Re: IHSWCA Spring Clinic with 4x NCAA AA and 2x National Champ Braumon Creightton

With the IHSWCA looking to gain support from the high school coaches in Indiana, it comes as a surprise to me that Braumon Creighton, a D2 star currently living in California, would be the choice for the annual Spring Clinic.  With the cost to fly him to Indiana, put him up in a hotel, feed him, etc., wouldn't it be a more logical decision to choose one of our own Indiana stars for this clinic.  Angel Escobedo, Andrew Howe, Alex Tsirtsis, Bryce Hasseman, Reece Humphrey, etc. all seem to be better options than this guy in terms of not only transportation costs, but also in sparking interest among Indiana coaches.  What about the staffs of some of our in-state academies, RWA, CIA, Humphrey, etc.?  Couldn't they put this on?  Anyone else think that this choice of clinician is a head-scratcher in terms of both cost and relevance to Indiana wrestling?

wouldn't it be a more logical decision to choose one of our own Indiana stars for this clinic.  Angel Escobedo, Andrew Howe, Alex Tsirtsis, Bryce Hasseman, Reece Humphrey, etc. all seem to be better options than this guy in terms of not only transportation costs, but also in sparking interest among Indiana coaches.  

The Olympic Team Trials being April 21st and 22nd  mean most of these guys are busy this year for the Spring Clinic on the 20th.

Thank you for answering that question Matt M, you are 100% correct....as well as most college coaches out a the Olympic Trials that day. 

I have seen Braumon myself, and wanted to share what he does, and has to say with others.  My thought in bringing him out was to bring a great message and some great ideas to others.  I try to bring in coaches I have seen before, and I know for sure have something to offer. 

Trying to stick with the same weekend as years prior, and not conflict with ISWA weekends, or Indy 500 weekend, and all the other things that take place in busy lives.

I appreciate the suggestions up top, as always my email is open to anyone: dstruck@gcs.k12.in.us

RegionRoyalty --  Please share your real name with us, so I know what perspective you are coming from.  I don't know if you are a head coach, middle school coach or the grandmother of a wrestler.  One piece of sound and positive reasoning surrounding our selection of Mr. Creighton has already been offered by MattM.  My question to you is, "why not Braumon Creighton?"  Many coaches in Indiana have seen the list of Indiana clinicians/wrestlers that you have offered.  We may well host a clinic in the future with an "Indiana" slant toward Indiana clinicians as we recognize they have a lot to offer, but we thought it would be productive and refreshing to bring someone new in for our spring clinic.  You say it would be "logical" to bring in an Indiana clinician.  What would be logical about this at all?  This makes me think that indeed you are not a coach at all as you don't seem to understand the importance and necessity of seeking outside perspectives and exploring new technique from other regions of our country.  I, personally, look forward to seeing and hearing what Mr. Creighton has to offer.  If you (RegionRoyalty) would like to have some positive input into future clinic formats and clinician selections, please share your name and e-mail address with me, and I would be happy to speak with you on the finer points of clinic planning, preparation and logistics.

Trent McCormick

tmccormick@yorktown.k12.in.us

school phone:  765-759-2535

Creighton is a great clinician, a great guy, has some good stuff, and is well on his way to even more success.  He is a die hard student of wrestling and coaching, and rubs elbows with the best of them.  He has the accolades to back it up and his most recent Creighton School of Wrestling Camp features 5 National Champs in him, Gerry Abas, Tony Davis,  Mauricio Wright, and Jordan Leen.  Check out his promo video here:

Coached by one of the best in Coach Denny as a 4x AA and 2x NC at UNO, he may not be well known in Indiana but EVERYONE in California knows him.  I'll take that.  With Creighton fresh from the Olympic Training Center, AGAIN, I think it was a perfect choice by Struck and the IHSWCA to bring him in. We're fortunate enough to have him anyway as he would probably be out at the Olympic Trials himself in some capacity.  An out-of-state clinician will do just as much as a homegrown clinician will - and in some cases even more - regardless of logistics.  It's up to us as coaches to apply the same principles we try to instill in our wrestler: "It's not how much time you put in but more so what you put into that time".  In an effort to progress as a state we can and should learn something from everyone, and Creighton is up there with the best.

