Bubba Jenkins

D-train

Bring on the Boo's.

I have no problem with celebrations.  Look at every kid jumping into his coaches arms.  Jumping up and down and being excited.  I think what most people have a problem with (like me) is that it is a planned celebration.  Lets be honest, if some kid won an IHSAA title, pulled off his ankle bands and started shooting them out of the air, people would have a huge problem with that.  Look at all the people that boo'd McMurray for just putting up 3 fingers in the air the last five seconds of a match (which I didn't even care about). 

Be excited, just don't be a showman.  This isn't the NFL.  Be honest with yourselves when you are defending this.  Wait till you see Johnny 10 year old win a little kid state title and do that.  It's a little outlandish.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure he said it came off the top of his head.  Sorry if he is a little too creative for your taste, but you are trying to compare an NCAA National Title to that of a intermediate state title?  You should be boo'd, think about what you write before you post.  Also, I don't remember people booing McMurray when he won his third.

Wow.Even I didnt think it was that big a deal.But my comment was simple if he had been a four time champ or first time at like your a wrestler .He can have all the fun he wants.The fact remains this isnt basketball or the NFL.Act like you have been there even if you havent...

That still makes no sense to me.  IT IS THE NCAA FINALS!  Add all the other drama involved in this match, and that kid deserved that celebration.  Listen to his press conference. You can tell he respects his opponent David Taylor, but does have resentment for Cael...and he should.  Once again, no one posting here that disagrees has EVER won an NCAA title; therefore, you don't know the emotions that culminate when you reach the pinnacle.  I don't either, but I can imagine...and I never celebrated a win at state, nationals, or anywhere.  I would have here though.  I also don't think he expected to pin him, and that might have led to the spontaneous nature as well.  In that split second he reacted...end of story.

With the national press that Robles has received hopefully the casual fan

that tuned in enjoyed the show.  In my opinion Jenkins helped with that not

hurt.  The ones that turned me off were the few who did not want to talk after

there match.  We need personalities in this sport to help it grow.  If you want to

market the sport to the public.  It has to be fun.  If it is not fun, no one will tune in.

If no one tunes in.  Espn takes it off the air.  If Espn takes it off the air.  University's

think that no one cares.  If University's think no one cares.  They drop their programs.

None of us want to see that happen.  In fact we want to see programs added. So once again

we need personalities to market.

I think it is asking a lot for a kid who is dedicated enough to become a national champion to also have a personality that can be enjoyed by the masses after winning their match.  I was more amazed at the composure they showed speaking to a national audience and not coming off bad than anything.  Most 18 - 22 year old kids couldn't do that, and in my opinion all the extra time in the wrestling room tends to make wrestlers just a little strange anyway.  ESPN is paying the announcers to try to keep it entertaining, but for most people the action on the mat should be more than enough.

I think it is asking a lot for a kid who is dedicated enough to become a national champion to also have a personality that can be enjoyed by the masses after winning their match.  I was more amazed at the composure they showed speaking to a national audience and not coming off bad than anything.  Most 18 - 22 year old kids couldn't do that, and in my opinion all the extra time in the wrestling room tends to make wrestlers just a little strange anyway.  ESPN is paying the announcers to try to keep it entertaining, but for most people the action on the mat should be more than enough.

All I am saying is that Jenkins helps the overall picture not hurts it.  It is fine if some guys don't have big personalities

but it is great when a few do!  Like it or not.  It is not all about the wrestling when it comes to TV.

I personally have no problem with the celebration.. You could tell there was a lot of built up hatred between Bubba and Cael and it was awesome to see it end the way it did as a Bubba fan.. It's good for the sport to have a character who is celebrating, hitting cement mixers and superducks, and posting celebratory YouTube videos sipping Hennessy out of his "National Champ Cup"...  As a Bubba J fan, I'm just glad that he got the hell out of Madison, Indiana, because I have a hard time believing that with an average high school coach at a rural Indiana High School, he goes on to have one fraction of the career that he has had.

