AJ

Top bracket:

Lafayette Harrison v. Castle

Roncalli v. Yorktown

Bottom bracket:

Perry Meridian v. Cathedral

Crown point v. Mishawaka

any predictions and/or thoughts.......

After watching both teams at state, I think Yorktown v.s. Mishawaka would be a great championship and closer than people think.

I Have to agree i think this potiental match will be much closer than people are saying, what class sizes are all these schools? I thought Yorktown was only a 2A?

Does anyone know how it was decided which teams qualify for team state I know you have to win the team regional but how did match up the regionals? From looking at the state pairings 3 teams from the individual semistate from merriville and new castle qualified while only one from the fort Wayne and Evansville.

Does anyone know how it was decided which teams qualify for team state I know you have to win the team regional but how did match up the regionals? From looking at the state pairings 3 teams from the individual semistate from merriville and new castle qualified while only one from the fort Wayne and Evansville.

They changed the alignment before last year's tournament. I am not sure why they decided to take teams from different individual semi-states and put them in the same Team Regional.

how is it that 3 teams from Indianapolis are always at team state?  I'm sure other areas of the state would like that possiblity, like Merrillville and Crown Point, Penn and Mishawaka, Mater Dei and Castle

It is possible for zero teams from Indy to make it. For example, if Bloom South beat Perry, New Castle beat Roncalli, and Tri-Central beat Cathedral, there would be no Indianapolis area teams. You can't send every Indianapolis area team through the same team regional.

3 teams from Marion County is overkill.  Look at the census data and it has less than 1 million .  Lake county, the next largest has just under 500,000.  If you add all the counties together that all of the schools attend the same regional they have a much larger population than a county that is split into 3 different regionals.

http://www.stats.indiana.edu/population/popTotals/2008_cntyest.asp

The counties of Lake, Porter, Newton, Jasper, LaPorte and Starke have approx 200,000 more inhabitants and they never have the opportunity to send more than 1 participant to team state.  Marion County always has 3 opportunities.

3 teams from Marion County is overkill.  Look at the census data and it has less than 1 million .  Lake county, the next largest has just under 500,000.  If you add all the counties together that all of the schools attend the same regional they have a much larger population than a county that is split into 3 different regionals.

http://www.stats.indiana.edu/population/popTotals/2008_cntyest.asp

The counties of Lake, Porter, Newton, Jasper, LaPorte and Starke have approx 200,000 more inhabitants and they never have the opportunity to send more than 1 participant to team state.  Marion County always has 3 opportunities.

the return of nonns... good point too.

It is possible for zero teams from Indy to make it. For example, if Bloom South beat Perry, New Castle beat Roncalli, and Tri-Central beat Cathedral, there would be no Indianapolis area teams. You can't send every Indianapolis area team through the same team regional.

There are only 26 schools in Marion County.................... They could practically be put into the same INDIVIDUAL Regional............

I wish I could put together a map to show how the county gets split up in regards to the Team State Tournament.

It's rather simple.... Team State is right by Indy..... Marion county teams equal almost guaranteed fans no matter what their chances to win state are.... teams from far away who have little chance of winning will not bring in the fans......fans equal money...... So why would the IHSAA not want to make it so multiple Marion County teams can make state?

School Sizes

Lafayette Harrison 1539

Castle 1606

Roncalli 961

Yorktown 642

Perry Meridian 1748

Cathedral 1094

Crown point 1785

Mishawaka 1541

Most of them are bigger schools I wonder why; more money, better coaches, better facillities, more students to go out for the team, better variety of classes,....... the list can go on small schools cant compete.

Wow, 26 schools in Marion County.  I looked and Lake County has 22 schools that offer wrestling.  1 out of 22 as opposed to 3 out of 26, and the rest of the state wonders why the regionites complain so much.

and if cp would have lost to portage at team regionals it would have been ZERO!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.