THE DARK HORSES

daddio

I honestly dont give two craps about Goldman. He has nothing to do with the conversation! Besides no one ever said he wasn't good. The last two seasons Brooks and Phillips split, again someone who has nothing to do with the conversation. We are talking about a group of 3-4 guys that are at another level compared to the rest of the weight class.  Can't see a no name guy beating all of them..

Don't get defensive, I wasn't attacking you or any of the guys. You compared how Phillips would do against Ayersman because of how he did against Campbell, so I did the same with Phillips and Brooks. And my part about Goldman is saying that the higher ranked guys that aren't talked about as much as the top 3-4 can still win it all. Like I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nick Crume or Cody LeCount won it all at 126, but that doesn't really make them no names. They both had great seasons last year and could both give Phillips a great run. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was attacking Phillips or trying to start something, because I didn't mean to come off like that. Cody Phillips is really good, I can't argue that a 2x state champion isn't good. I just think that he'll get a great challenge at 126.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are crazy oldwrestler the bigger guys skill level doesnt match the lighter weight hmm, just because bigger guys dont move as fast. Their skill level is the same if not better look at Rob Miller won State at a bigger weight class and he has some of the best tech. you will ever see. Sliga isnt skilled. Skilled and scrappy is two different things.

You are crazy oldwrestler the bigger guys skill level doesnt match the lighter weight hmm, just because bigger guys dont move as fast. Their skill level is the same if not better look at Rob Miller won State at a bigger weight class and he has some of the best tech. you will ever see. Sliga isnt skilled. Skilled and scrappy is two different things.

Figured you'd get defensive about my comment.  Whatever bud, stay in your fantasy world. 

Don't get defensive, I wasn't attacking you or any of the guys. You compared how Phillips would do against Ayersman because of how he did against Campbell, so I did the same with Phillips and Brooks. And my part about Goldman is saying that the higher ranked guys that aren't talked about as much as the top 3-4 can still win it all. Like I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nick Crume or Cody LeCount won it all at 126, but that doesn't really make them no names. They both had great seasons last year and could both give Phillips a great run. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was attacking Phillips or trying to start something, because I didn't mean to come off like that. Cody Phillips is really good, I can't argue that a 2x state champion isn't good. I just think that he'll get a great cha;;enge at 126.

when you're talking phillips, brooks, crume and lecount (among a few others)........you might as well flip a coin......these kids are all studs......on any given day one can beat the other......it'll be interesting to see which ones end up in the same weight classes.....only about 6 more weeks and it starts again!

sliga isn't skilled?......seriously?......

I think we will have to agree to disagree, I think Mitch Sliga & Tyler Willis are two of the most skilled wrestlers from 182lbs on up. There are many others, but as athletes and what I would consider skill these two are at the top of my list for bigger guys...Just My Opinion!!!

I think the upper weights are just as skilled as the lower weights.  It's just a different style of wrestling.  The lower weights can rely more on quickness and speed, whereas the upperweights need more strength. 

One could argue that Sliga is the most skilled wrestler to ever come out of Indiana just based on his national accomplishments.  Where are Indiana's other National Triple Crown winners?

when you're talking phillips, brooks, crume and lecount (among a few others)........you might as well flip a coin......these kids are all studs......on any given day one can beat the other......it'll be interesting to see which ones end up in the same weight classes.....only about 6 more weeks and it starts again!

Exactly my point, it's too early to say someone will be a state champion when you have so many amazing wrestlers floating around that weight.

I honestly dont give two craps about Goldman. He has nothing to do with the conversation! Besides no one ever said he wasn't good. The last two seasons Brooks and Phillips split, again someone who has nothing to do with the conversation. We are talking about a group of 3-4 guys that are at another level compared to the rest of the weight class.  Can't see a no name guy beating all of them..

