TOP 25 Indiana Middle School Wrestlers 2022/2023

MScholar

I name dropped Kincaide and Verduzco when the list came out… love being proved right haha. 
Rosenbarger looks really good as of course the 95 champ Dowty does. 
like kaide said 100-106 were just loaded. 95 was really deep as well. Outside of the top 2 or 3 in all of those I think you could change up the matchups over and over and get different placement results. 

Probably not top 25, but Kale Shotts definitely surprised some people last weekend.  Yes, he's my son, but I'm not above throwing his name out there.  He's only been wrestling since 6th grade, but has worked his butt off.  Impressed with the level of wrestling from all the competitors.  

Also, a huge shout out to the Mishawaka coaches!  When they found out Kale's coaches couldn't make it, they took him under their wing and coached him like one of their own.  I can't say enough good things about those two guys, definitely a class act move on their part.

Edited by ashotts

On 2/6/2023 at 10:32 PM, JFreeze said:

I think you could also add Dallas Rosenbarger to the list.  Lost a close quarterfinal match 8-6 to Dowty at 95# then went on to finish 3rd.

Yes!!!!! My son does not lose much and he lost to him twice at state.  He is phenomenal and am thankful mine got to wrestle him because he is really putting the work in now and hopes to see him again 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Heartland MS Blue Results

Javier Salas - 6-2

Lukas Scott - 2-6

Reed Wicker - 6-2

Jacob Power - 1-7

Nicholas Freeze - 5-3

Lincoln Underwood - 4-4

Bo Jackson - 3-5

Cohen Long - 3-5

Cameron Sommers - 4-4

Jonah Strain - 4-4

Aidan Kincaide - 7-1

Aleksandar Tatum - 5-3

Paul Woods - 4-4

Kellan Fellure - 3-3

Colin McMahon - 8-0

Carson Powell - 6/2

Heartland MS Gold Results

Connor Maddox - 8-0

Cam Schofield - 6-2

Traevon Ducking - 7-1

Sabastian Gracia - 4-4

Dallas Rosenbarger - 8-0

Patrick Dowty - 3-5

Colin Strayer - 7-1

Tony Kessinger - 4-4

Gavin Lewis - 8-0

Lincoln Cooper - 8-0

Elijah Guyer - 5-3

MJ Staples - 8-0

Lucas Boe - 8-0

Benjamin Clark - 6-2

Cesar Salas - 7-1

Zachary Clark - 7-1

Tony Brooks - 7-1

Heartland ES Blue Results

Suncera Dickman - 6-2

Colton Herigis - 2-6

Karsten Casteter - 4-4

Colton Wiseman - 5-3

Henry Antrobus - 4-4

Haedyn Cochran - 5-3

Alex Ponce - 2-6

Derek Rogers - 4-4

Vaughn Wyatt - 5-3

Harper Lee - 4-4

Dalton Jones - 6-2

Noah Plahitko - 1-7

River Lilly - 4-4

Todd Gonzales - 4-4

Ellis Jones - 3-5

Skyar Mack - 5-3

Max Creager - 3-5

Heartland ES Gold Results

Vincent Obergon - 5-2

Layten Marsh - 5-2

Oliver Guernsey - 4-3

D'Angelo Chavez - 7-0

Max Kessinger - 4-3

Deacon Gibbs - 5-2

Harry Scott - 2-5

Max Kleeburg - 4-2

Ty Whitten - 5-2

JJ Doty - 4-3

Brody Weimer - 6-1

Cameron Cooper - 4-3

Hayden Mullins - 3-4

Noah Fitzgerald - 6-1

Gavin Brown - 5-2

Bryce Harrell - 4-3

Mason Heidleberger - 5-2

Edited by JFreeze

Heartland Girls Results

Grace Harris - 6-3

Grace Nedelsky - 7-2

Rebel Silcox - 0-9

Ella Neibert - 9-0

Onica Gradeless - 4-5

Corabella Wesley - 7-2

Cierra Lear - 2-7

Kynlie Keffer - 0-9

Ava Strayer - 6-3

Hope Senteney - 5-4

Rhaigyn Trenary - 7-2

Ella Morris - 6-3

Sophia Gropp - 3-6

• 4 weeks later...

Aiden(Jeremy) Carver placed top 4 at Tulsa, Won USA Folkstyle Nationals, tech/pinned his way through Folkstyle state, won The Midwest classic, Ohio TOC, dominated Ms state.. Went to other countries placing top 3 every time. 

In the past year he's had nearly 400 wins, and to put into perspective how tough he's been, he's got 128 notable wins on track wrestling, yes 128.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

23 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Aiden(Jeremy) Carver placed top 4 at Tulsa, Won USA Folkstyle Nationals, tech/pinned his way through Folkstyle state, won The Midwest classic, Ohio TOC, dominated Ms state.. Went to other countries placing top 3 every time. 

In the past year he's had nearly 400 wins, and to put into perspective how tough he's been, he's got 128 notable wins on track wrestling, yes 128.

That is a whole bunch of wrestling.

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2023 at 2:12 PM, ashotts said:

Probably not top 25, but Kale Shotts definitely surprised some people last weekend.  Yes, he's my son, but I'm not above throwing his name out there.  He's only been wrestling since 6th grade, but has worked his butt off.  Impressed with the level of wrestling from all the competitors.  

