Berry/Sliga/Maurer

ontherise219

I know Everyone is giving Sliga the title(like last year) but I think the top 3 here can go either way. I know Sliga won cadet nationals and is 2x  3rd placer. Berry was 5th losing to the champ1-0 in the quarters. I don't know if he has gone 6 minutes all year. Then the dark horse Maurer a great athlete with a wrestling pedigree who is undefeated. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sliga- represented our state winning cadet nationals

Gotta love that

Berry-comes from the region

gotta love that too

Maurer-first season on the mat in a few years and what a season indeed

gotta love that as well

Ill be pleased with whoever takes the crown but id like to see maurer win it. Makes for a good story

I know Everyone is giving Sliga the title(like last year) but I think the top 3 here can go either way. I know Sliga won cadet nationals and is 2x  3rd placer. Berry was 5th losing to the champ1-0 in the quarters. I don't know if he has gone 6 minutes all year. Then the dark horse Maurer a great athlete with a wrestling pedigree who is undefeated.  

That being said. I'll take Sliga in solid and nearly dominating fashion. Berry is a beast, haven't seen Maurer but that record out of that semi state is absolutly legit, but.... Sliga is Sliga, so.......

Hopefully it does get him a title since all I've herd for the past 4 years is how's he's going to be the hands down champ but still hasn't been under the lights in Indy

i agree, that is inexcusable,  when a 14/15 year old fails to  achieve extraordinary standards set by anonymous "critics" online.  My motto is if you can't win all four leave your shoes at the door.

That's a good motto. I wouldn't say anyone is criticising his ability but only stating that if state titles were won on discussion boards then he would be a 2 or 3 time champ. I believe some people were comparing him to Howe, Escobedo, Ditka, and Chuck Norris. He defiantly has the potential to win a title but like I said he has yet to be under the lights in Indy.

Saw the Maurer match with the Trinity kid.  Maurer dominated him, coulda beat him by 1o easily.  I know he didn't, but he was superior for sure.  As far as being on Sliga's level...Maurer is an athlete, who will bring a full tank of gas.  He's in the hunt imo.  Has some slick stuff on his feet, looked like he was really finding his way at the Holiday Classic.

Hopefully it does get him a title since all I've herd for the past 4 years is how's he's going to be the hands down champ but still hasn't been under the lights in Indy

I have to agree with Mr. Wrong on this one...  I am sure Sliga is fantastic and his national prowess proves that but I remember a few people last year saying he was going to go down as one of the best wrestlers in Indiana State History!  Got to win a title first! 

I am a NWI guy and I will tell  you if he beats Berry then I have mad respect.  I think the Berry Goldman match last year says a lot about Berry....  I really think  Berry was looking past Goldman.  Definitely a mistake. 

Should be really good...  I definitely want to see this match up.

I have to agree with Mr. Wrong on this one...  I am sure Sliga is fantastic and his national prowess proves that but I remember a few people last year saying he was going to go down as one of the best wrestlers in Indiana State History!  Got to win a title first! 

I am a NWI guy and I will tell  you if he beats Berry then I have mad respect.  I think the Berry Goldman match last year says a lot about Berry....  I really think  Berry was looking past Goldman.  Definitely a mistake. 

Should be really good...  I definitely want to see this match up.

The national vs state title debate was on a different thread and if a conclusion could be drawn it was unequivocally that National titles mean more than a state title, in terms of recruiting and D1 potential (I can't imagine what other criteria would mean more, other than Indiana mat message board approval of course).

Based on his national accolades, Sliga is one of the best in Indiana State History. He is a 4x Fargo champion, and a  cadet triple crown winner. No one from Indiana has come close to that, neither Tsirtsis(es), Howe, Humphrey, Escobedo, Maurer, no one, in fact very few Americans have that!  It is an amazing accomplishment.

As a 14-15 year old, wrestling at 189, he lost to Two State champs, a Runner-up  and the Senior National Runner-up. So he has had some pretty stiff competition, in state too. the kid is pretty good.

Everyone knows that sliga is a good wrestler and has won Fargo, but still hasn't won a state title. This could be the year, but he is going to either have to wrestle Berry, who is a beast, or Maurer who's name is royalty in Indiana, or both. Some people are acting like he sould just go and stand on top of the podium and let berry and Maurer wrestle for 2 and 3rd.

The national vs state title debate was on a different thread and if a conclusion could be drawn it was unequivocally that National titles mean more than a state title, in terms of recruiting and D1 potential (I can't imagine what other criteria would mean more, other than Indiana mat message board approval of course).

Based on his national accolades, Sliga is one of the best in Indiana State History. He is a 4x Fargo champion, and a  cadet triple crown winner. No one from Indiana has come close to that, neither Tsirtsis(es), Howe, Humphrey, Escobedo, Maurer, no one, in fact very few Americans have that!  It is an amazing accomplishment.

As a 14-15 year old, wrestling at 189, he lost to Two State champs, a Runner-up  and the Senior National Runner-up. So he has had some pretty stiff competition, in state too. the kid is pretty good.

That being said.....  You still have to clean up at home!  I think you need both to be really great.  I know this kid is good but again you have to clean up around the house!

That being said.....  You still have to clean up at home!  I think you need both to be really great.  I know this kid is good but again you have to clean up around the house!

I'd agree, and having seen both Berry and Sliga wrestle, I think Sliga wins that match up. I have never seen Maurer so I can't pick that one as confidently, but Mitch is one of the best big men I have ever seen. So I'll say Sliga here too.

That being said. I am not sure many appreciate just how impressive Sliga's resume is. He could never win a IN state title and still be one of the best IN wrestlers of all time.  (I fully expect him to win this year and next)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.