I personally have no problem with the celebration.. You could tell there was a lot of built up hatred between Bubba and Cael and it was awesome to see it end the way it did as a Bubba fan.. It's good for the sport to have a character who is celebrating, hitting cement mixers and superducks, and posting celebratory YouTube videos sipping Hennessy out of his "National Champ Cup"...  As a Bubba J fan, I'm just glad that he got the hell out of Madison, Indiana, because I have a hard time believing that with an average high school coach at a rural Indiana High School, he goes on to have one fraction of the career that he has had.

That post started out nice.  Could have done without the cheap shot though Ivy Leaguer.

That post started out nice.  Could have done without the cheap shot though Ivy Leaguer.

C'mon man, you know I'm always gonna tell it like it is.. How much D1 talent has Madison, Indiana ever produced in wrestling?  Would Bubba J have developed the way he did had he stayed in Madison?  Can you honestly say that my statement is not accurate?

Look at every kid jumping into his coaches arms.  Jumping up and down and being excited.  I think what most people have a problem with (like me) is that it is a planned celebration.

every guy talks about what he would do IF he won his title.. every wrestler dreams of winning that tourney, and just like us Jenkins has probably been talkin about winning this title forever, and along with that talk he's more than likely thought about what he would do after the match.. so sure it seems cocky that he PLANNED to win, but everyone plans to win, i would hope, and everyone dreams about that celebration and adrenaline rush.. give this guy a break....

Do you know who the average coach even was? Or was it just a shot at who you thought it was?

I really have no problem with Bubba's celebration.  Not really my style, but I didn't see anything wrong with it.  It was done well after the match, Taylor and the PSU coaches had already left the mat, and he didn't do anything to belittle his opponent.  Cut the guy some slack.

What I suggest the people complaining to do is check out Kyle Dake's post match celebration on flowrestling.com.  He calls his opponent an "idiot" for position selection.  I don't hold it against Dake.  He was being filmed, and answering a question 60 seconds after having his arm raised; however, what is more classless?  I don't hear anyone on here complaining about that...nor should they be.

As far as Dake goes, when Spates asked him "what did you think when he chose down" and Kyle responded "what an idiot" , I'm pretty sure almost everyone in attendance was thinking the exact same thing except for Frank.  Even "the tanks" coaches were befuddled by his decision.  Dake rode him for over 6 minutes in a match that lasts 7.

As far as Bubba goes...I'm still smiling!

Also I will be letting all of you know soon about a great new internet radio wrestling show that will be unveiled soon from TheOpenMat.....trust me it is relevant to the thread.  ;)

Wow!!  Thanks ranking guy.  Just read your post about how horrible it is here at Madison!  Did not realize I took a job this past year at such a bad school??  Thanks for your wisdom.  Better get my resume together.  Unbelievable!

-Everyone needs to leave RankingsGuy alone. It irritates me that so many people give him a hard time when he is one of the only individuals that actually posts anything real. Personally, I am so sick and tired of reading all these "lets be politically correct" responses. It is okay to have an opinion that goes against the grain and is potentially offensive. Everyone here is/was a wrestler or wrestling fan. We are all pretty tough individuals.  So as a team, lets all try to toughen up and not take everything so personal.

-Or we can all go play basketball and cry about our poor little feelings being hurt  :o

(I know this does not apply to all posters on this board. Just enough people to draw a response from me.)

GOD BLESS WRESTLING AND GOD BLESS AMERICA

-Everyone needs to leave RankingsGuy alone. It irritates me that so many people give him a hard time when he is one of the only individuals that actually posts anything real. Personally, I am so sick and tired of reading all these "lets be politically correct" responses. It is okay to have an opinion that goes against the grain and is potentially offensive. Everyone here is/was a wrestler or wrestling fan. We are all pretty tough individuals.  So as a team, lets all try to toughen up and not take everything so personal.

-Or we can all go play basketball and cry about our poor little feelings being hurt  :o

(I know this does not apply to all posters on this board. Just enough people to draw a response from me.)

GOD BLESS WRESTLING AND GOD BLESS AMERICA

haha, Ok when I get on a board and someone bad mouths my program.  I will stand up for it!  

Standing up for yourself and defending your program is more of what wrestling taught me than to roll over and let someone talk about a program I have been apart of as a wrestler and now as a Head Coach.

But if you think standing up for yourself makes you politically correct, then I guess that me.  Who would of thunk it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.