Trent,

What if I told you that I were a grandparent on a fixed income that was asked to pay $300 dollars for the Scholastic Duals this weekend when there is a guy out of Evansville putting together a team and charging only $87.  However, for the extra $213 I do get 2 nights in a Super 8 room that I have to share with other kids, and a couple of meals.  Maybe some of the few thousand dollars that is going to be paid to the West Coast Kenny Chertow for the Annual Spring Clinic could help a poor old fella like me defray some of the cost for our state's best underclassmen.  Just a thought!

Trent,

What if I told you that I were a grandparent on a fixed income that was asked to pay $300 dollars for the Scholastic Duals this weekend when there is a guy out of Evansville putting together a team and charging only $87.  However, for the extra $213 I do get 2 nights in a Super 8 room that I have to share with other kids, and a couple of meals.  Maybe some of the few thousand dollars that is going to be paid to the West Coast Kenny Chertow for the Annual Spring Clinic could help a poor old fella like me defray some of the cost for our state's best underclassmen.  Just a thought!

Go with the Evansville Team then.

We have committee's set up to work on everything.  Not sure what the animosity about this clinician is, but coaches do pay to come into this clinic (they pay for the clinician, not the kids). 

As I volunteer my time I encourage others to get into the volunteer mode.  I invite you to get involved in volunteering with us.  Until then we will keep doing the best we can, as always.

Thank you for those that support what we do.  You are appreciated.

if you need anything my email is dstruck@gcs.k12.in.us

With the IHSWCA looking to gain support from the high school coaches in Indiana, it comes as a surprise to me that Braumon Creighton, a D2 star currently living in California, would be the choice for the annual Spring Clinic.  With the cost to fly him to Indiana, put him up in a hotel, feed him, etc., wouldn't it be a more logical decision to choose one of our own Indiana stars for this clinic.  Angel Escobedo, Andrew Howe, Alex Tsirtsis, Bryce Hasseman, Reece Humphrey, etc. all seem to be better options than this guy in terms of not only transportation costs, but also in sparking interest among Indiana coaches.  What about the staffs of some of our in-state academies, RWA, CIA, Humphrey, etc.?  Couldn't they put this on?  Anyone else think that this choice of clinician is a head-scratcher in terms of both cost and relevance to Indiana wrestling?

With the experience that is noted on the clinician, Creighton's resume I am certain to say that he is more than qualified. As Matt states it seems as if all the wrestlers that you mentioned seems to be a little busy at the moment. I have been attending the IHSWCA Spring Clinic since I have been involved in coaching in Indiana and I have always taken good technique, practice plans or ideas away from the clinic,needless to say,  I would be doing the coaches association a disservice if I had not comment of the situation. Regardless, of the "guest clinician" I have always learned something that has made me a better coach. If the cost is an issue I am for sure that some of them were deferred by coaches paying memberships dues, fundraising etc........ Many of the academies that I know of maybe attending National Events with their athletes......I am attending this year's clinic and I am sure that it will be a great one.............. 8)

Danny and Trent,

Don't let the negative response bother you. When I was an officer and we brought in some great high school coaches to the clinics I was asked by one coach " what am I going to learn from a high school coach?"

The answer is a lot can be learned.

The high profile name guys are not always the best to get great information from.

I like the high school coach parts of the clinics and hearing from wrestling coaches we may not be so used to hearing about.

If you think it cost too much and is not worth you time then don't come.

Once the trials are over then maybe we can get some of these guys mentioned to be part of our fall clinic or spring clinic next year.

I'm all for giving back to our own home grown kids. Hopefully we can work them into future clinics.

