State Finals STREAMING THREAD - Announcers, Issues?

base

I sincerely apologize if I was cheering for my team too hard. It’s a tough gig when you have to separate yourself from that.

I got pretty hyped up during the Reece Courtney match and Mr. Hammond (who is working the floor) told me to chill out while I was working a table. During the Stits match a few minutes later I also got excited in a HIGE match.. I probably showed some bias. He again came to me and told me I need to calm down and my response was “I’m trying. It won’t happen again” and I don’t think it did too much after that . My bad. Noah and I on mat 1 talked before about just trying to talk through situations the best we see them. We’re just trying to give you guys some decent commentary. If I rubbed anyone wrong, I’m sorry. I love Indiana wrestling and think tonight was awesome.

Great job to everyone who competed tonight regardless of who you wrestle for.

-Eric Aue - Mat 1

Edited by CGWC

10 minutes ago, CGWC said:

I will refrain from clapping tomorrow…

It's all good :) I was just reporting what happened (or what I thought might have happened). I appreciate having people on the mic.  At other tournaments it's either silence, crowd noise only or someone working the table talking into the mic about everything but wrestling.  A big improvement, clapping or no.  It was just funny because I heard him tell you the 2nd time.  The first time you told on yourself.  ;)

50 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

It's all good :) I was just reporting what happened (or what I thought might have happened). I appreciate having people on the mic.  At other tournaments it's either silence, crowd noise only or someone working the table talking into the mic about everything but wrestling.  A big improvement, clapping or no.  It was just funny because I heard him tell you the 2nd time.  The first time you told on yourself.  ;)

Bullshit Smh GIFwhy you always lying noragami aragoto GIFLying Simon Rex GIF by Simon Rex / Dirt NastyLies No GIF by Shalita Grant

Gotta love the State Finals as it's been entertaining so far!  I will try not to get into it much with this thread but I try to be as unbiased as possible commentating, believe it or not.  I bounce between the perspective of a wrestler, coach, family member and fan.  My default however is a wrestler and coach with world-class experience and success, so yes my expectations are relatively higher than average.   

If I offended anyone, please know this is not may intention.  I understand the energy associated when we are emotionally invested in our kids out here fighting on this mat, especially at this level.  It's in the air.  For some of us, this is everything.  I truly get it and am conscious of this, so please know my commentating is extremely filtered.  

For the most part I don't have favorites.  Even if my "favorite" gets beat then they didn't earn it. Learn the lesson and keep it moving.  But as the Olympic Developmental Director for the ISWA, my favorite is every wrestler in the state who wrestles, because they are all potential representatives of Indiana at the highest levels.  I am rooting for every single kid who steps foot on that mat.   

There were at least two matches I can vaguely recall tonight where kids were clearly looking at the official for blood stoppage, which didn't get called quick enough for them, and even more matches where kids called injury time who just simply needed a breather.  Whatever.  They're trying to win.  It's worse internationally. 

I don't believe the word "horrible" came out of my mouth once tonight, especially about a kid's wrestling.  Still, there were definitely a ton of shots were kid's heads were down.  This isn't good for the wrestler and not good for the state on a national level.  Look at the results of those shots.  Look at how many of those shots are finished as we progress in the tournament.  The number will decline, specifically in the finals.  We have to get better.  Wrestle Freestyle more and we will understand why and how, better.

Lastly, never have I questioned how a kid made it to state and, just because I have an idea who will win, never do I share.  I will share here that I'm right about 97% of the time but it's cool. Lol.  Anyway, I did contemplate on if I should comment on first time posts from fresh accounts hating on me, but in this case I will use this as an opportunity to educate and open up some quality conversations about Indiana wrestling and our growth.  I am always open for constructive conversations.

Those who truly know me know I am dedicated to Indiana wrestling, have a pretty good idea on what I am talking about, and am always seeking growth. Those that don't can listen in tomorrow and hear what the fuss is about.  I welcome the attention to Mat 4, although all of the commentators have our own spin on things and are dedicated to Indiana wrestling.  Good stuff all around.  Either way, I look forward to a great day tomorrow and will see everyone around this spring and summer doing our parts!

Pretty sure you are a volunteer "commentator"? If so, everyone else can pound sand. Thanks for taking the time to build Indiana Wrestling. I enjoyed a little color watching your mat from afar today. Have a great Saturday. No holds barred with the morning round! LFG. 

