most impressive wrestler at state finals

ikillbambi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are 2 young men that IMPRESSED me:

170 lb - Jake Reed, Muncie Southside, finished 4th at SS, got a good draw and made it count with (2) first period falls on Friday night and Saturday morning, went on and finished 4th at STATE, unranked coming in. Came in under the radar, left on the BIG SCREEN. GREAT JOB JAKE.

285 lb - Joe Garland, Rushville, finished 4 at SS, wrestled under the lights to finish 2nd in State. Came in ranked #18 in State, left #2.  Very impressive.

Nick Crume gave up 3 points all weekend (one was a full nelson).  I would say that is impressive.  Especially in the 126 pound weight class to be able to ride that well and not let people come out from underneath.

Coach Red's shades were impressive as well.  Impressive you ask?  Did you see anybody else there that could pull those off...me either.

Well obviously it's not your mouth...

Did you say "It will be a tech fall or a pin"?

LOL... I did say that based on the previous two blow outs. Davis had an outstanding tournament... I had him getting to the final against Micic. But this might be the first time I've heard a wrestler refered to as "the most impressive" in a losing effort. I'm sure the next match between the two will be much anticipated.....

LOL... I did say that based on the previous two blow outs. Davis had an outstanding tournament... I had him getting to the final against Micic. But this might be the first time I've heard a wrestler refered to as "the most impressive" in a losing effort. I'm sure the next match between the two will be much anticipated.....

Then I suggest you admit to your audience that you were wrong...

The most impressive wrestler this year to me was Cody Handley the kid wrestled with a broken hand for most the year then tears his MCL with 35 seconds in the finals at semi-state holds on to win it 9-6(i believe) then instead of sitting out this past weekend and possibly blowing his knee out goes out wrestles his heart out and left it all on the mat with a 6th place finish(amazing seeing how many kids "faked" injuries to get in state or move on in the tournament) really wish he would have walked in at 100% differently think he could have wrestled under the lights........Great kid and wish him the best with his future

Lots of impressive feats at state, I'm biased but my two cents goes for Kalob Salkill of South Spencer. Came in a relative unknown with a good record, ranked 19th in the state at 195 without the coaches sending in any information on him and finished 4th. Outstanding match in quarter finals Saturday morning picking up the fall over Ricks in 2nd period. First place winner for South Spencer, which has only fielded wrestling since 1992.

Lots of impressive feats at state, I'm biased but my two cents goes for Kalob Salkill of South Spencer. Came in a relative unknown with a good record, ranked 19th in the state at 195 without the coaches sending in any information on him and finished 4th. Outstanding match in quarter finals Saturday morning picking up the fall over Ricks in 2nd period. First place winner for South Spencer, which has only fielded wrestling since 1992.

Was Kalob 5th in the sectional last year?

I think it was pretty impressive that molloy rolled his ankle in the quarters and was still able to win it. Also I think the most impressive wrestler was Sliga, what a monster.

Also took out a very tough Matthew Mastison from Evansville Harrison on Friday night. A great weekend for Mr Davis!

I can't say that he was the most impressive at State but Norman Oglesby from Ben Davis had a great tournament this year.  For you folks that didn't stick around he lost 3-1 in a match with Garland on Friday night that seemed to take half an hour to complete.  Congrats to you Joe Garland for a great performance as well this weekend.

The cat is out of the bag though now.  After seeing this young kid Oglesby go through regionals and semi state, I can't wait to see what he will do for the next two years.  Good luck in the near future Norman.

Dont know whether it would be called most impressive, but what about Mitch Sliga's teammate Seth Riley..Was not even ranked all year and had Massongale on his back and winning before he was stuck also winning his match for 3rd before getting stuck, anyway what a run and finishing 4th.

he had a great tourney. But can't hold a lead

Your boy did great but let's get real that was some of the worse reffing I have ever seen! How many times was salk pinned and the ref didn't call it?  And where is his shot defence or a shot period?  Let's talk about sliga at 195# if anyone!

Your boy did great but let's get real that was some of the worse reffing I have ever seen! How many times was salk pinned and the ref didn't call it?  And where is his shot defence or a shot period?  Let's talk about sliga at 195# if anyone!

Said MY two cents...Everyone in the state knew Sliga was winning 195...very impressive performance in the finals, kid is a beast!  Now, you can have a bad attitude if you want, but there were 2 refs that didn't think Salkill was pinned.  As far as that goes, where was Rick's throw defence?  Was a great back and forth match between 2 outstanding wrestlers, but it went the way it went.  We've never wrestled against Benton Central before that, but I honestly would like to congratulate you and your wrestlers for a great season and finishing on the podium, and bect of luck in the future.

Out of non-champions, i would say Hugo Perez.....started season as  a 14 seed in the NC semi state.....only losses to Lecount/Martsloff/lykins.......takes out Hartman/Moss/Denton/Snyder/lile.....not bad for a kid that started late 8th grade and has done "0" summer wrestling.....just think if he had....he def turned heads this week

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.