I look forward to maybe getting some new ideas from the spring clinic this year - and I'm sure I will.

The key to learning is keeping an open mind.

Coach Harmon:

You are very correct in what you posted.  The IHSWCA does a great job in putting together some of the better clinics and getting great people in to do them.  Danny great job on getting a clinician that we can all learn from.  We as coaches understand that we do have to do the job of learning from others.  I appreciate all of the time that is put into putting these clinics on.

Concerning the statement that Coach Struck made:  We all volunteer to do this.  All of us that are a part of this organization donate a number of our own hours time to accomplish the goals of the coaches association.  It is never easy but we do the best that we can to provide a great organization to the coaches in the state of Indiana.  If you would like to join the association and put in the time to volunteer to help in all that the IHSWCA does please feel free to contact me:

Trent R. Staggs

Sec./Tres. of the IHSWCA

email: staggt@msdmail.net

Martinsville High School

Head Wrestling Coach

This seems to be the key issue that so many are having.  When someone simply asks, "Is there a better way?" they are met with hypersensitivity and scornful responses.  Nothing can be accomplished by any organization with that attitude.

Region Royalty-

I'm the "guy out of Evansville".  I want to make it 100% perfectly clear that the value of the event the IHSWCA team gets versus the value of the event the I put the renegades team together for is quite simply not comparable.  The IHSWCA team gets transportation, meals, and much better gear.  I have been involved in this event for 10 years as a member of the IHSWCA team staff and they do an outstanding job with this event.  The experience your grandson will gain from this weekend will be invaluable for him in upcoming years.  Its a shame that you see it as such a burden.  Maybe you should encourage him to give up his spot to someone else who would appreciate the opportunity a little more.  As far as the renengade teams, our goal is to make the trip as inexpensive as possible.  That cost doesnt not include any transportation, food, hotels, and very little gear.  We purposely do not want to compete with the IHSWCA teams in anyway, or take any of their thunder.  Those teams are made up of the best our state has to offer and they deserve to be in the spotlight. (by the way, Team Indiana is also the returning National Champions of this event!)

I want to personally apoligize to ANY and ALL of the IHSWCA members who have worked hard on the IHSWCA Teams.  I in no way meant for this comparison to happen.  I guess this is what we get for trying to help fill out the field of teams to improve the quality of the event and give more Indiana kids the chance to compete and get better.

This seems to be the key issue that so many are having.  When someone simply asks, "Is there a better way?" they are met with hypersensitivity and scornful responses.  Nothing can be accomplished by any organization with that attitude.

I see your point to a degree.  However, it seems that some posters or media members on this particular site seem to consistently ask "Is there a better way?" in less than productive ways.  I do appreciate the fact that Region Royalty actually provided a suggestion or alternative instead of the usual "this isn't good"  or "You're too late" or "Why are we wasting our time?".

I am interested in hearing what Coach Creighton has to offer.  Some of the best information I have ever received in a clinic came from a small school assistant coach who was just a tremendously devoted student of his sport.  It doesn't have to be the #1 wrestler in the nation to be worthwhile to listen to.  You did provide a wish list that the association can look at going into next year's clinic. 

I am intrigued with your suggestion of the academies.  Since they are a business, they may hesitate to offer their information to a wide audience like that.  Might be bad for business.  Maybe not.

I think a lot of the issue is that the IHSWCA is bringing in a clinician that costs probably $1500-2000 for about 40 coaches, while the scholastic duals team is paying $300 for a dual tournament held in our state.  You have another person charging $87 and another person charging $20 for entry when it should be $35.  Here is the breakdown as I would have it figured.

Total Per kid

Entry 1000 35.71

Singlet 1960 70

Hotel 700 25

Food 840 30

Other Gear 1120 40

Total 5620 200.71

There is $100 charged to what I believe is "transportation."  This trip "retail" should be around $200, not $300. 

