IHSWCA TEAM STATE

tangarrray

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Team Duals last year, and it was an amazing experience. The atmosphere was great and the wrestling was superb.  This is an event that all wrestling fans need to attend at least once.

The system may have some flaws, but so far the product has been very good and will only get better with time.

The original IHSAA Team State Duals was an amazing experience and the atmosphere was great and the wrestling was superb. It was an event that all wrestling fans needed to attend at least once.

Maybe the IHSWCA should have put in the same effort to keeping Team State and working with the IHSAA to fix it so that both sides could somewhat agree.

It would be cool if the IHSWCA paid someone to promote the event. Not sure who could do that though. That person, if knowledgable and smart enough, could do some really neat things to promote the event that aren't being done right now.  Probably a long shot though.

We had met with a marketing firm last year before the first event but wanted to get the intial bones together of the meet before we jumped into that.  My greatest hope is someone among our coaching ranks can volunteer his time like the others on our board and help market this event as I can only head up so many committee's and still coach my team.  The success of our organization and the events we help put on relies on coaches who can sacrifice and help to improve our sport.

The original IHSAA Team State Duals was an amazing experience and the atmosphere was great and the wrestling was superb. It was an event that all wrestling fans needed to attend at least once.

Maybe the IHSWCA should have put in the same effort to keeping Team State and working with the IHSAA to fix it so that both sides could somewhat agree.

It was my understanding that the IHWCA did try and IHSAA wasn't budging, kind of like the bull headed boss that says "It's my way or the highway." I am very glad someone brought this together though.

It was my understanding that the IHWCA did try and IHSAA wasn't budging, kind of like the bull headed boss that says "It's my way or the highway." I am very glad someone brought this together though.

What killed it was the lack of coaches support in general. Teams were sending out JV's and FFts at the regional level. it was the mentality "we are not the favorites so lets just skip it"

We had met with a marketing firm last year before the first event but wanted to get the intial bones together of the meet before we jumped into that.  My greatest hope is someone among our coaching ranks can volunteer his time like the others on our board and help market this event as I can only head up so many committee's and still coach my team.  The success of our organization and the events we help put on relies on coaches who can sacrifice and help to improve our sport.

Tyson,

While the intentions are there you are missing the boat in many areas.  First off, a marketing firm, while not a bad idea is not going to get the results you would like. The wrestling community is small and the best bet would be someone within it that has connections to many fans via important mediums. Marketing a wrestling meet in the wrong mediums is a waste of money.

Secondly, marketing and promotion of an event like this shouldn't just be done a month in advance. There are people asking about the event now and very little information out there. The information that is available has to be searched for among 100's of thousand of messageboard posts. Quite simply, people rarely go to that extent to find the information they want. Promotion of an event, especially one during the holiday season, needs to be done way in advance.

Lastly, you get what you pay for. For some odd reason team state last year made about $10, but with the right promotion it would pay for itself very quickly.  This event is only two years old, it doesn't have the luster of the Traicoff or the Al Smith....so that means you need to get out and promote the event. That is especially true if you are waiting until a couple weeks before the event to start promoting it.

Have you asked anyone?

Tyson,

While the intentions are there you are missing the boat in many areas.  First off, a marketing firm, while not a bad idea is not going to get the results you would like. The wrestling community is small and the best bet would be someone within it that has connections to many fans via important mediums. Marketing a wrestling meet in the wrong mediums is a waste of money.

Secondly, marketing and promotion of an event like this shouldn't just be done a month in advance. There are people asking about the event now and very little information out there. The information that is available has to be searched for among 100's of thousand of messageboard posts. Quite simply, people rarely go to that extent to find the information they want. Promotion of an event, especially one during the holiday season, needs to be done way in advance.

Lastly, you get what you pay for. For some odd reason team state last year made about $10, but with the right promotion it would pay for itself very quickly.  This event is only two years old, it doesn't have the luster of the Traicoff or the Al Smith....so that means you need to get out and promote the event. That is especially true if you are waiting until a couple weeks before the event to start promoting it.

