Where Does Crown Point vs. Brownsburg Rank Among All-Time Rivalries in Indiana Wrestling History?

The stupid LC invite that we hosted Friday and Saturday after thanksgiving was awful and I still have ptsd from setting up mats and cutting on thanksgiving.

It was not very fun to officiate either!!  Even without having to worry about the scale lol.

Edited by horseofadifferentcolor

33 minutes ago, TripleB said:

Castle/EMD 

Brownsburg/Avon

Castle/EMD is an interesting one, I would say during the regular season in any sport I played in we wanted to beat Castle pretty bad, but come state weekend I was usually hoping Castle would win unless they were playing/wrestling us.

On 1/20/2023 at 9:09 AM, Darrick Snyder said:

In my opinion, to be a rivalry it has to go back and forth.  Crown Point has kicked us in the mouth the last couple of years. We need to actually beat them for this to be a rivalry.  

Snyder 

Right. That's like saying CG and Brownsburg have a rivalry. We have never beat Brownsburg, so how could it be a rivalry. It's called chasing. 

6 hours ago, TripleB said:

Some barn burners during the Welch years. 

I remember having good conversations w/ Castle and MD parents. Very respectable towards each other but wouldn't mind if each got hit by a bus. 

All-time, MD is 45-2 against Castle.

The two losses the Knights hung on the 'Cats occurred in 2009 and 2010.  They particularly hurt, because MD beat Castle in the regular season, but was handed the pain during the team regional.  

MD fans are mostly respectful toward Castle wrestling.  Bob Harmon runs a good program and is old school.  Castle has a solid fan following and does an excellent job of hosting the SIAC and Regional meets.

The Reitz/MD rivalry is now 70 years old.  An in-person barnburner between the two in a packed gymnasium is something to behold.  Mater Dei has lost one dual meet in its home gym since 1976.  The loss was to Reitz in 2010.

A few outliers aside, the Reitz/MD is a healthy and fun rivalry.  Many community members have family and friends that attend or support the opposing school.

If you like hateful rivalries, there have been a few in Evansville.  In the 90's, Evansville Central and MD had top-five ranked teams.  The wrestlers, fans and coaches had equal contempt for their counterparts.  If you ever meet any of the combatants, they will tell you stories that will curl your hair.

Recently, Reitz and Castle certainly had an INTENSE rivalry.  I'll leave this one to Panther and Knight fans to elaborate.

In my estimation, a real rivalry has to stand the test of time.  The more time that is elapsed, the better the rivalry.

By that measuring stick, MD has two great rivals- Reitz and Perry Meridian.  The Reitz rivalry is detailed in the previous post.

The PM rivalry began in the late 1970's when Perry Meridian and Mater Dei competed in the same semi-state.  Who could possibly forget Jeff Parkinson's 1981 controversial victory over PM's Steve Adams in the semi-state semifinal match?  Legendary coaches Mike Goebel and Phil Strader had words with the referee and each other.  Let's get it on!

The state individual and dual meet series has been dotted by PM/MD dust-ups.  

Nearly every year, MD and PM boys bang heads at the Gainbridge in high-stakes matches.  More than once, it has been for all the marbles.  MD's coach, Greg Schaefer and PM's Middle School coach, Shaun Richardson went for the blue ribbon, under the lights.

During the team state era, MD and PM delivered big-time for their fans.  MD hung it on the Falcons their first three meetings at team state.  The last IHSAA team sanctioned event was in 2012.  The Perry juggernaut beat the 'Cats in the semi final and ultimately won the gold.  MD fans had grown accustomed to winning this event.  Losing to their arch-rival was a bitter pill to swallow.  Three years later, the Wildcats returned the favor, beating PM for the IHSWCA title in 2015.  It was a pinnacle achievement for MD, as this edition of the Wildcats have never defeated the Falcons at a grade school, middle school or high school level.

For my money, there is nothing much more satisifying than beating PM and nothing much painful than losing to them.

12 hours ago, hook and half said:

In my estimation, a real rivalry has to stand the test of time.  The more time that is elapsed, the better the rivalry.

By that measuring stick, MD has two great rivals- Reitz and Perry Meridian.  The Reitz rivalry is detailed in the previous post.

The PM rivalry began in the late 1970's when Perry Meridian and Mater Dei competed in the same semi-state.  Who could possibly forget Jeff Parkinson's 1981 controversial victory over PM's Steve Adams in the semi-state semifinal match?  Legendary coaches Mike Goebel and Phil Strader had words with the referee and each other.  Let's get it on!

Nearly every year, MD and PM boys bang heads at the Gainbridge in high-stakes matches.  More than once, it has been for all the marbles.  MD's coach, Greg Schaefer and PM's Middle School coach, Shaun Richardson went for the blue ribbon, under the lights.