I've always really enjoyed both the Fall and the Spring Clinics.  Any opportunity that the Coach's Association provides for improvement is awesome.  I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, or if it is an issue with anyone else, but I at times have trouble taking days off to attend the clinics.  Would it be possible to start conducting the clinics starting on Friday evenings and during the days on Saturday?  I think this has been brought up before, and there was a rational for not having it on these days, but I just cannot remember what it is.  Let me know what you guys think........

Eric Myers

South Adams

I've always really enjoyed both the Fall and the Spring Clinics.  Any opportunity that the Coach's Association provides for improvement is awesome.  I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, or if it is an issue with anyone else, but I at times have trouble taking days off to attend the clinics.  Would it be possible to start conducting the clinics starting on Friday evenings and during the days on Saturday?  I think this has been brought up before, and there was a rational for not having it on these days, but I just cannot remember what it is.   Let me know what you guys think........

Eric Myers

South Adams

The reasoning for the fall clinic was because many coaches also coach football.  So doing it on Thursday and half of Friday helped more of them be able to attend and still get home in time for their football game.  In the spring, there are greco and freestyle tournaments of Fridays and Saturdays. 

The dates that get chosen aren't going to work for everyone, but the IHSWCA does their best to try to accomodate for as many as they can.  In the future, I would like to see the schedule rotate a little to allow different coaches a chance to attend.  (just a suggestion for future planning)

The reasoning for the fall clinic was because many coaches also coach football.  So doing it on Thursday and half of Friday helped more of them be able to attend and still get home in time for their football game.  In the spring, there are greco and freestyle tournaments of Fridays and Saturdays. 

The dates that get chosen aren't going to work for everyone, but the IHSWCA does their best to try to accomodate for as many as they can.  In the future, I would like to see the schedule rotate a little to allow different coaches a chance to attend.  (just a suggestion for future planning)

I would think that you would have a much better turn out on Friday evenings and Saturdays.............also I would assume that a lot more coaches do not coach both football and wrestling, than the number that do.

I would think that you would have a much better turn out on Friday evenings and Saturdays.............also I would assume that a lot more coaches do not coach both football and wrestling, than the number that do.

You think it should be Friday/Saturday, I think it should be Sunday/Monday, someone else thinks it should be Tuesday/Wednesday, the IHSWCA thinks it should be Thursday/Friday.  They are never going to please everyone.  They can just try to do their best to accomodate as many coaches as they can.  You and I might not agree with them, but it's their clinic.  I'm sure they spent many hours discussing and planning it to try to make it the best clinic they could.

What about a webcast? I coach baseball, so i cant attend, but would love to see the clinic and receive the flash drive.

Usually Rex has DVDs of the clinics for sale on ebay, might want to look for them there.

You think it should be Friday/Saturday, I think it should be Sunday/Monday, someone else thinks it should be Tuesday/Wednesday, the IHSWCA thinks it should be Thursday/Friday.  They are never going to please everyone.  They can just try to do their best to accomodate as many coaches as they can.  You and I might not agree with them, but it's their clinic.  I'm sure they spent many hours discussing and planning it to try to make it the best clinic they could.

I've never heard it discussed and that is why decided to voice my opinion.  I've also talked to several coaches who share my view and that is why I'm suggesting these days.  For the normal working individual, you have to take off both Thursday and Friday to attend a Coach's Clinic that is not near your hometown.  I personally, would be able to bring 3-4 members of my own staff if it did not mean taking days off of work.

Like I stated before, I think that the Coach's Association does a great job with their clinics, and I think they do a great job overall,  but.........I pay to be a part of the Coach's Association and I don't think that I'm in the wrong voicing what I, and several coaches have discussed, even if you may disagree with me.  

Looking forward to meeting with those of you that believe you can learn a little from anyone.

Braumon Creighton Highlights from College:

Coach Creighton is a top level wrestler and COACH:

in college he beat national champions and all-americans such as Doubh Schwab (Iowa), Jose DeAnda (Nebraska), and Todd Beckerman.

151-27  career college record

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.