IHSWCA 2012-13 Duals State Championship Qualifying--standings after semi-state

maligned

Below are the standings after semi-state.  This week, only the teams with a mathematical possibility of earning one of the 7 positions awarded this season are included.  Remember as always that these scores are earned in a way that shows us how good a team should be in duals next season.  Some notes:

1. Many teams with higher scores than some listed here are not on the list because they're mathematically eliminated (Jasper, for example, is very highly rated in 2A but has no one left wrestling and are slightly below what they'd need to remain in contention).

2. Remember, 4 positions are awarded for highest points from each of the semi-states for each class and 2 Wildcard positions are awarded for the 2 highest remaining scores, regardless of semi-state.  The 3rd wildcard for each class will be determined by selection committee vote after the season from among the first available candidate and any other candidates within 30 points (3A and 2A) or 35 points (1A).

3. Scores for Merrillville semi-state teams are almost certainly correct, but should not be considered official.  The others are official.

4. We'll post final scores for all teams in the state after the state finals.

5. Teams listed are mathematically "alive" either to win their semi-state berth or to be within the prescribed point differential to qualify for the coaches' vote.  Numerous teams listed would need very, very big surprises this weekend to remain alive.

6. NO INJURY POINTS HAVE BEEN INCLUDED YET. DON'T FORGET TO TURN IN YOUR INJURY REPORTS  TO COACH STRUCK FOR SOPHOMORES AND JUNIORS WHO QUALIFIED FOR AT LEAST SEMI-STATE LAST YEAR BUT DIDN'T WRESTLE SECTIONAL THIS YEAR DUE TO INJURY.  INSTRUCTIONS ARE IN A "PINNED" THREAD AT THE TOP OF THIS BOARD. 

*--In position to win an automatic semi-state berth

$--In position to win one of 2 automatic wildcard berths

3A Teams:

*Perry Meridian 358.30

$Cathedral 325.72

*Evansville Mater Dei 315.81

$Bloomington South 306.20

*Crown Point 296.03

Merrillville 293.03

Franklin 263.48

Lake Central 259.56

Penn 253.46

Center Grove 251.62

Avon 235.92

Portage 235.85

Hamilton Southeastern 233.68

Greenfield-Central 221.30

South Bend Clay 221.03

Evansville Reitz 217.56

*Elkhart Memorial 217.02

FW Snider 203.63

East Noble 195.37

2A Teams:

*Evansville Memorial 298.96

*Jimtown 278.62

$Danville 259.31

$Heritage Hills 251.79

Leo 246.36

Yorktown 245.92

Muncie Southside 222.88

*Culver Academies 222.68

Delphi 217.98

Peru 204.52

Benton Central 204.48

*Southmont 202.62

1A Teams:

*Adams Central 294.36

$South Adams 240.44

$Churubusco 222.89

North Miami 203.78

*Milan 200.76

*Bremen 194.60

*South Putnam 191.92

Fremont 189.27

Prairie Heights 187.82

Lewis Cass 186.99

Shenandoah 171.44

Union County 170.46

Culver 156.46

How is it decided what class a school is in?

I ask because you are showing Evansville MD as 3A & Evansville Memorial as 2A and Memorial is actually a larger school the MD.

EMD is actually 1A in size, but schools were given the option of moving up in class.  EMD elected to move up to 3A.

How is it decided what class a school is in?

I ask because you are showing Evansville MD as 3A & Evansville Memorial as 2A and Memorial is actually a larger school the MD.

Each school had the opportunity to move up in class before sectionals and Mater Dei chose to move up to 3A.

My bad maligned, didn't see you had posted already.

I'd Love to see MD and Evansville Reitz make it through that would really be a good showing for our area. Castle is a little down this year but to have them there in the future would be cool too. That said I don't think you'd see all three because they'd cancel each other out. Who knows?

I'd Love to see MD and Evansville Reitz make it through that would really be a good showing for our area. Castle is a little down this year but to have them there in the future would be cool too. That said I don't think you'd see all three because they'd cancel each other out. Who knows?

With this selection process, they both would have been there last year...but Reitz needs a miracle this year.  Merrillville's in line for the 3rd wildcard and they already have enormous points.  Reitz needs to be within 30 of them to qualify for the coaches' vote.

Jasper did not make it.

I do want to point out some facts.

Jasper lost to Heitage Hills by 1 pt. in team regional. They had 4 Seniors, we had 1. Take their Seniors out, take our Senior: Jasper wins 32-21. Those are the the returning points coming back which is what the duals are for next year. Heritage Hills has a great team and a great coaching staff. They deserve to be there. Jasper should not be 50+ points behind. Jasper has won 30 sectionals in 30+ years, 14 conference titles in 18 years. Jasper had 11 underclassmen in the regional(school record), 8 underclassmen in Semi State(School Record). The multiplier in the Castle reg was much higher, probably because of Castle. Last year Castle beat us at team regional by 2. We have beaten Heritage Hills 8 out of the last 10 years. We have beaten Boonville , who finished 2'nd in the Castle sect. 10/10. Princeton is in our conference.Our conference record speaks for itself.

Head to Head we have more pts. coming back vs. HH. The mult. has us 50+ Pts. behind! I don't know if we will ever qualify under this format? I don't have a solution unless the Head to Head comes into play.

Good luck to all the teams that make it!

I do appreciate what this committee has done, it was a great undertaking!

Yours in Wrestling

Rick Stenftenagel

Jasper Wrestling Coach

Heritage Hills is by no means a shoe-in to qualify. Right now, they're in that 6th and final automatic slot with 2 wrestlers to go. They're holding off Leo by about 5 points who has 4 SQ's, and Yorktown by 6 points with 5 SQ's. If one or the other outperforms HH this week, you can expect some changes in the standings. The differential is very small, so any points these wrestlers can come up with will be critical.