During the team state era, MD and PM delivered big-time for their fans.  MD hung it on the Falcons their first three meetings at team state.  The last IHSAA team sanctioned event was in 2012.  The Perry juggernaut beat the 'Cats in the semi final and ultimately won the gold.  MD fans had grown accustomed to winning this event.  Losing to their arch-rival was a bitter pill to swallow.  Three years later, the Wildcats returned the favor, beating PM for the IHSWCA title in 2015.  It was a pinnacle achievement for MD, as this edition of the Wildcats have never defeated the Falcons at a grade school, middle school or high school level.

For my money, there is nothing much more satisifying than beating PM and nothing much painful than losing to them.

MD/Cathedral was pretty heated in the 80's and early 90's.    As was MD vs LN in the early 90's

MD / Central....

The BIG one I believe in in '93 at MD was absolutely insane. Hook tells the story quite well but as a Sophomore wrestling JV in front of a packed house it still sends chills down my back, I have goose bumps typing this. I can't remember who took the mat first but I can remember taking a warmup lap atound the mat, the sound was deafening. As we ran past the central crowd there was a small contingent of former MD wrestlers front and center on the visitor's side. All the old MD guys had their old gold warmup shirts on and you could feel the boos from the Central crowd along with the cheering section right at matside.

I realize this is JV we are talking about but it was wrestling heaven! MD JV won the match handily, we had one guy lose and he was dejected. I felt sorry for him but proud that we won.

The hard part after the match was that we didn't have a seat to sit in after the JV match. We tried sitting in the isle but the athletic director told us we couldn't do that either so it was standing room only for us little JV guys! Good times! That rivalry has since died down a bit but those memories will last a long time that was a migical year for a Mater Dei team that wasn't supposed to do much!

I know it wasn't a real rivalry, but Gibson Southern had as much respect and animosity towards MD in the mid - late 90's as anyone. We had top 20 teams and had to square off with them at team regionals in the middle of their hay day. My sophomore year, the instructions were to not get pinned. I ended up on the front page of the Evansville Courier Sports page being teched by Van Ness. I then witnessed the best wrestler I had ever seen (Greg Schaefer) tech our 112. We did our part with no pins, but obviously fell well short of the upset. The next year we inched closer, but still fell short in the regional finals. I lost a decision to Todich that year. MD was always so technically sound, no mistakes. I took it as stalling at the time, but they were all well trained wrestlers. They were the standard, and beating one of their wrestlers would have been the pinnacle for me. I never got the chance my senior year. I agreed with the MD vs Indiana post made earlier. Everyone was gunning for them back in the day. 

36 minutes ago, rmckinney88 said:

I know it wasn't a real rivalry, but Gibson Southern had as much respect and animosity towards MD in the mid - late 90's as anyone. We had top 20 teams and had to square off with them at team regionals in the middle of their hay day. My sophomore year, the instructions were to not get pinned. I ended up on the front page of the Evansville Courier Sports page being teched by Van Ness. I then witnessed the best wrestler I had ever seen (Greg Schaefer) tech our 112. We did our part with no pins, but obviously fell well short of the upset. The next year we inched closer, but still fell short in the regional finals. I lost a decision to Todich that year. MD was always so technically sound, no mistakes. I took it as stalling at the time, but they were all well trained wrestlers. They were the standard, and beating one of their wrestlers would have been the pinnacle for me. I never got the chance my senior year. I agreed with the MD vs Indiana post made earlier. Everyone was gunning for them back in the day. 

I remember the Team Regional against GS at Evansville Central. I believe it was D.J. Radnavitch's senior year. MD already had the match won by the time tgat weight came up. D.J. loomed ready to rip someone's head off. MD FF'd the last two or three weights GS was MAD MAD MAD. They knew that would be their time to shine. I can't blame them but on the other hand there was no reason to send someone out there to get hammered when we had individual regionals and team Semistate to wrestle yet.

38 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

I remember the Team Regional against GS at Evansville Central. I believe it was D.J. Radnavitch's senior year. MD already had the match won by the time tgat weight came up. D.J. loomed ready to rip someone's head off. MD FF'd the last two or three weights GS was MAD MAD MAD. They knew that would be their time to shine. I can't blame them but on the other hand there was no reason to send someone out there to get hammered when we had individual regionals and team Semistate to wrestle yet.

That was actually 97, DJs Junior year, my sophomore year. I was the weak spot on that team. We lost the coin toss and knew we had no room for error (no pins). The next year we won the toss and MD had to wrestle all 14 matches. We still lost. You have a still great program and great coach and GS can't even field a full roster. 

38 minutes ago, rmckinney88 said:

That was actually 97, DJs Junior year, my sophomore year. I was the weak spot on that team. We lost the coin toss and knew we had no room for error (no pins). The next year we won the toss and MD had to wrestle all 14 matches. We still lost. You have a still great program and great coach and GS can't even field a full roster. 

Don't sell yourself short, you ran the laps and went to practices right? You did more than most would ever try.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:14 PM, hook and half said:

I personally loved headlocking EMD’s heavyweight in the Team State final that year. In all seriousness, I have a lot of respect for the Wildcats and I am grateful to have participated in a war between the greatest rivals of Indiana wrestling.