2 FS Tournament Qualifier is Back

WaltHarris

It appears the 2 tournament qualifier for Freestyle State is back: "All participants must compete in a minimum of 2 Local level Freestyle tournaments in order to compete at the State event."

Not looking to rehash the past debate.  Just would like to know the criteria for a waiver and who to contact about obtaining a waiver.  To say the debate on this topic last year was vigorous would be an understatement.  Lots of folks moved previously established plans in order to abide by the two tournament rule, only to have many wrestlers waive in at the last second.

The iswa flier does not provide any direction on criteria nor contact person for a waiver.  In order to avoid confusion, I would suggest criteria and contact for waivers be added to the flier now so that the transparent policy is well known and the playing field is level for all.

Let's not jump the gun....They have a few more monthes so Give them a shot to get on and answer the public's cry for some clarification before we run for the pitchforks...at the end of the day these are people doing there best to provide opportunities for our kids

waterpark is good excuse as long as you meet the requirements they set out for slide weight limits, otherwise they strap one of those "different color" bracelets on you to signify to the rest of the slide attendants that you may be a little too heavy to double ride the slide.............this is all what I have heard from others as a slim and fit guy like myself doesn't have this issue.

Any significance to the Central Regionals getting moved to MI and what city did it move to? Didn't seem to be a large IN participation.

Central Regional is on a rotational basis between Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan. Indiana kinda got a couple extra years when Michigan couldn't hold it.

Personally, I really do not care for the two qualifier rule.  But I understand it.  And I am willing to have my grandson and other club wrestlers abide by it.  However, just like last year the Indiana wrestling community is sitting here with notable ambiguity.

During the six available freestyle weekends, we also have Easter, USAW folkstyle nationals, viper pit, flonationals, etc.  Not to mentioned wrestlers participating in track and baseball.  I guess I did kind of rehash it there, sorry.  So it would just be good to get this waiver information out right now.

waterpark is good excuse as long as you meet the requirements they set out for slide weight limits, otherwise they strap one of those "different color" bracelets on you to signify to the rest of the slide attendants that you may be a little too heavy to double ride the slide.............this is all what I have heard from others as a slim and fit guy like myself doesn't have this issue.

I hate those colored bands.... it is profiling and profiling is wrong...

I don't eat at every buffet I pass, I don't enjoy the pot luck lunches at work and free nacho bars on a regular basis and I don't have a bag of beef jerky in my car at all times (wait the last couple may actually be true).  These band colors that signify "Fat Man Walking" are politically incorrect in this day and age.  Shouldn't I just be given the equal right to try to jam myself thru that slide tube just like any other paying person ? Who is with me ???? wait I mean who is with all the people that have this issue (not me according to my fun house mirror at home).  

• 1 month later...

This was posted to the ISWA web site a couple days ago: "

Freestyle State Qualification
By adminiswa Published February 22, 2016

Don’t forget that in order to compete at the ISWA Freestyle State tournament this May you must wrestle in a minimum of 2 local freestyle events.   There will be no exceptions to this qualification process."

So... no waivers, then?  Or could it be no waivers to participate in FS state, but one could still request a waiver for Fargo?

I would like to take the statement at it's face where it reads: "No exceptions."  But it is challenging do so after last year.  Not a complaint, but rather a trepidation after being burnt last year. 

This was posted to the ISWA web site a couple days ago: "

Freestyle State Qualification
By adminiswa Published February 22, 2016

Don’t forget that in order to compete at the ISWA Freestyle State tournament this May you must wrestle in a minimum of 2 local freestyle events.   There will be no exceptions to this qualification process."

So you have to actually compete in the events?  A wrestler just can not pay his $15 and ff?

I hate this rule.  I feel like it is hurting the kids that are looking to better themselves and wrestle in national events.  Why would we want to stay in state and wrestle mostly beginners in freestyle when we could be wrestling 5 to 6 matches in a national tournament.  Some of our kids are killing it on the national scene and now they have to take a step back to compete in local tournaments.  If it wasn't for schoolboy duals we would skip the state tournament all together.  For those of you guys that will argue that kids need to learn freestyle, don't worry we get more then enough training in our academy.  The matches in practice are much more beneficial then the few seconds the matches will take in these local tournaments we are being forced to wrestle in. 

Here is a look at what we are missing:

March 18-20:TOA Youth Showcase(also NCAA Championships included in this weekend tournament) or Rocky Mountain Nationals

March 25-27:Post Season Nationals or FloNationals

April 1-3rd: USA Nationals(ISWA national tournament should be an exception)

April 8-10: Reno Worlds or Middle School Duals(team Indiana's national team definitely should be an exception competing for our state) or AAU Tenn National duals

April 15-18: Heartland Duals (ISWA team Indiana, again definitely should be an exception)

April 22-24:Ohio Tournament of Champions

April 29-1st: Viper Pit Dual and Open

If there is an exception it should be competing in 2 or more of the bold tournaments.  Middle School duals and heartland duals are showcased in the ISWA magazine as team Indiana events, but if you represent the state of Indiana you may not be able to wrestle in freestyle state.  By the way I have posted on ISWA's site and they never respond to my post.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.