Joe,

Yes we met with the marketing firm the summer prior to the event so it wasn't a month before the event we discussed trying to market the event more aggressivly, and the reason we chose not to go with the firm was we wanted to try to do it internally once we got a good foundation for the event planned just like you mentioned so sounds like you are on the same page as the IHSWCA Joe...AWESOME.

Joe if you have some ideas or sudgestions we would love to have you come to some of our meetings and share with us what you think you could do.  Like I said our organization is built on our fellow coaches stepping forward to take a leadership roll and move our sport forward.

Yes the logistics of this event can be overwhelming and the coaches we currently have that have stepped forward to help run this event for the IHSWCA have done a outstanding job and I applaud them. 

If anyone out there in our coaching ranks is willing to step up and take the challange to help promote this event in the years to come now is the time to become involved.  Dec 8th we would love to see yea and share your ideas.

Here it is in a nutshell...trying to promote and market an event like this shouldn't be planned less than a month before the event.  You have four weeks with two of them filled with holidays to get information out to the masses. It is too late, plain and simple. There was an idea on the table in JULY of this year...then again you were reminded of it in October and both times it was pushed aside and put on hold. Fans and even media are starting to ask about this event and no one can seem to find information about it.  The boat is sailing away quickly.

Joe,

Yes we met with the marketing firm the summer prior to the event so it wasn't a month before the event we discussed trying to market the event more aggressivly, and the reason we chose not to go with the firm was we wanted to try to do it internally once we got a good foundation for the event planned just like you mentioned so sounds like you are on the same page as the IHSWCA Joe...AWESOME.

Joe if you have some ideas or sudgestions we would love to have you come to some of our meetings and share with us what you think you could do.  Like I said our organization is built on our fellow coaches stepping forward to take a leadership roll and move our sport forward.

Yes the logistics of this event can be overwhelming and the coaches we currently have that have stepped forward to help run this event for the IHSWCA have done a outstanding job and I applaud them. 

If anyone out there in our coaching ranks is willing to step up and take the challange to help promote this event in the years to come now is the time to become involved.  Dec 8th we would love to see yea and share your ideas.

I guess you just did.....it would seem that this should have been done (or the plan) this summer when those coaches weren't so busy with teaching and coaching.

Is Coach Weimer's idea about seeding all teams on the agenda for Sunday?

Here it is in a nutshell...trying to promote and market an event like this shouldn't be planned less than a month before the event.  You have four weeks with two of them filled with holidays to get information out to the masses. It is too late, plain and simple. There was an idea on the table in JULY of this year...then again you were reminded of it in October and both times it was pushed aside and put on hold. Fans and even media are starting to ask about this event and no one can seem to find information about it.  The boat is sailing away quickly.

Joe, what idea was presented?  I am not trying to play dumb but I don't recall any idea or person presenting a idea at any of our meetings to help promote this??  I am by no means a marketing guru but I know we have talented coaches in Indiana who are and I would love for someone to step up and help out.  Yes I agree to try to market this now would prob not result in much of a effect thats why I mentioned anyone willing to step up and accept the challenge to help promote for the event in the years to come I would hope they come to our meetings now so we can start the planning phases.

I didn't want to say anything until the details had been worked out but I have heard you had mentioned to someone about streaming the team draw, don't knowany details yet since this was something I heard through emails and not something that has been presented yet at one of our meetings, which I am hoping you would be able to attend and give us more details on how you wanted to do this..... so I love that idea and hope you can make it to share and we can kick around other ideas on this!!  More minds involved in our organization the better.

Once again open door policy we invite all to attend meetings to try to help make this event now and in the future the best it can be.

I agree.  I coached in the original series when Regional was at Muncie Fieldhouse and I loved it, and I also made the drive every year to Adams Central when the Regional was moved there.  I also attended the State Final Duals. 

There were many problems when the duals first started such as weight issues, matches on Wednesdays, travel, etc... But over time bugs were worked out and we ended with a great event.  I think the same thing can happen with the IHSWCA Team State Duals.

AJ as far as the wrestling goes I think the IHSWCA State Duals went off well, I think the things we need to work on to improve the event will be tweaks to the seeding maybe if the committee decide to go that route, and marketing of the event if we can find someone to help in that area.

