Team Race

IndyDog

That's because the NCAA uses 32-man brackets with full wrestlebacks and the top teams have their full teams there (more than 1/3 of D1 guys qualify).  If we had 3 classes with 32-man, full-wrestleback brackets in all 3 classes, then it would be equivalent.  If that's the format we had, the team champs would often be the same as the duals champs since all 14 guys would impact the team score for most good teams.  We'd need like 6 days, but I would have no problem saying winners of tournaments like that are the team champs.

Like I said, it's not apples to apples.  However, if a team had 3-4 national champion contenders, would they place really high (and potentially win) a team NCAA title? I know teams like Iowa, Minnesota, Penn State, etc get most of their team there and likely score too many points for this to happen.  But in a down year a team could rise up and win in a scenario like this.  

Did Penn State lose duals during their 4-Peat?  I'm pretty sure Minnesota beat Penn State in a dual.  So the system still isn't perfect.  

Did Penn State lose duals during their 4-Peat?  I'm pretty sure Minnesota beat Penn State in a dual.  So the system still isn't perfect.  

Penn State losses during 4 peat are as follows

2011- v.s. Iowa 13-22 and tied Minnesota 18-18

2012- v.s. Minnesota 14-23

2013- v.s Iowa 16-22

2014- v.s. Minnesota 17-18

Looks like they haven't finished unbeaten and untied since 1972. Found every years results for them on pennstatewrestlingclub.org

Penn State losses during 4 peat are as follows

2011- v.s. Iowa 13-22 and tied Minnesota 18-18

2012- v.s. Minnesota 14-23

2013- v.s Iowa 16-22

2014- v.s. Minnesota 17-18

Looks like they haven't finished unbeaten and untied since 1972. Found every years results for them on pennstatewrestlingclub.org

Unbeaten/untied is rare with the schedules these teams wrestle...neither MN nor IA were unbeaten/untied in any of those years...nor was OK St, the team that gave these two perhaps the most losses/ties in that stretch.  Yet those 4 teams (OK St, IA, MN, Penn St) were probably the best duals teams over that 4-year period.  My point was only that it is TOTALLY different to wrestle 32-man brackets involving more than 1/3 of all the wrestlers in a given division.  Your winner will always be one of the top couple duals teams because you need so many guys to score some points and/or nearly half of your team to be champs.

Your winner will always be one of the top couple duals teams because you need so many guys to score some points and/or nearly half of your team to be champs.

This is what is starting to happen here in Indiana.... top dual teams are also top individual scoring teams...  our top dual teams are sending 6-8 guys to state yearly now...

This is what is starting to happen here in Indiana.... top dual teams are also top individual scoring teams...  our top dual teams are sending 6-8 guys to state yearly now...

I think that this is 100% true. If you have 8 guys going to the show, you are going to be hard to beat in a dual meet.  

This is not my prediction. I used the rankings, bracket draws and power pole formulas and yes I do not get anything done at work durring wrestling season.

Penn-94

Cathedral-77

Merrillville-55

East Noble-55

Perry Meridian-54

Mater Dei-51

Yorktown-46

Ben Davis-46

New Palestine-46

Lowell-44

1. Who will win the team title?

The best dual meet team titles have already been decided. It's a shame the IHSAA doesn't recognize this as the way to crown the team title anymore but...

It has been proven over & over that the best dual meet team is not necessarily the best individual tournament team, but it's OK to take pride in both.

I like the idea of scoring points from sectionals to state for individual team points champion team. We have the class duals decided (just wish it was tweaked). Somehow we should figure a formula to combine dual results with individual tournament results and crown a champion.

I like the idea of scoring points from sectionals to state for individual team points champion team. We have the class duals decided (just wish it was tweaked). Somehow we should figure a formula to combine dual results with individual tournament results and crown a champion.

Nothing wrong with a dual  champion and a tournament champion.   Indiana gets that right.

The coaches' association gets it right, the IHSAA does not.

Thats a good point.  People take for granted the current dual state format.    My home state (Kansas),  has never had a dual state championship and even though their is interest, they cant get any collaboration between the state high school association and coaches.  For my two cents, the current format is much better than the old format and is totally irrelevant that its not supported by IHSAA.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.