Accountability

Hornet Coach

Now that it's tournament time, there are a lot of wrestlers that will not end their seasons the way they want.  It is imperative, that we, as coaches, hold them accountable for their post match behavior, even when it's a disappointing match for them.  I see so many kids throw child-like temper tantrums and are disrespectful to the other wrestler, the referee, the opposing coach, and sometimes their own coach.  We owe it to them to teach them that things in life will not always go their way and that maybe they just didn't work hard enough to accomplish the goal they set out to accomplish.  You know, tell them the truth.  When it is just one individual, I understand, it is probably just the one wrestler, however, when it's the majority of the team, it has to be what is tolerated as a program.  Making good wrestlers is very important to all of us, making great people through the lessons of our great sport, should be the ultimate goal.  Good luck to everyone advancing in the tournament and let's all do our part for the sake of our young people!  

Yeah, I know "hard work" is a factor in wins and losses, especially when it is obvious as in stalling DQ's, gassing out, shot attempts etc.  How much  does the development of psyche factor in as well as endurance and effort?  Can the losing wrestler somehow be convinced that they could also be a "superior wrestler" ?  Not sure if it could help the hardheaded or "uncoachable" , but I wonder if something might be different with a demonstration/explanation/description of what it takes mentally, emotionally, and habit-wise to turn the corner.  

6 minutes ago, busstogate said:

Yeah, I know "hard work" is a factor in wins and losses, especially when it is obvious as in stalling DQ's, gassing out, shot attempts etc.  How much  does the development of psyche factor in as well as endurance and effort?  Can the losing wrestler somehow be convinced that they could also be a "superior wrestler" ?  Not sure if it could help the hardheaded or "uncoachable" , but I wonder if something might be different with a demonstration/explanation/description of what it takes mentally, emotionally, and habit-wise to turn the corner.  

Development of the mental factor, or psyche, is huge in this sport.  Arguably more important in this sport, than any other.  I was referring to the behavior of the wrestler, not the match itself.  This humbling sport can teach you that life is not always fair, if you work your butt off you will at least have a chance to be successful, and the hard life lesson of learning how to act appropriately and carry yourself when things don't go your way.  Allowing them to "throw a fit" and be disrespectful is doing them a disservice because the older you get, to higher the stakes get with this type of behavior.  Coach them hard and hug them after! 

One of the major reasons that we love this sport is because it is a combination of physical, mental, and emotional.  Wrestlers will, a lot of times, reflect their coaches.  As has been said above.  Coach it in them all of the time and consistently.  Remind them that when they are wearing that singlet it is just them representing their school, coaches, team.  There aren't other players representing at that particular moment.  How they act, and react, is a reflection on all of them.  That is the view that everyone is getting of your entire school at that particular moment.

When I wrestled in High School I was one of the "Uncoachables" or "Hard Headed that couldn't be reached"

I argued and B*tched about how my coach just didn't " understand" me. He was having none of it. I was told to leave the room more times than I like to mention.

I never advanced far in the post season, but he always kept on me every year and practice. At the time if you asked he was not my favorite person.

Fast forward to after graduation and I'm in basic training for the US Army. - every difficulty or obstacle mental or physical I had To over come during my time of service I always heard is voice in my head from the wrestling room  "If you can do this, you can do anything. Normal people don't willingly put themselves through this."

I may not have been a great wrestler, but I like to tell people who don't know the sport that it helped me to be a better person and father.

"THANK YOU COACH BRUCE SHERIFF" RIP 

1 hour ago, tyquhp13 said:

When I wrestled in High School I was one of the "Uncoachables" or "Hard Headed that couldn't be reached"

I argued and B*tched about how my coach just didn't " understand" me. He was having none of it. I was told to leave the room more times than I like to mention.

I never advanced far in the post season, but he always kept on me every year and practice. At the time if you asked he was not my favorite person.

Fast forward to after graduation and I'm in basic training for the US Army. - every difficulty or obstacle mental or physical I had To over come during my time of service I always heard is voice in my head from the wrestling room  "If you can do this, you can do anything. Normal people don't willingly put themselves through this."

I may not have been a great wrestler, but I like to tell people who don't know the sport that it helped me to be a better person and father.

"THANK YOU COACH BRUCE SHERIFF" RIP 

And thank you for your service!  I'll take a wrestler protecting me any day of the week!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.