Tournament Team Scoring

indyt

Can someone please give me a better explanantion as to why the IHSAA does not score the first round of the semi state and the first round of the state.  I understand what the IHSAA did by not scoring until the quarters in the sectional due to a team winning by getting more ffts.  The notion that every level should be the same is unreal.  We are wrestling matches but not keeping score.  This is the answer to dropping team state.  Crown a team that may or may not have scored as many points as another team.  At some point the IHSAA has to listen to wrestling people to make wrestling decisions.  So we are wrestling but not keeping points.  Who has heard of a sporting event without keeping score.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that the IHSWCA has always been scoring the state tournament with Friday night included. It never crossed my mind that we would have to throw Friday out.

How does that work then with scoring 8 places?

I assume we would still just give 1 point to each wrestler that won Friday night (since they would be guaranteed 8th place).

Weird.

Just another point of how the IHSAA does not care about the kids or the sports. And not just in wrestling but across all sports. All they care about is what is going in their pockets. If a wrestler wins a match, then they should be earning team points, at this level every point counts for a team.

According to the Winter bulletin they should score every match at state

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick%20resources/Winter%20Bulletin.pdf

Scoring

Individual and team scoring shall be decided according to Rule 9 in the current Wrestling Rules. Six places shall be awarded

at the sectional. CONTINUING FROM 2009‐10 – Team scoring in the sectional shall begin at the quarter‐finals level and not

before. Only six places shall be awarded at the regional and semi‐state levels. Scoring at the Regional and Semi‐State level

will begin at the round of eight.

This makes the team championship so tainted.  Whether we win it or not,  someone is going to get screwed.  Lets see, no wrestlebacks to make sure the best kids are going which helps with deep teams.  No points being scored for team at every round.  This tournament is so much based on luck of the draw and so many other factors such as scoring issues we are discussing that I really dont know how anyone could say that whatever team wins state this weekend was the IHSAA Team State Champions.  It could really hurt teams with many kids making it thru which is a sign of a good team. 

Joe, I hope you are right.  I asked Faulkens to address it and I did get a return saying he would look into it.  I know the bulletin says that but I specifically said the state tournament to him and he did not tell me it was being scored.  .  I also know he said he wanted every level to follow the same format as far as scoring.  But, according to the bulletin, first round should score.  It should have scored at the semi state as well but for some reason they came up with the new scoring system.  I am just hoping for clarification.  I emailed him again so if I get info I will post it.

IHSAA pulls another rabbit out of the hat ::)

So coaches were never given input, and this goes against the print in the Winter Bulletin...

I know someone will already, but would someone please post the final tally with, and without, the Friday night rounds being scored so we can compare when this is all over?

I'm just using PM as a reference point right now. But they had a chance to come out of Friday night with a team score of anywhere between 0-35 (pins, advancement, and 8th place points). Now they only have a chance to score 0-7. Again I'm just using PM cause I know they have seven wrestlers and it shows my point on how it is bad for any team in the race for 1st place this weekend.

It would be great it one of these days we actually received a rational explanation or some of these decisions that are made.  I know its asking a lot.  Seems like sometimes they make a decision based on what" looks" to be the standard (in this case same as sectionals) rather than actually analyzing the situation for the best choice.

This tournament is so much based on luck of the draw and so many other factors such as scoring issues we are discussing that I really dont know how anyone could say that whatever team wins state this weekend was the IHSAA Team State Champions.

How can any team say they are Team State Champions this season with anything else? You can't use a regular season tournament (IHSWCA Duals) to declare an IHSAA Team State Champion. 

This is the hand we have been dealt and will have to deal with it....for now.  Obviously the old, team-format was better.  We need to work to get that back.  I am hopeful that the IHSWCA Duals is a success and helps bring back the Team State tournament. 

By not counting the Friday night matches in scoring, the IHSAA is essentially treating that round like a pigtail round. That is just plain sad and stupid.....

I am a fan of the State Duals series, but I think that this could be just as exciting if it is done properly.

Fabio,

I grew up with wrestling when the state champinship was scored in the individual tournament scoring style.  It was so exciting to me to see the scores scroll on the scoreboard and the jumbo trans....  Looking through the bracket and finding key matches that will effect the team scoring made the matches more intense because even more was riding on the match.  It was very fun and exciting.

If we have lost the duals, I hope that we can find a way to bring back that excitement and intense atmosphere that I enjoyed for so many years. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.