FLEEING THE MAT!!??

isaiah11

Over the past few years i have seen several calls for fleeing the mat and all seem to be different. For example one time a wrestler grambys out of bounds, another was stepping out when one of his legs was in control but turned to face the other wrestler. Just wandering the actual verbage!

This is actually not called enough.

Rule 7-3-1

...going out of the wrestling area or forcing an opponent out of the wrestling area, by either wrestler at any time as a means of avoiding wrestling, is a technical violation. Both wrestlers should make every effort to stay inbounds. When the referee feels that either wrestler has failed to make every effort to stay inbounds, the offending wrestler shall be penalized. There can be no technical violation of fleeing the mat if near-fall points have been earned.

This is actually not called enough.

Rule 7-3-1

...going out of the wrestling area or forcing an opponent out of the wrestling area, by either wrestler at any time as a means of avoiding wrestling, is a technical violation. Both wrestlers should make every effort to stay inbounds. When the referee feels that either wrestler has failed to make every effort to stay inbounds, the offending wrestler shall be penalized. There can be no technical violation of fleeing the mat if near-fall points have been earned.

If only every fan would read the rule book.....

its better to go out of bounds then get taken down, playing the edge is a skill, wrestling on the edge is a skill going out of bounds is not a violation its strategy, I played the line for all its worth, its not avoiding wrestling its outsmarting ones opponent and that is the definition of wrestling.

I hate myself when I yell it on saturdays haha

It is a strategy. Good officiating should prevent it though. That is part of the reason they re-worded a line in the rule book this year allowing the official to stop the match near the line if there is no action.

Just saying fleeing the mat usually isnt so and it is an important skill. When one feels less confident against a wrestler who may be better on his feet he should play the edge not run off the mat but scramble on the edge and thats a skill high schoolers need to get better at because in college its really important and by always assuming that a wrestler should be called for fleeing it is really not correct and a match I witnessed this year couldve had two according to the rule but it was a real good job in not calling either and it turned out to be a great overtime battle.

I saw a really rough call last night...

Ultimate tie-breaker.  Wrestler A scored first and is on bottom.  Wrestler A sits out and they eventually end up scrambling close to the edge.  A end's in his base out of bounds with B on top.  Keep in mind A isn't lunging or running out of bounds to avoid wrestling and B is just riding (no reason to call stalling though).  The official calls fleeing the mat on A with :22 left on the clock and B wins.

I saw a really rough call last night...

Ultimate tie-breaker.  Wrestler A scored first and is on bottom.  Wrestler A sits out and they eventually end up scrambling close to the edge.  A end's in his base out of bounds with B on top.  Keep in mind A isn't lunging or running out of bounds to avoid wrestling and B is just riding (no reason to call stalling though).  The official calls fleeing the mat on A with :22 left on the clock and B wins.

Were A's coaches yelling "Get out of bounds!", "Get a fresh start!", "Look where you're at!", "Castle!", or anything like these that would make the official feel that the wrestler intentially went out of bounds?

Were A's coaches yelling "Get out of bounds!", "Get a fresh start!", "Look where you're at!", "Castle!", or anything like these that would make the official feel that the wrestler intentially went out of bounds?

I think when officials hear the coach yelling these things they use it as justification to make the fleeing call.  And yes I understand the rules states that both wrestlers have to make every attempt to stay in bounds but they are also required to continually try to score points.  There are some situations where either 1 or both wrestlers cant score on the edge of the mat and "getting a fresh start" actually helps both wrestlers. 

The rule book states that both wrestlers shall make every effort to remain inbounds, we have people saying it was a great match, and the coaches are yelling, oaises, castle, get a fresh start, head for the border, taco bell, and so on.

And know where your at, shoot him out get a fresth start. These are all examples of fleeing the mat, or avoiding wrestling to avoide  being scored on. When we do penalize the wrestler, the coach will say where else could he have gone?

And I respond, in bounds, and also sometimes it is good wrestling to take a chance on getting called for the flee, for a 1 point penalty, instead of 2 points for a take down, or reversal, or better yet the official not calling it all. When they get to the edge we have to ask. What took us to the edge and call it accordingly.

i know in the NCAA if you flee its no longer a guarenteed point, it is considered stalling. So if you flee and you already have been dinged for stalling you give up a point. Dunno if this is a better solution or not but its something different

That sounds fair, a warning first. The worst is when a guy gets ran out of bounds and then he gets called for fleeing the mat!

Or a wrestler is defending a double, goes out why going through normal progression of shot defense and gets hit w/ it. Mr. Ref, we were wrestling in the normal elements of the match!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.