I think he is more concerned with the multipliers involved.  To some, you are geographically eliminated by the sectional you attend.  If I score 100 underclass points in the Southridge Sectional, it is worth 70.  If a team scores 55 underclass points in the Evansville Central Sectional, it is worth 71.5.  I understand completely that you are trying to reward teams who compete in tougher sectionals, but it may need a little tweaking as you go from year to year.  Also, I'll bring up again the point about using Genius ratings to make these multipliers.  One team involved only has 7 matches in the results section that you rely on to produce these ratings.  Is this enough to produce a quality image of a team's strength?  Just thoughts though.  I have no dog in this fight for this season for sure.

2A Teams:

*Evansville Memorial 298.96

*Jimtown 278.62

$Danville 259.31

$Heritage Hills 251.79

Leo 246.36

Yorktown 245.92

Muncie Southside 222.88

*Culver Academies 222.68

Delphi 217.98

Peru 204.52

Benton Central 204.48

*Southmont 202.62

Final wildcard spots will be interesting... but not as interesting as the vote for the 3rd wildcard team

Danville has 2 underclassmen and 2 seniors left  -  my pick for a wildcard spot

Heritage Hills has 1 underclassman and 1 senior left

Leo has 1 underclassmen and 3 seniors left

Yorktown has 3 underclassman and 2 seniors left  - my pick for a wildcard spot

Muncie Southside has 1 underclassman and 1 senior left

I think he is more concerned with the multipliers involved.  To some, you are geographically eliminated by the sectional you attend.  If I score 100 underclass points in the Southridge Sectional, it is worth 70.  If a team scores 55 underclass points in the Evansville Central Sectional, it is worth 71.5.  I understand completely that you are trying to reward teams who compete in tougher sectionals, but it may need a little tweaking as you go from year to year.  Also, I'll bring up again the point about using Genius ratings to make these multipliers.  One team involved only has 7 matches in the results section that you rely on to produce these ratings.  Is this enough to produce a quality image of a team's strength?  Just thoughts though.  I have no dog in this fight for this season for sure.

Just curious as to if you find the concept of a multiplier unfair, or if you find the numbers attached to the multiplier to be too much?   

Just curious as to if you find the concept of a multiplier unfair, or if you find the numbers attached to the multiplier to be too much?   

I think that it is fair.  In our sectional our 1a school faces almost all 3a schools, and we feed into a regional that has all 3a.  In the future they should use the the previous years result from the tournament results to determine multiplier, not the genious ratings.  If coaches do not enter into this site, it makes your team look horrible, even if they are not. 

I personally think the values are too far apart.  But I am not in charge of the program, so all I can do is share my opinion.  I don't expect maligned to scrap the whole process, but I think he would welcome discussion about how to make it better.

I just know at this point, they used results from this site to compile a rating that determined the multiplier.  I just pointed out that there may be an issue with incomplete data, since not all the results get posted.  It may not make a difference with the bigger schools but in 1A I think that is a valid issue.  If your results are not posted, there is less of a chance they will get caught by another school since 1A schools tend to have dual matches against schools of their similar size (for the most part - I know there are exceptions).

Again, no dog in the fight like Rick does.  I do not think my team has a valid argument to be rated any higher than we are.  I just think the system may limit certain teams from being considered.  Our sectional does not have a 3A team in it, so I would assume we would be one of the lowest rated ones.  I just don't think it's that big a discrepancy.

Add Memorial making it in in 2A & the SIAC would be well represented.

Add Memorial making it in in 2A & the SIAC would be well represented.

I totaly agree I guess I was just looking at the 3A teams, I take nothing away from Memorial they have worked hard and done well. This is an all around exciting time for Indiana wrestling, with Individual Finals looming and Team Finals in the back ground all the while watching scores for next years invite you can't ask for a whole lot more than that. Good luck to every one the next two weeks!

Jasper did not make it.

I do want to point out some facts.

Jasper lost to Heitage Hills by 1 pt. in team regional. They had 4 Seniors, we had 1. Take their Seniors out, take our Senior: Jasper wins 32-21. Those are the the returning points coming back which is what the duals are for next year. Heritage Hills has a great team and a great coaching staff. They deserve to be there. Jasper should not be 50+ points behind. Jasper has won 30 sectionals in 30+ years, 14 conference titles in 18 years. Jasper had 11 underclassmen in the regional(school record), 8 underclassmen in Semi State(School Record). The multiplier in the Castle reg was much higher, probably because of Castle. Last year Castle beat us at team regional by 2. We have beaten Heritage Hills 8 out of the last 10 years. We have beaten Boonville , who finished 2'nd in the Castle sect. 10/10. Princeton is in our conference.Our conference record speaks for itself.

Head to Head we have more pts. coming back vs. HH. The mult. has us 50+ Pts. behind! I don't know if we will ever qualify under this format? I don't have a solution unless the Head to Head comes into play.

Good luck to all the teams that make it!

I do appreciate what this committee has done, it was a great undertaking!

Yours in Wrestling

Rick Stenftenagel

Jasper Wrestling Coach

Rick, did you notice that on the IHSAA website they listed Ian Songer as being from Southridge insead of Jasper? Maybe the points he would have picked up advancing to the 2nd round of the semistate did not get factored into Jaspers score?

How are they not higher?

probably because our multiplier is so low (.70)...  and it only falls off after 1st round of semistate. they only had those 5 (and only 3 are underclassmen) wrestlers win their first match...

our sectional qualified 7 for state, but all come form 2 schools (Yorktown 5 and Muncie Southside 2)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.