Team State Finals Moments...

AJ

What are some of the moments that you will remember about Team State?

One moment that stands out for me was  when Nelson  of Bellmont upset Harper of Mishawaka.  The announcers online were going crazy during the match. 

MD vs. Griffith in 2003.  If I'm not mistaken, there were 9 wrestlers in that dual that won a total of 21 individual state titles. 

MD's comeback win over Hobart with pins at 215 and 275 to pull out a 3 point win.  Great dual.

MD vs. Griffith in 2003.  If I'm not mistaken, there were 9 wrestlers in that dual that won a total of 21 individual state titles. 

MD's comeback win over Hobart with pins at 215 and 275 to pull out a 3 point win.  Great dual.

That comeback against Hobart was heart stopping and the best moment for me at Team State.

I can't put them in order but here are the best memories in my coaching experiences  through-out the entire team state series.

2008 Team Regional Finals dual against Cathedral- Cathedral won sectional's and was heavily favored against us in that dual.  So many crazy things happened throughout the entire dual to where it came down to a tie score and we won on the criteria,  most fall's.

2008 Team State Finals 1rd down by 6 pt's starting the dual against Elk Mem- With 3 matches left we needed a pin, tech and major to tie the dual.  Brandon Nelson went out and got the tech-fall, Greg Bell went out and got the major decision, and Cashe got the fall to tie the dual meet score and we won on criteria, most matches won.

2011 Team State Regional Finals against HSE- Again we were down by 9pt's and bumped Jordan Johnson up and put our back-up Jacob Henry in and he goes out and get the win to put us down 6pt's and JJ goes out and get's the pin to tie the dual and we won on criteria, most offensive point's scored.

2011 Team State Semi-Finals against EMD-  We had to  make history just to win, we pinned them 4 times, something that has never been accomplished in the history of EMD's program, we won on criteria, most fall's.

2012 Team State- Getting to watch as a spectator, on of my best friends and the godfather of my youngest son, Hank Carley (Asst. Coach Warren Central),  experience all that team state has to offer from the parade of champion's walk, the wrestler's and Head Coaches introductions, to the thrill of coaching in the most  electrifying atmosphere  you could ever coach in!!!!

Team State was something special, every round and match is filled with emotions that you can't describe unless you coached or wrestled in it. I am honored and proud to have had the opportunity to coach in it 2-times.  To all the Coaches and Wrestle's dating back to 1996 all the way through to 2012,  Don't ever forget your experiences of Team State, each and every one of you were part of something very special, something that may never happen again in our lifetime. EMD was the 1st and Perry was the last!!

Coach Weimer

The crowd living off of every point scored, seeing fans from long distances make the trip to cheer on their team, teammates warming each other up and pulling for them the whole match win or lose, the whole gym hanging on every moment of every match, the feeling that the whole team mattered not just the few studs, etc....  Something you wish to see out of all dual meets but only get once a year or sometimes only once every few years.

In 2006 all the first round matches came down to the final match. Mater Dei beat Perry Meridian by 2 pts, which came down to 2 state placers to decide it. Bellmont beat Merrillville by 3 pts which was back and fourth the whole way through. Columbia City beat Bloomington South by 9 pts I believe. And Mishawaka beat Cathedral by 4 pts and they were down 20 or more. That was the loudest that I have ever heard a gym. What an exciting tournament that I will miss.

MD vs Portage.  Not sure the year or the round.  Both teams had several state placers including a rematch of the championship match the week before between Jason Tabor and Danny Jankowski.  Jankowski gets the win and Tabor raises Danny's hand and signals the crowd that Danny was #1.  One of the classiest moments in sports I have ever witnessed.  The whole match was deafening.

1997 MD vs Carmel in the semis

Carmel won the IHSWCA coach's trophey the week before and MD had some injuries in their line up.  At 152 the hurt  MD guy came from behind to pin his guy.  The place was rocking after that.  Then the hurt MD 189 guy pins his opponent from Carmel to seal the win.

Frank Debusk from Hobart catching and pinning Jankowski in that same match.

Oh yes the MD crowd chanting DAN JANKOWSKI!! Then bam the slop drop and Hobart fans go nuts. Never seen MD fans so quiet in my life. What an amazing dual. Also though the rotten officiating in the 171 lb match hitting the Hobart kid with 2 stalling calls in like 15 seconds. Has to be one of the best duals ever.

Did you not go to team state this year?

Sarcasm notwithstanding... The sound from intense screaming to total silence was deafening.  You could have heard a pin drop. It stayed that way when Dewig  also got beat but built to a crescendo as MD pinned their way to victory!! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.