Team Rankings: IndianaMat Team Rankings-2A 12/13

decbell1

I don't think Hamilton Heights is getting enough credit for 15-1.

They beat us (Chatard) pretty handily. 57-20. We haven't seen Delta, Monrovia, or Owen Valley so I can only use common opponents to make the connections. 

Delta lost to Alexandria, Alexandria lost to North Putnam (Results not posted) and Chatard beat North Putnam 54-22. 

Also:

Monrovia beat Indian Creek 44-29 Chatard beat them 48-31. 

Monrovia beat North Putnam 69-12 Chatard 54-22

Similar story with Owen Valley: 

Owen Valley over NP 57-21
Owen Valley Over Indian Creek 48-24

Granted  this is using the transitive property a few times. It could come down to the way the teams matchup, but looking at common opponents I'm not sure #10 is the spot for the Huskies. 

I think team rankings are so hard to do. Especially because match-ups make such a difference. If you match up correctly, you can put up a big score against a good team or look like you got stomped against a team you were pretty close with. 

Results that don't have details make it more difficult. Even with details, it doesn't tell the whole story. Were kids out with COVID, the flu, injuries that they'll return from.

I know my team hasn't had the same line-up at an event yet due to some illness that seems to be keeping kids out for 5-8 days. We've been minus 4 starters at every event this year, just different ones each time. It cost us against Carmel, Zionsville, and Terre Haute South, matches we lost by 1 match going our way instead of the other. Those three in particular all came down to the last match each time. 

They're not perfect, and the transitive property  nearly never works the way you think. We beat Noblesville by a bunch last night because we match up with them well. They are not a bad team, but we're stronger where they are strong. We're less weak where they are weak. That can make for some lopsided scoring between two teams that are closer than it appears. 

All this to say, rankings are doing their job--generating discussion. Indianamat doesn't have the money (yet!) to just be bussing rankers to every corner of the state to watch teams match up (future project, Joe!) so they rely on our results being reported with details. We do better, rankings are better.

1 hour ago, Trojan Coach said:

They beat us (Chatard) pretty handily. 57-20. We haven't seen Delta, Monrovia, or Owen Valley so I can only use common opponents to make the connections. 

Delta lost to Alexandria, Alexandria lost to North Putnam (Results not posted) and Chatard beat North Putnam 54-22. 

Also:

Granted  this is using the transitive property a few times. It could come down to the way the teams matchup, but looking at common opponents I'm not sure #10 is the spot for the Huskies. 

Thank you for the kind words. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 11:06 AM, Trojan Coach said:

Also:

Delta and Hamilton Heights both beat Southport by almost identical scores, for whatever that's worth (not much in such an individual sport as this), but it does seem they would make a good matchup.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.