As far as communication a Skype or google account is free and both have great video/voice services which would be easier for coaches to communicate across the state instead of having to drive an hour plus for a meeting. Just a friendly suggestion from one of the resident nerds.

Well not sure about change but if someone is willing to take a leadership roll the best course is to attend the meeting so we all can bounce ideas off of one another and come up with the best idea and all be on the same page.  Call me old school and I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way but its one thing for someone just to say we should do this, but if someone makes a effort to attend a meeting and say those same things and give more details then I am more inclined to think that person will follow through with it and be someone I could count on.  Their are always exceptions to this but in general that is my feeling.  So I am hoping to hear more about this idea you had this Sunday as i think you could bring alot to the table if your willing to do so.

It is a hassle to attend meetings but its is something I feel that we owe ourselves to attempt to produce the best product.  I am missing a family thanksgiving this Sunday also and my wife is not happy haha.  You know its got to be important for me to turn down food.....geez it takes alot of calories to keep this physique....

fabio that is something me and Danny have discussed and i think it would be a great idea.  I am trying to introduce more technology into our IHSWCA as I have created a google account for storage of our Unite mags and all clinic files with hope to expand on this in the future and we have a coach who has stepped up to help to update our IHSWCA website. 

Here it is in a nutshell

Tskin "Joe join the darkside"

Y2 "Tyson, No"

It is closer to this

Y2: I have a great idea

IHSWCA: Ok

Y2(months later): I have a great idea

IHSWCA(months later): You know that idea you had...

Y2: Yeah this was an undertaking that would take a little time and planning that I would rather do during a slow time of the year, not in between family holidays and 6 wrestling meets. Maybe next year.....

It is closer to this

Y2: I have a great idea

Y2(months later): I have a great idea

IHSWCA(months later): You know that idea you had...

Y2: Yeah this was an undertaking that would take a little time and planning that I would rather do during a slow time of the year, not in between family holidays and 6 wrestling meets. Maybe next year.....

Well if what you say is true and you are wanting to join up I hope you can make it to the meetings so we can start to plan for next year.  In my opinion waiting till the summer might even be to late if we are wanting to do this right.  Don't be afraid we will be gentle and ease you into things lol

I don't have a dog in this fight since I am not a coach, but man, this is some of the most passive-aggressive back and forth BS I have seen in a long time.  If you are interested in being paid to do the marketing Joe, just say so.

We're all on the same team guys

Your target market is wrestling fans.  There are no better wrestling fans than the parents of the kids who are there week in and week out seeing what the kids go through, and are able to appreciate the dedication and talent when they see it.  This is the "audience" you want to appeal to.

Here's my two cents -- you can go the internet route for marketing, promote it on this website, etc.  But you're preaching to the choir -- users on IndianaMat are already in the know about what's going on, who's who among teams and wrestlers.  You need to get the word out to the wrestlers and parents of wrestlers about the event.

Now, if you just tell Johnny DoubleLeg that there's a great event and there will be great teams there he will be "ho hum".  In my humble opinion is that you need to create a simple program that has bios of the wrestlers, the coaches, the teams.  Make a simple template for bios and photos, and ask all the coaches to fill it out.  If kids have a crazy nickname, put it on there.  When I watch the Little League world series on TV, they make it more interesting by telling me that Joey Spitball's favorite music is Lady Gaga and he likes to whittle tikis in his sparetime.  Tell us WHY WE SHOULD CARE about the matchup at 126 lbs for the 2A quarterfinals cause those are two studs that will compete.  Besides being a great souvenir for the wrestlers and their families, this will bring in the more casual observers who aren't familiar with most of the teams.

Good luck, and I plan to attend this year for the first time, can't wait to see the excitement

July is too late, but you are doing all the planning for promotion for this year's event on a Sunday in December.....ok that makes sense.

Joe,

No we are just working out logistics for the IHSWCA event and will be doing the same things we did last year for the most part so no new planning for this years event other that small details to be ironed out but  would love for you to come so we can start to work on next years event.  You and I both agree this years event is already to close to try to market it in a big way so I am sorry if you misunderstood but would love to sit down with yea and start working on the future of the event and also here more details on what your plan was for streaming the bracket draw if you are still interested in doing so.  If not then that is ok but i do want to still start working on next years plans now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.