Has this happened before?

Caleb Spires

I think back in 1987 at 126 LBS  Brian Johnson from Beech Grove and Hugh Waddington from Lawrence  North wrestled in Sectional, Regional, Semi-State, and State finals with Johnson winning the first 3 and Waddington winning under the lights.

In 2008  Eric Roach from Crown Point and Tom Churchard from Valpo met in

the finals of sectionals, regionals, semi-state and state finals. All matches were

decided by 1 point.  They didn't meet in the Duneland torney because Churchard

bumped to 135 and beat McMurray.  Then at state McMurray beat Galka at 135 to win

state.

I think I remember a kid from North Central finishing 2nd in sectional, regional, semi state and state but it was to a couple different wrestlers.  I think it was in the mid to early 90s.  Hill is the only name that comes to mind.  Does anyone else remember this?

Ramos and Bradbury were not in the same sectional, but the same conference, regional...

They met at the Hobart invite as well, and maybe some other places.

Ramos won every time.  Plenty of the matches had Ramos down, but he was always a rock and always kept his composure.  I think at regionals their junior/senior year, Alex was down six, but came back for the win.  Beating a guy that good, that many times is pretty ridiculous.  I think about 13 in two years, with the last being Alex Ramos's first state title his junior year. 

I believe Bradbury went on to win a D3 title in college.

Yeah, these 2 met in all 4 with Talamentes winning all of them.

I don't believe this to be correct.  I am almost sure that they started at SS.  Bolden(South Side) wrestled in the New Haven Sectional/Snider Regional.  Talmantes(Northside) North Side Sectional/Carroll Regional.  The didn't ever wrestle in the SAC finals, because Bolden got screwed in the seeding meeting, and he was the 4th seed, wrestling Talamantes in the semi finals.

I think back in 1987 at 126 LBS  Brian Johnson from Beech Grove and Hugh Waddington from Lawrence  North wrestled in Sectional, Regional, Semi-State, and State finals with Johnson winning the first 3 and Waddington winning under the lights.

They were not in the same sectional. They did wrestle each other in the Marion County finals that year too.

Bradley and Campbell also wrestled each other in the CCC and Marion County finals that year. If I remember correctly, Campbell's only losses that season were all to Bradley.

I think I remember a kid from North Central finishing 2nd in sectional, regional, semi state and state but it was to a couple different wrestlers.  I think it was in the mid to early 90s.  Hill is the only name that comes to mind.  Does anyone else remember this?

WILL Hill ended up winning it I believe you might be referring to Vernon Cannon he got 2nd...hope that helps

WILL Hill ended up winning it I believe you might be referring to Vernon Cannon he got 2nd...hope that helps

I looked it up and it was DiAndre Hill of North Central.  He got beat by Pat Cassidy from Bloomington North in the 93'-94' season.  DiAndre's record after the finals was 19-5 so he could have dropped a wt class in the middle of the year but with 5 losses could have easily lost several matches during his run to 2nd place.  Does anyone have any info on his sectional, regional and semi state result?

I remember Will and Vernon.  Both went to Lawerence Central not North Central. 

1996 at 112 - Nick Hull of Lawrence Central against someone from Lawrence North - his name escapes me.  Met at sectional, regional semi-state and state finals.  Mac Taylor of New Castle 3rd at New Castle Semi-State and State; lost to Hull 15-5 in state semi-finals who went on to win the title.

Mr. Hull coaches somewhere now and shows up here occasionally...

1996 at 112 - Nick Hull of Lawrence Central against someone from Lawrence North - his name escapes me.  Met at sectional, regional semi-state and state finals.  Mac Taylor of New Castle 3rd at New Castle Semi-State and State; lost to Hull 15-5 in state semi-finals who went on to win the title.

Mr. Hull coaches somewhere now and shows up here occasionally...

The kid from LN was Scott Hines I believe.  What we have found from Caleb's post is that this happened many times over the years.

On top of that would Rosbottom and Minton have also met in the Jeff Classic Finals and HHC finals that same year?

I'm pretty certain Minton was at 40 for Jeff Classic. I know for a fact he wasn't at 145 because I was there. Minton and Rossbottom must've met during the regular season a couple of times also because he had several losses on the season. One being to Jankowski as well.

But back to the point of semi-state wrestlebacks. Yes, this is one of the 2 biggest reasons for having them. Even if Rossbottom would've won at regionals, you'd have had a Minton/Jankowski ticket round match. No reason for the #2 and #3 guys going at it in an elimination match before state.

The other reason, for me, is a freak accident. In that same semi-state as the Jankowski/Rossbottom match, my teammate Andrew Wolf was wrestling. He was ranked #1 heading into that tournament. He was beating his kid comfortably and had an illegal move called against him. The kid used all his injury time and took the victory. Andrew didn't even have a chance to finish the match or get to wrestleback to prove that he lost by a freak accident (not by inferior skill). We need wrestlebacks for these 2 reasons alone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.