Senior Nationals

blueandgold

1995 James Leavell DC and Vernon Cannon LC wrestled like 5 times that year. That was the best one year rivalry ever. Wrestled in the finals and James won in OT. 

I was told that they went different weights at Senior Nationals and both won. Someone help out. I looked and couldn't find the results.

Senior Nationals used to be a pretty big thing, but with the advent of FloNationals and a couple other end of season events it’s lost a little of its original luster.  Still a tournament worth attending if you think it can help you finally get noticed by a school.  

3 hours ago, Hayhurst said:

Matt Coughlin won and believe one of the Welch brothers from castle also won

Chad Welch 

Won the 2011 NHSCA Senior National Championships at 152 pounds, going 5-0 with three falls and a major decision and not allowing a point in the semifinals and finals

17 hours ago, Timeinandout said:

1995 James Leavell DC and Vernon Cannon LC wrestled like 5 times that year. That was the best one year rivalry ever. Wrestled in the finals and James won in OT. 

I was told that they went different weights at Senior Nationals and both won. Someone help out. I looked and couldn't find the results.

You are correct on James winning; Vernon was runner-up.  For all the old guys out there...Indiana had a ton a kids place that year and score very well in the Nationals as a team in whole??  2nd Place I believe... I have always been told that it was the best High School National team Indiana has ever brought to senior nationals and agree whole heartedly.  I'm having trouble verifying the placement of these Kats and who was officially on the team...some bad dudes man!! 

Also fun fact...at NHSCA Senior nationals Decatur Central became the first school in the nation to have 2 individuals in the finals....James Leavell and Chad Kerr

1995 NHSCA -Indiana Team

Champion-

James Leavell

Runners-Up-

Chad Kerr

Vernon Cannon

Chris Snyder

Pat Mayes

James Torres (Questionable....can't remember if it was a 2nd or 4th and I am getting conflicting reports from sources)

Who else on team and results? Got to be some dudes that know this

Will Hill ?

Pleak?

Nowak?

Yates?

Happe?

Larsen?- 

Cassidy?

McDonald?

I do know Tim Myers did not go...that probably would have helped!!!

But to correct a few things mentioned above on the quoted post and solidify some prior posts....

James and Vernon wrestled 3 times that year.  Vernon upset James at Marion County.  James returned the favor at CSAC with a win.  They did not meet again until State Finals, James won the rubber match.

NHSCA Champions 1990 thru 2006

1991- Matt Mills  HWT

1994- David Maldonado  130

1995- James Leavell 140

2005- Matt Coughlin  152

2006-  Dexter Larimor HWT

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.