5 hours ago, Coach Hull said:

Gotta love the State Finals as it's been entertaining so far!  I will try not to get into it much with this thread but I try to be as unbiased as possible commentating, believe it or not.  I bounce between the perspective of a wrestler, coach, family member and fan.  My default however is a wrestler and coach with world-class experience and success, so yes my expectations are relatively higher than average.   

If I offended anyone, please know this is not may intention.  I understand the energy associated when we are emotionally invested in our kids out here fighting on this mat, especially at this level.  It's in the air.  For some of us, this is everything.  I truly get it and am conscious of this, so please know my commentating is extremely filtered.  

For the most part I don't have favorites.  Even if my "favorite" gets beat then they didn't earn it. Learn the lesson and keep it moving.  But as the Olympic Developmental Director for the ISWA, my favorite is every wrestler in the state who wrestles, because they are all potential representatives of Indiana at the highest levels.  I am rooting for every single kid who steps foot on that mat.   

There were at least two matches I can vaguely recall tonight where kids were clearly looking at the official for blood stoppage, which didn't get called quick enough for them, and even more matches where kids called injury time who just simply needed a breather.  Whatever.  They're trying to win.  It's worse internationally. 

I don't believe the word "horrible" came out of my mouth once tonight, especially about a kid's wrestling.  Still, there were definitely a ton of shots were kid's heads were down.  This isn't good for the wrestler and not good for the state on a national level.  Look at the results of those shots.  Look at how many of those shots are finished as we progress in the tournament.  The number will decline, specifically in the finals.  We have to get better.  Wrestle Freestyle more and we will understand why and how, better.

Lastly, never have I questioned how a kid made it to state and, just because I have an idea who will win, never do I share.  I will share here that I'm right about 97% of the time but it's cool. Lol.  Anyway, I did contemplate on if I should comment on first time posts from fresh accounts hating on me, but in this case I will use this as an opportunity to educate and open up some quality conversations about Indiana wrestling and our growth.  I am always open for constructive conversations.

Those who truly know me know I am dedicated to Indiana wrestling, have a pretty good idea on what I am talking about, and am always seeking growth. Those that don't can listen in tomorrow and hear what the fuss is about.  I welcome the attention to Mat 4, although all of the commentators have our own spin on things and are dedicated to Indiana wrestling.  Good stuff all around.  Either way, I look forward to a great day tomorrow and will see everyone around this spring and summer doing our parts!

I still cringe when I see kids shoot with their heads down.  The truth hurts sometime.  Keep up the commentary it was par excellence.

I bounced between different mat commentaries depending on the matches I was focusing on, but want to commend this years announcing staff - all mats were entertaining and informative. I don’t want a mindless drone repeating what I can see myself, I like to hear their perspective on how the match is going and what the strategy may be for wrestlers. Keep it up gentlemen!  I heard at least one Ric Flair WOOOOOOO at an exciting point in a match and although Vin Scully might frown at that emotion, I liked it

17 hours ago, Grover said:

LOL @ the guy on Mat 1 who said "Hit 'em with your flute Greg"

If you know you know.

Parents do your kids a favor and sign them up for Steve Stallings (aka Greg Warrens) Wrestling camp today.  It will be an eye opening experience for sure. 

Edited by MattM

I made an account just to comment on this thread. Nick Hull has no business commentating. Literally just listened to you bad mouth a kid on the mat and then justify it by saying "it's just business." Or complaining about how bad a match is because it was low scoring....

Also listening to you brag about wrestling at Clarion and going to the U.S. Open later this year. No one cares. This is about the kids, not you.

Just explain what's going on. Don't tell people that you've trained with a particular wrestler etc and then obviously show emotion when they score. Be professional.

Edited by Chris Owens

19 hours ago, CGWC said:

I sincerely apologize if I was cheering for my team too hard. It’s a tough gig when you have to separate yourself from that.

I got pretty hyped up during the Reece Courtney match and Mr. Hammond (who is working the floor) told me to chill out while I was working a table. During the Stits match a few minutes later I also got excited in a HIGE match.. I probably showed some bias. He again came to me and told me I need to calm down and my response was “I’m trying. It won’t happen again” and I don’t think it did too much after that . My bad. Noah and I on mat 1 talked before about just trying to talk through situations the best we see them. We’re just trying to give you guys some decent commentary. If I rubbed anyone wrong, I’m sorry. I love Indiana wrestling and think tonight was awesome.

Great job to everyone who competed tonight regardless of who you wrestle for.

-Eric Aue - Mat 1

I love the authenticity of the commentary. Reminding us we are all fans of the oldest sport in the world. Thanx for your work this weekend.