Also, a huge shout out to the Mishawaka coaches!  When they found out Kale's coaches couldn't make it, they took him under their wing and coached him like one of their own.  I can't say enough good things about those two guys, definitely a class act move on their part.

I think he is now a top 25.  He was unstoppable at freestyle and greco state. Does not look like a U14 wrestler at all. 

Beck and Shotts were wrecking balls at ISWA state for Rochester.

Is he wrestling Tulsa/Fargo?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 5:45 PM, Coplen187 said:

I think he is now a top 25.  He was unstoppable at freestyle and greco state. Does not look like a U14 wrestler at all. 

Beck and Shotts were wrecking balls at ISWA state for Rochester.

Is he wrestling Tulsa/Fargo?

Not sure about Beck, but we just got back from 14U National Duals in Philadelphia.  Not quite the outcome we were hoping for.  He went 4-1 on Thursday in Greco, then got a concussion during his first match Friday morning.  Got red carded and out for the rest of the tourney.  Great experience though and thankful for the experience! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 8:15 AM, Joe Exotics Wildcats said:

That is a whole bunch of wrestling.

Yessir,  he also won USA FOLKSTYLE Nationals without surrendering a point, then turned around and went to USA FS and GR Nationals and got true 2nd in both. 

So 1st,2nd,2nd in all 3 styles. He didn't get that natty Triple crown he was wanting but we couldn't be any more proud.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, MScholar said:

Who are the holdbacks this year  from this list?  

These are the ones I am aware of.

6. Case Bell--8th grade-Avon--95--(106)

8. Matt “MJ” Staples 8th grade—New Prarie--130--(126-138)

10. Ceasar Salas--8th grade--Merrillville--190--(210-220)

26. Patrick Dowty—8th Grade—Indian Creek—106

Other holdbacks with recent success:

Gavyn Kemp

William Grafton-Hodgetts

Javier Salas

51 minutes ago, Hereforthe2s said:

Gavyn Kemp

William Grafton-Hodgetts

Javier Salas

Lincoln Underwood Portage

• 2 weeks later...
  • Y2CJ41 unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have come to realize that there is a bigger picture and my comments were from a narrow view. It is difficult to accept that reclassifying is a norm for truly top talent. When they are reclassified it does force other top tier kids coming up to have to consider doing the same thing. Creates a cycle. 

However, wrestling is ultimately an individual sport. Families that have started the journey with their athletes at a young age have worked tirelessly to put them in the best positions to be successful. The success is mostly defined by college scholarship to a good D1 wrestling program or a program that will pay the bulk of the college bill. If reclassifying an athlete is a good way to get reach this goal, what is going to deter families from considering it? 

I get size and maturity arguments also. 

Does it suck for those kids that could have been multi state champs or placers but for having to wrestle 15-16 year old freshmen and geting those draws? Of course. But are the decisions being made based on how other kids and families feel about reclassifying? No. 

The schools and IHSAA allow the loop holes. Families take advantage of it for their athletes in order to continue to put them in the best position to be successful in the sport and in college, as they have done since they first started in the sport at a young age. No different, perhaps, than cutting weight to be at the optimal competition level. The goal is to win and get colleges to pay for schooling. 

I hate it but I get it. 

3 hours ago, MatTime said:

I have come to realize that there is a bigger picture and my comments were from a narrow view. It is difficult to accept that reclassifying is a norm for truly top talent. When they are reclassified it does force other top tier kids coming up to have to consider doing the same thing. Creates a cycle. 

However, wrestling is ultimately an individual sport. Families that have started the journey with their athletes at a young age have worked tirelessly to put them in the best positions to be successful. The success is mostly defined by college scholarship to a good D1 wrestling program or a program that will pay the bulk of the college bill. If reclassifying an athlete is a good way to get reach this goal, what is going to deter families from considering it? 

I get size and maturity arguments also. 

Does it suck for those kids that could have been multi state champs or placers but for having to wrestle 15-16 year old freshmen and geting those draws? Of course. But are the decisions being made based on how other kids and families feel about reclassifying? No. 

The schools and IHSAA allow the loop holes. Families take advantage of it for their athletes in order to continue to put them in the best position to be successful in the sport and in college, as they have done since they first started in the sport at a young age. No different, perhaps, than cutting weight to be at the optimal competition level. The goal is to win and get colleges to pay for schooling. 

I hate it but I get it. 

This has been the rules for many years . Kids graduate at 19 doesn’t seem that crazy to me. But it definitely seems to be happening more and more . I have heard people say they would never do that and as time went on realized how often it happens, especially with the kids who travel and do a lot of National type duals. No kid is allowed to be 20 in Indiana competing . My son was a 3 Time Middle School Finalist ( 2 time Champ). And his hold back year didn’t do Indiana Middle School State . We used it to help academically , give us more time to decide on school, and another year to mature. But everyone has to choose what is best for their family. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 4:05 PM, Hereforthe2s said:

Gavyn Kemp

William Grafton-Hodgetts

Javier Salas

Patrick Dowty is not a red shirt, he has never been held back & will graduate at 18.