The Hammer Comes Down in Florida

Y2CJ41

"plus banned the boys' wrestling team from participating in any district, regional or state competitions for the next three school years."

Ouch.  Talk about a set back for the program.  My guess would be after these sanctions district transfers will be going up dramatically.

If you want to remain in the athletic organization you have to follow there athletic guidelines. They have to option to leave it, but that means not being able to participate in there events.  Most schools in a state don't like that option.  So I guess the authority comes from not wanting to leave that exclusive club.

If the IHSAA is so worried about making money.. Start collecting some fines from the schools who have broken the rules.. $57K per school who have had wrestlers "move in" to wrestle.. That would put a big stop to recruiting.. or the price of RTC's, holiday tournaments and off season tournaments would increase dramatically!

Wow, that's some serious business...

Some of those infractions sounds like what I hear is going on at Merrillville and Crown Point High Schools...kids saying they live

in the District but still living in say East Chicago or Illinois, etc.  Yet the IHSAA continues to turn a blind eye.

Anyone read the parent testimonials at the bottom of the article?  Sounds like the principal may be as big of a crook as any of them, with violations having been reported for many years and a blind eye turned.

I'm surprised the school didn't invoke the SEC Exemption Rule when the fine was levied.  That says that if you are a high school within 200 miles of an SEC school, you are exempt from following enrollment and/or recruiting rules.  Cheating is sort of expected in those regions.  I heard, but can't confirm, that Ohio is considering a similar exemption for schools within 200 miles of Columbus.  It will be called the Buckeye Exemption Rule.

Anyone read the parent testimonials at the bottom of the article?  Sounds like the principal may be as big of a crook as any of them, with violations having been reported for many years and a blind eye turned.

Its customary to throw others under the bus instead of taking responsibility for your actions

I'm surprised the school didn't invoke the SEC Exemption Rule when the fine was levied.  That says that if you are a high school within 200 miles of an SEC school, you are exempt from following enrollment and/or recruiting rules.  Cheating is sort of expected in those regions.  I heard, but can't confirm, that Ohio is considering a similar exemption for schools within 200 miles of Columbus.  It will be called the Buckeye Exemption Rule.

I would expect the Buckeye Exemption Rule to include free tattoos from a "reputable" merchant.

I'm sure there is a halfway point that can be meet betwen the two sides which is somewhat accurate.  Where that is at this point who knows.  It seem though the biggest issue that started the downward spiral here was many involved look the other way on what was happing since it was helping the sports programs out.  However, who started making more tactical decisions too then mask what was becoming an obvious issue will probably be anyones guess.

One things I do agree with that was mentioned in the article.  It is hurting the kids involves that were attending the school for the right reason and did nothing wrong in this case.

The comment that someone posted to the article is interesting because they actually list a name of a student who was removed and sent back to his previous school.

The entire issue is a mess.  A sad mess.  And if the press is ignoring facts then they are just making a bad situation worse.

Where do amateur athletic associations like the IHSAA get their authority to levy fines against a school, or to tell a private individual what they can and can't do during the off season?

The Florida Legislature, in 1997, gave the FHSAA statutory recognition as the official governing body for interscholastic athletics in Florida.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.