To Coaches

Jake Riesen

Southridge, 2A - As the head coach I would NOT favor a class tournament for next year or any year thereafter. I feel that Indiana should keep its current format and only have 1 state champion per weight class. I see no reason to dilute wrestling and take away from the individual regional, semi-states, and state tournament we now enjoy. Would a class 2A state champion that never faced the 3A state champ really be the STATE CHAMP?

This is for a team dual state event that some are attempting to organize after the IHSAA decided to end there team tournament starting next year  It is not effecting the IHSAA individual tournament. .

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breakdown by classes

1a- 17 of 106 teams on record.  16%

2a- 30 of 104 teams on record.  28%

3a-23 of 102 teams on record.  22.5%

over 20% of the teams and climbing thats a really impressive number in just over 3 days up on the board.  Anyone who has dual meet see if you can get any more teams on record.  Thanks for the help and Sunday we can bring the data to the IHSWCA meeting.

7 teams away from a whole semi states worth.

Terry Tipton

I got yes votes today from the following schools.

T.H. South

Heritage

Westfield

Ben Davis

Speedway

Northwest

Howe

Princeton

Lebanon

Evansville Memorial

Fishers

Northview

Zionsville

Shelbyville

Mt Vernon Fortville

Roncalli

This post ask would you be willing to participate in a team class state tournament - I would expect allot of coaches saying yes is no surprise.

I could have come to that conclusion without a poll.

The question is how do you run a class Team State without IHSAA support?

It would have to be a one event tournament - which means a select few invited.

Every team in the State of Indiana would not be able to participate so how could you call this a Team State Tournament?

Its an easy question to ask every team would you be in favor of this, but the bigger question is how you do it?

Teams are locked into meets by contract, ADs don't want to to try and find new matches and it cost your school money if you break a contract.

The only way to run a true Team state tournament is for it to be supported by the IHSAA.

I wish all these teams and coaches who came on here and said they supported team state would have said something last year.

The details are still being hashed out on that coach Spencer.  I am pretty sure of one thing, I will not 100% agree with the way the tournament is presented.  That being said I like all coaches who have posted their support for a classed team state must be willing to work with the idea.  The structure of the tournament will most likely start as an invitational, but could grow to something a lot bigger and better.  The first year the coaches association will probably be looking for something very managable.  That is not to say that even the following year changes could not be made to garner more participation and hit the eventual goal of an all in tournament.  I guess what I am hoping can happen is all coaches put their differences aside on the structure of the tournament, and agree on something.  Thats not to say not to be principaled in what your idea of team state is suppose to be, but come to the table with an open mind.  I can promise you that no coach in the state is going to get exactly what they want from the start, but the association has been given an open endorsement from the IHSAA to create their own team state and I hope we take advantage of that.  If you or any other coach would like to be apart of creating the team state you can contact mr McCormick or any of your regional reps to get more information.  IF THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT PLEASE VOLUNTEER TO HELP OUT.  Lets get as many coaches as possible working toward the same goal.  A classed team state.

Terry Tipton

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.