The Reason Goldman was mention is because Everyone thought 189 was going to be between Sliga and Stevens and no one else was really giving goldman a chance. Heck I be there were people that didn't even have him going to the finals. Those 3-4 wrestlers might not be who wins state anything can happen.

The Reason Goldman was mention is because Everyone thought 189 was going to be between Sliga and Stevens and no one else was really giving goldman a chance. Heck I be there were people that didn't even have him going to the finals. Those 3-4 wrestlers might not be who wins state anything can happen.

I don't think the Goldman example is good because he placed at the super 32, i would say he was way underrated, he was on the same lvl as the other 2 but people just looked past the super 32 accomplishment which is huge!!! so he would fit into a top 3 guy. Him pulling away with the upset shouldn't have been a surprise, but I would say if one of those 3-4 guys at 126 don't win it, that would be a huge shock...

I agree with you bulldog Goldman was underrated. And Sligs lost to Stevenson, Arron wrestled a different match against Goldman. Personally I think Sliga would of won against Garrett, different styles would make a different outcome just my opinion no disrespect meant to anyone. And as for Ty he is amazing love the young man Iv known him and family for about 12 years. I cant wait for the two of them to hopefully battle it out their sen. year Ty is due to win him 1

I agree with you bulldog Goldman was underrated. And Sligs lost to Stevenson, Arron wrestled a different match against Goldman. Personally I think Sliga would of won against Garrett, different styles would make a different outcome just my opinion no disrespect meant to anyone. And as for Ty he is amazing love the young man Iv known him and family for about 12 years. I cant wait for the two of them to hopefully battle it out their sen. year Ty is due to win him 1

Didn't Stevenson beat Goldman a week earlier?  7-2, maybe?  Sliga might have beat Goldman in a given match, or he might have lost to him.  When guys are on similar levels, either guy can win on a given day.

I'll give you two dark horses that no one is talking about, nor have u heard of em.  Jared paxton and Jake Thurman of Rockville, these guys are the definition of dark horses.  jared is a senior and has been hittin the mats hard since last season, look for him to make some noise at 182.  he is a tough kid who fought through the final round of sectionals and wrestled in regionals with an injured shoulder.  jake thurman is a sophomore and had a very strong freshman year with somewhere around 30 wins and a regional appearance.  Jake has also hit the mats often since last season and looks to come out and make a little noise at 138.  Im not sayin these kids will win state but they could make an appearance at conseco and compete.  It will be very interesting to watch these guys this upcoming season. 

some other under dogs could be jack bolin, eli moore, quentin clough, joey engel, and the mitchell boy, all of whom are from fountain central.  these kids are very very talented.  these kids had success last year in the tourney so i expect nothing less than another very solid year from this group of guys. 

ok.....i'll throw a "dark horse" candidate in for my son who will be a freshman 106lber at elkhart memorial this year.....as a 7th grader he was 2nd in the big 11 conference with only 3 losses on the season and then went undedeated as an 8th grader to win  the big 11......big 11 is the conference that feeds both penn and mishawaka schools so it's not a cake walk......and he's had some success at folkstyle, freestyle, and greco state, and middle school state making the podium....he's gone the distance with tommy cash a few times, never beating him but holding his own....so probably not a true dark horse to make it all the way to state but he'll make some waves along the way i do think.....

ok.....i'll throw a "dark horse" candidate in for my son who will be a freshman 106lber at elkhart memorial this year.....as a 7th grader he was 2nd in the big 11 conference with only 3 losses on the season and then went undedeated as an 8th grader to win  the big 11......big 11 is the conference that feeds both penn and mishawaka schools so it's not a cake walk......and he's had some success at folkstyle, freestyle, and greco state, and middle school state making the podium....he's gone the distance with tommy cash a few times, never beating him but holding his own....so probably not a true dark horse to make it all the way to state but he'll make some waves along the way i do think.....

I wasn't going to say it, but since you did, I totally agree. Tony has all of the tools and will make some noise this season...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.