. He may wind up as one of the best HS ever to come out of Indiana. Thrine maybe jumps up a weight(138) makes the most sense. He is a  football player so staying small is probably not going to happen. I think he would have better chance at success bumping up. 138 is not a clearly defined as some may think. Only issue is Gavin Whitehead stayed at 138 it looks like unless there is plans to move up. let the year play out a bit. Would not be surprised to see some other changes at 132.

58 minutes ago, buttler73 said:

I think both are great. I think and feel fairly confident barring any unforeseen events that Jake is a 4 timer. He may wind up as one of the best HS ever to come out of Indiana. Thrine maybe jumps up a weight(138) makes the most sense. He is a  football player so staying small is probably not going to happen. I think he would have better chance at success bumping up. 138 is not a clearly defined as some may think. Only issue is Gavin Whitehead stayed at 138 it looks like unless there is plans to move up. let the year play out a bit. Would not be surprised to see some other changes at 132.

I think unless you have seen Clinton Shepherd up close most don’t have a good feel for how good he is because hasn’t done as much Indiana stuff. He will be hard to beat come February. Also Kyrel and Ison listed at 138 also top contenders . Thrine was super impressive last season and can’t want to see it all play out. 

1 hour ago, JORVILLE said:

I think unless you have seen Clinton Shepherd up close most don’t have a good feel for how good he is because hasn’t done as much Indiana stuff. He will be hard to beat come February. Also Kyrel and Ison listed at 138 also top contenders . Thrine was super impressive last season and can’t want to see it all play out. 

Same man, Shep could 100% be a 4 timer, not many out there work as hard as he does.  

1 hour ago, JORVILLE said:

To bad new castle doesn't wrestle any of the top events- shepherd major kid is a machine and will only keep improving. Maybe Hockday vs Shepherd next year when Jake is going for his 4th 

2 hours ago, buttler73 said:

Jake will need to start being an all American more if he wants to be in that goat convo with mendez Lee BLee Red Tshirts angel and Parris.