Purdue Black and Gold Matches this Saturday

Drooke

"I'm not going to bash Cashe, but what has he really done since his freshman year and his unexpected all-America finish?"...

I know you're really smart, so why don't you identify the "bash".  If you read my earlier posts I think that the two are good for one another and even went as far as saying we've not heard the last of Cashe. I posed a question that was food for thought and create discussion, so again if you can't deal with that, it's your issue to handle.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you're really smart, so why don't you identify the "bash".  If you read my earlier posts I think that the two are good for one another and even went as far as saying we've not heard the last of Cashe. I posed a question that was food for thought and create discussion, so again if you can't deal with that, it's your issue to handle.

The bash is highlighted above...

To a signficant degree, I think the Kyle vs Cashe match speaks to the mental and physical grind that is wrestling in general, and 4-5 years of college wrestling in particular. I don't have statistics, but I bet the burnout rate is high on former state champs who didn't measure up to expected potential. It certainly takes talent to succeed at a Division I level, but it also takes mental toughness and desire. I can only imagine the dedication needed to monitor your weight/diet coupled with attending class while all your friends are out eating, drinking, and partying.  Also, there's notoriety in being a Division I wrestler at a program like Iowa.  I'm going to venture to guess the spotlight isn't so bright for Purdue wrestlers. In their shoes, I'd have to think to myself if it was all worth it? I know what I chose when I was 18.

Kudos to both men.

Please try a similar quote on your spouse, and report back the results!  ;D

""I'm not going to bash my wife, but what has she really done since that wild time on our honeymoon?"...

Honey -- it WASN'T a bash!!

Wrestling a kid tough 4-5 years ago doesnt really mean alot. I hope he has a good season and squeaks through but he is gonna have to wrestle leaps and bounds better than he has the past few seasons thats if he gets the starting job over Ayersman.

Oh yeah? At university nationals this spring is 4 years ago?

Just so people are aware, last year Cashe had a serious staph infection that put him in a hospital for 2 weeks and then he couldn't walk on his own for 6 weeks after that. He had his knee scoped in January. So, he wrestled at Big Tens with around 10 matches under his belt and never never being able to put more than 2 weeks of solid training together without injury.

So, before we all jump on the Ayersman bandwagon (who didn't place at the MSU Open yesterday losing to 2 people I've never heard of), realize wrestle offs are overrated by most people in determining who the starter should be. You see a guy every day in practice and you can keep it close.

I wrestled at Purdue and wish all Boilers the best. But, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Cashe has proven numerous times he can compete with the best in the country. A wrestle off win doesn't mean crap.

Your first paragraph sounds like a lot of excuses. If he was as injured as you claim, which I don't dispute, why not look into the possibility of a medical redshirt? He didn't and chose to wrestle, so in critiquing his performance, he didn't do very well.

Kyle went 3-2 and DNP, small serving sample, I'm not ready to say he'll be an All-American, but I'm also not ready to say the house is falling and give up on him. Also, since wrestle offs are not a clear, objective way of determining the starter, I'm curious what method you prefer. It just seems that if 2 wrestlers are of equal talent and are then given the opportunity to engage in competition, with the winner being elected the starter, it's pretty cut and dry. But as you so eloquently put it, "it don't mean crap".

Also, since 08/09, who has Cashe beaten that "you've heard of"? He may have beaten a who's who of ranked wrestlers and I'm just not aware of it.

Your first paragraph sounds like a lot of excuses. If he was as injured as you claim, which I don't dispute, why not look into the possibility of a medical redshirt? He didn't and chose to wrestle, so in critiquing his performance, he didn't do very well.

Cashe has already taken a regular redshirt. In order to be granted a medical redshirt and 6th year of eligibility he would have to prove how injuries have had a major impact on TWO years of wrestling. Basically he would "need" to suffer another injury this year that affects a majority of the season in order to be able to get his 6th year of eligibility.

Not that I have a dog in this fight anymore I will inject my two cents. Cashe' beat some guy from Minnesota twice in the Big Ten Tournament name Dardannes and then lost in the round of twelve at the NCAA Tournament where Dardannes placed.

Having an All American in the room has a big impact on the Team as it forces others to raise their game to compete at that same level, seeing Kyle win a match over Cashe' is evidence of that. This is a great situation for Purdue as they have two young men who can compete at that next level which in turn should carry over to the rest of the Team.

Cashe has already taken a regular redshirt. In order to be granted a medical redshirt and 6th year of eligibility he would have to prove how injuries have had a major impact on TWO years of wrestling. Basically he would "need" to suffer another injury this year that affects a majority of the season in order to be able to get his 6th year of eligibility.

Didn't he only wrestle parts of the last 2 years due to injury? I could look but my couch is comfortable and I just don't want to Google, but off of memory I think he had mid 30's as far as matches go his freshman year and maybe that same number the past 2 years combined. It could also be part of what an earlier poster stated (Vito P), college wrestling is a grind and tests your mental fortitude, perhaps he's not interested in a 6th year of wrestling. 6 years of college wouldn't have been so bad in retrospect, but throwing cutting weight and getting beat up on a daily basis, and I'm not sure I'd sign up for that.

First, a medical redshirt was looked at as a possibility because Cashe did miss significant time during his redshirt year with injury. But, it would have been a gamble.

Quality wins since 08-09: Nikki Triggas AA, James Nicholson AA, Chris Dardanes AA, Zach Horan AA to name a few.

Regarding Wrestle offs, I believe it is the coach's responsibility to choose the line up that gives his team the best chance to win, like every other sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.